Author Topic: The begining of the fall - Confessions of a preacher  (Read 1113 times)

Preacher83

• New to the Mists
  • Missionary from a distant land
The begining of the fall - Confessions of a preacher
« on: August 28, 2021, 03:09:33 PM »
You can call me Preacher. My name is no longer important. It belongs to an increasingly distant and unreachable time and place.

Born and raised in Waterdeep, surrounded by naive adventurers with dreams of fame and fortune in the merciless monstrous dungeon of Halaster Blackstaff, it was only natural that the heroic ideal should also be awakened in me.

My father, a city guard, once met a paladin eager for a disciple, and so, in keeping with my aspirations, at age twelve I was left at his care. He was a good and just man, as I believe all Tyr's followers should be. Quite skilled with your sword too.

At twenty, it was my turn to take the vows and pursue my tutor's career as champion of the god of justice. My career as an adventurer began shortly thereafter. I traveled most of Faerūn spreading the word, and often the sword, in Tyr's name. After having served a decade, I was allowed to establish my own family. A beautiful wife, strong children and a small home in my homeland. Life was good and I could not ask for much more than that. We talked around the fire about leaving a career as a nomadic defender and establishing a quiet life in a city that was always in turmoil. But the gods had different plans.

In my travels I have known the best and worst of this world. Or at least that's what I thought. Until found by the Mist. That damn dark trap.
I was found by this vile entity on the outskirts of Waterdeep. I don't know why I was the victim of his abduction, even if I wasn't alone. So I thank Tyr every day for getting my family out of this tragedy. I pray that you remain safe in your world.

After the first few months, I stopped counting the days. It brought me no comfort, only bitterness at the distance from everything that was most precious to me. I try to understand Tyr's purposes in such an ordeal by allowing him to be dragged into a world where justice is just a twisted idea. The conviction that had been with me for most of my life seems to slip away every day. I constantly struggle with aberrations of this decaying land at the same time as I am caught up in conflict with myself. I'm no longer sure that Tyr's justice is in this place. And if it isn't, what am I doing here? What is my purpose and mission?

With each passing day, the only certainty that accompanies it is that I have to go home. And nothing and no one will stand in my way...
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 06:06:35 PM by Preacher83 »
"For not in my bow do I trust,
    nor can my sword save me.
But you have saved us from our foes
    and have put to shame those who hate us." Psalm 44.6-7

Preacher83

• New to the Mists
Re: The begining of the fall - Confessions of a preacher
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2021, 07:22:34 PM »
"Justice is served in many ways. Some of them are hard and mercyless"

Preacher's Diary

There is some wisdom behind this grim and macabre scenario. I'm beginning to realize that Tyr manifests differently in this place. Not even the deepest darkness can overshadow justice, but here it projects a light unknown to me before.
I see now that evil has perverted goodness and subtly acts through innocent looks and gestures. I feel my vigor renewed in anticipation of rediscovering my purpose in this ordeal. Mercy is a trap, but I still don't know what to do with this information...
May justice guide me and doubt not stop me.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 01:32:58 PM by Preacher83 »

Preacher83

• New to the Mists
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2021, 12:14:11 PM »
"There is real virtue in this place? Or kindness is just deceiving?"

As the last time I set out to write this diary, Tyr's presence still seems far away. I haven't felt him for days and the powers he had given me to serve him have been taken away.
I do not doubt his existence even in this doomed land, but it has been a heavy burden to serve justice in a land where it seems twisted and its god silent.
But today I met kind souls who helped me to correct the scales of justice by eliminating a hundred undeads under a church owned by a god know as The Morning Lord. The most violent undeads I ever met, by the way.
Liliana, a kind and resolute cleric of this unknown god, helped me with my doubts. And so is Isa, a young woman from Faerun, who has given me my hope back by being a devotee of Tyr in this place too.
However, I still don't know if it was a great blessing or a trap to trust mortals while my god remains far away. Time will tell
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 12:18:04 PM by Preacher83 »

Preacher83

• New to the Mists
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2021, 09:11:08 PM »
"You have to change many times to stay in the same place"

After days of absence and silence, Tyr heard my prayers. My gifts started to return. Despite this, something looks different. I feel an unknown presence around me, yet somehow familiar. Perhaps Tyr manifests in other ways in this place, just as justice itself has an unusual character here.
While assisting the priestess of the church, I was faced with the horror of children turned into abominable undead. I long to find the sick mind behind these acts. It will be judged by steel and fury, without mercy, and I will bring terror to all of his kind. And may Tyr's hand guide my sword.

