You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Monk PRC options  (Read 2691 times)

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
Re: Monk PRC options
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2021, 08:28:58 PM »
In that instance, since its outside of that order, then I would apply the Ex-Monk rules where they CAN multiclass but can no longer progress as a monk, but will retain their monk abilities (If this were a different D&D game). http://dnd.arkalseif.info/classes/monk/index.html

In this instance a grimetrekker being a type of fallen monk could be quite thematic and a potential story hook in the right hands.

If not for the relevel crystal this would be a decent approach, but with the relevel crystal it's easy to rearrange a monk's build so the PrC (or other class) levels always end up towards the end of the build.

Bouquet of Lotuses

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2021, 08:56:43 PM »
Is that still possible with the latest relevel crystal change?
Else Dvornikov - Akolyte of the Tyrant

Church of the Lawgiver - Sign up for tyranny today!

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2021, 09:02:30 PM »
Is that still possible with the latest relevel crystal change?

Yes, with hak updates as an example.

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
  • "Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2021, 09:45:45 PM »
In that instance, since its outside of that order, then I would apply the Ex-Monk rules where they CAN multiclass but can no longer progress as a monk, but will retain their monk abilities (If this were a different D&D game). http://dnd.arkalseif.info/classes/monk/index.html

In this instance a grimetrekker being a type of fallen monk could be quite thematic and a potential story hook in the right hands.

If not for the relevel crystal this would be a decent approach, but with the relevel crystal it's easy to rearrange a monk's build so the PrC (or other class) levels always end up towards the end of the build.

To be fair, if they could take Grimetrekker at-will, it would be the same result, anyways. Level 12 monk, then Grimetrekker the rest of the way.

Iolantir

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2021, 10:44:01 PM »

To be fair, if they could take Grimetrekker at-will, it would be the same result, anyways. Level 12 monk, then Grimetrekker the rest of the way.

This would go against the "no more than 10 apart" rule though.

For the record, I do wish monks could be grimetrekkers.

William Roberts

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Lord
  • Thrown a kettle over a pub...what have you done?
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2021, 11:28:50 PM »
PRC prerequisites necessitate that they tend toward the end of the build, regardless of the re-level crystal.

Monks would have to have eight levels under their belt before first level of Grimetrekker (+6 BAB). Ten levels for Divine Champ (+7 BAB).

Beauty like a tightened bow, a kind that is not natural in an age like this.

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2021, 02:52:32 AM »

This would go against the "no more than 10 apart" rule though.

For the record, I do wish monks could be grimetrekkers.

I guess that's true. Does that leveling rule still apply with the unregulated PrC's?

Freydaelyn

• Mistress of Faces
  • Theatre de la Cathedrale
  • Dark Power
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2021, 02:59:02 AM »
I would assume so BSR. Even if you are going two base classes you can not be 18 in one and 2 in the other
Celestial noise detected;Delirium unsuspected
Static tuned in to reason
Time in the aether deepens;Transmissions blink uncompleted

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2021, 09:04:08 AM »
I would assume so BSR. Even if you are going two base classes you can not be 18 in one and 2 in the other

Indeed, you're right; the multiclassing rules apply to all classes, PrCs included.

Bouquet of Lotuses

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2021, 11:06:39 AM »

Indeed, you're right; the multiclassing rules apply to all classes, PrCs included.

Does the 5 minimum prc levels still apply to unregulated prcs as well?

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2021, 11:16:39 AM »
Yes. I encourage everyone to read the rules.

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2021, 11:20:30 AM »

FYI, I never said 18-2, I said 12-8, which if you take Grimetrekker at the appropriate levels, is possible. However, it is only possible in the event that you do not become an ex-Monk and lose the ability to progress in Monk levels, because you would have to take a Grimetrekker level at level 11 to avoid the 10-level difference rule. That's why when you roll a 5 Rogue 15 Fighter build, you can't just slap Rogue at the end of it and call it a day (besides the fact that's worse for your SP pool).

Bouquet of Lotuses

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2021, 11:37:24 AM »

FYI, I never said 18-2, I said 12-8, which if you take Grimetrekker at the appropriate levels, is possible. However, it is only possible in the event that you do not become an ex-Monk and lose the ability to progress in Monk levels, because you would have to take a Grimetrekker level at level 11 to avoid the 10-level difference rule. That's why when you roll a 5 Rogue 15 Fighter build, you can't just slap Rogue at the end of it and call it a day (besides the fact that's worse for your SP pool).

I wasn't asking in reference to your specific example.

The rules state that five levels of a prc must be taken by level twenty. With three total classes it would be possible to meet the 10 apart rule while breaking the five minimum rule. Thus my question.

EO, I don't think anyone here is asking because we don't read the rules, the opposite: people are curious if the lack of regulation means some rules still apply.

Yesper

« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2021, 03:38:19 PM »
The gated apps being removed would not change any existing rules. I don't see how there would be any confusion here.

Bouquet of Lotuses

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2021, 03:52:21 PM »
It's just a question.