Preacher83

• New to the Mists
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2021, 10:44:39 AM »
"Death is certain, life is not"

The days seem lighter in this dark place. I feel stronger and stronger and many abominations have fallen before me. I realize that people here have accommodated themselves with their sorry condition and resignation in the face of the death that stalks them every night.
I've been trying to help them by eliminating what evil I can around Vallaki, but it's as if my efforts contain only a drop of the lingering evil of this dark world.
I can't stop, but I sure need to be more power. I've been begging Tyr to strengthen me to serve justice, but I'm afraid his contribution alone isn't enough around here.
Until I have this answer, I continue my mission.

Preacher83

• New to the Mists
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2021, 07:02:28 AM »
It's been some time since I've written on these pages.

I've kept myself busy trying to understand and help these people, even though it feels like I'm just clearing the way for something worse, as if evil makes up for the aberrations I eliminate with a worse kind of monstrosity that fills the vacuum I've left.

I have led many foreigners in what I call balancing the scales of justice, destroying the undead and other evil creatures that plague this place. But I believe my own words less and less. Tyr seems present and distant at the same time. I feel the urgency of his law being established here, but also the lack of power to do so. I still don't know how, but I need to find ways to carry out my mission. May Tyr help me. Or anyone else...

Preacher83

• New to the Mists
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2021, 05:52:57 PM »
I am finding a certain comfort in this land.
Barovia is still a corrupt land with no real sense of justice, but maybe that's what has strengthened my purpose. In this place, I have noticed that righteousness is being manifested little by little. The revolution I envision will take longer than I wanted, but small steps, taken with firmness, can take us far.
I have gained precious allies, many still uncertain of their own role, to lessen the ranks of evil and promote justice. Desmond, Brella, Atuar, Empeo, Saya, Ni Lo, Bjorn, and even the hot tempered Sif and others proved his valor to change the fate of the locals and outsiders here.
May Tyr continue to guide my words and my sword.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 06:15:34 PM by Preacher83 »

Preacher83

• New to the Mists
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2021, 10:38:45 PM »
Preacher's diary

Looks like I'm being tested to the limit. Or maybe it's Tyr under test.
Two nights ago, I was surprised by a vampire while on my way to rescue a group of adventurers surrounded by werewolves. The bastard played with me like a lion must play with its prey. I was dominated by just one look. I have never felt so helpless in my life. All my strength, my training and experience of hundreds of battles, was of no use to me. If Tyr was there at the time, he certainly didn't do anything to help me.
The creature was not satisfied with showing my frailty, but it also sank its teeth into me and fed on my blood. In my fury I promised to hunt him and end his existence. But both he and I knew it was an empty threat. I have no means of fulfilling it. And I'm starting to suspect that even Tyr might not have it.

Preacher83

• New to the Mists
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2021, 12:19:01 PM »
Preacher's diary

I can't stop thinking about that encounter with the vampire. All the effort and conviction that I maintained until that moment seems to me now vain and futile. I feel in a constant state of fury.
Usually a good fight helps me with that. But not this time.
I returned this morning to the caves where werewolves take refuge near Vallaki. As at other times, their numbers and ferocity did not frighten me. But for the first time, I was afraid of myself. This time, I didn't just want to rid Barovia of the constant danger these creatures pose. I wanted to make them suffer. To infuse them with terror to flee before me. So I started with the younger ones. I wasn't going to stop slashing at the youngest among them until they felt the pain of grief and loss. As I quenched my thirst for justice, in my own way, I realized that perhaps I had been mistaken from the moment I arrived in this place. The Tyr justice I knew in Faerun is too good for this place. Too quiet to do what needs to be done. That's why Tyr's presence felt so different at first. Evil must be uprooted from here, and for that I need to be worse than them. Bring terror to the creatures of the night so that they, and no longer innocent people, hide in fear.
Now I'm realizing the truth. Evil must be paid for with evil. This is the real balance. True justice.

Preacher83

• New to the Mists
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2021, 08:04:14 PM »
Preacher's diary

A few nights ago, Olivarius surprised me in one of the caves home to the scrags. It's not our first date anymore, but maybe you don't know who it's about. Olivarius is a different kind of vampire. Not just more powerful than most, but with a sense of conduct unusual for his kind. I would say civilized. Civilized and proud. And pride is a great weakness.
As always, it required what it calls a "tribute". A victim.
We were five or six people there, but I volunteered for the sacrifice. I told everyone that my act would save the lives of others, as Olivarius still preserves his agreements. And the blood of one would save the others.
It wasn't a lie, but not every truth either. I would gratefully give everyone's lives there to the vampire without a second thought if I knew it would help me eliminate him, but Olivarius' pride gave me a better alternative.
My offer lowered its guard and in its arrogance it ended up revealing the region where its daytime refuge is located. As they say, pride precedes ruin.
The wound from his bite still hurts, but the tactic has achieved its goal. The end of the vampire is closer today thanks to me. However, I believe that I still lack the strength to destroy it. And I will get it, whatever it takes.

Preacher83

• New to the Mists
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2021, 02:54:21 PM »
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 04:23:50 PM by Preacher83 »

Preacher83

• New to the Mists
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2021, 06:31:46 PM »
Preacher's diary

The days have passed fast. Maybe to get away from who I was in the past more quickly.
From protector of the law to a criminal. A rebel. A revolutionary.
I don't know at what point the ends came to justify the means, but justice must prevail at all costs. I'm tired of oppression, corruption, meaningless violence, but most of all, I'm tired of apathy.
The people of this place, and even those who have been dragged into it, simply accept everything as cattle accept the slaughterhouse. They are beaten, arrested and executed on a whim and still do nothing.
I can't watch this anymore. If the weakness of your hearts prevents a reaction, then I will be the strength. And others will follow me, I know.
I have made alliances that would surely get me thrown out of my order in Faerūn. But I'm not in Faerūn anymore.
I think less and less about Tyr. Only justice matters, no matter where it comes from.

Preacher83

• New to the Mists
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2021, 01:15:50 PM »
Preacher's diary

My suspicions have been confirmed. Tyr is not here. I doubt any Faerūn deities are. Someone or something gave me powers, but even that was taken away from me.
Better that way. The limitations of otherworldly justice were keeping me from doing what needs to be done.
I have studied and learned a lot about the arcane arts. Mainly about invocations. If there is anything capable of granting power, real power, I need to find it.
The changes I had planned in Vallaki were too small. I can't just be content with judging people, the system itself has to be changed. A vision that few here have, and even fewer have the power to effect change. But I will find the means to do this, no matter what the price.

Preacher83

• New to the Mists
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2021, 03:01:16 PM »
Preacher's Diary

You cannot break a man like you break a horse or dog. The more you hit him, higher he stands.

The effects of my murder ran fast. The rebellion broke up as quickly as Vallaki's garda. Dead or removed, one by one, their ranks slumped until they were a joke, unable to enforce order even within their walls. However, people remain trapped in their imaginary shackles. It is an impossible task to free someone who has become used to their chains.
Death brought clarity to my mind. Tyr finally abandoned me. Or maybe I abandoned him. The fact is, we see things differently in this place. I think he is too kind to evildoers. He lets them live. A mistake I won't make again.
It was Tyr's weakness that led me to aid those who treacherously killed me. Never again.
Ironically, separating from Tyr made my spirit stronger but my body weakened. Something that needs to be remedied, as my enemies have grown in strength and number during my absence. And I think I know exactly where to find that strength...