Within the swirling Mist (IC) > Biographies

Eternal Dajemma - Vasya Sarukina

(1/3) > >>

Cursed:
I now know I shall not again find Uuthrakt or the village once more. Rashemen was distant and Thay even more distant. No longer her property, apprentice, or test subject I find myself uncomfortably alone without direction. It is lonely to be with my thoughts. Without the guidance of someone who makes decisions for me is a strange sensation. This is what freedom is called I wonder? It is a frightening prospect. My family said I was born cursed. I am a product of their sins manifested into flesh. Sin would come naturally to me or perhaps I would sin because I have been led to believe that it is pointless to change? I do not know. I do not like writing 'I do not know'. I desire to know all. I have a compulsion to sate, a void to fill. Coveting knowledge is in my blood and in my faith. I do not know what this uncertain path will bring, but I know I have a choice in my destiny. My journey has begun.

Therefore I choose to write onto here principles I shall live by.

--- Quote ---I shall never speak the full truth of my past.

I shall gather knowledge and truth from all.

I shall use the truth to enlighten others.

I shall repay loyalty to me with loyalty in turn.

I shall not betray the secrets of those I know.

I shall not harm those who pose me no threat.

I shall choose my path and never relinquish freedom.
--- End quote ---

Cursed:
Hazlan Travelogue Draft
Vasya Sarukina

--- Quote ---Foreword

I've had time to study the land of Hazlan in greater detail. I feel akin to a tourist who has gotten a little too deep in my immersion in this tyrannical, horrible land. The Rashemi serfs look and feel like the people of my homeland but I had to learn the language from a kind Vaasi man who naively served the Church of the Lawgiver and its potential virtues. Yet, the truth is clear to those who spend enough time in the semi-arid land where the Mulan minority reign over my kin in this land. References to Thay and Rashemen are widespread but subdued. I heard mention of the Mulan homeland which makes me wonder if this means Thay or perhaps even Mulhorand. When I spoke of Rashemen in secret to some of my kin, it was regarded as semi-legendary and distant but it had been remembered even only in the part that it is the old homeland. This means both groups are strangers to Hazlan and had come from afar to the Core in settling it before the current state of affairs.

Culture of Hazlan

The people of Hazlan differ markedly from many other realms of the Core. The oppressive air is comparable to that of Barovia with menacing bodyguards carrying whips being commonplace. This is contrasted by the dens of pleasure where hookah and opium is consumed in lounges, bazaars, and back-alley establishments. Rashemi serfs work day in and day out with only a minority enjoying the fruits of leisure and pleasure among those fortunate enough to be merchants or burghers in cities to live a life remotely similar to their Mulan counterparts. Hazlan is land of two dominant peoples the Mulan and Rashemi with a notable village of Forfarians in Forfarmax which is likely the only notable Forfarian-lived settlement other than Immol in Barovia.

Hazlani literature and stories are prominent about stories of the warrior kings of old in Mulani tradition. Although many works of literature and poetry can be found in Toyalis and Sly-Var, oral tradition is powerful and no more evident than in shadow puppetry shown both in public or in theatres dedicated to the work including a notable establishment in Ramulai. Many stories tell of the old glories of Mulani warrior kings, mythological creatures being defeated by heroic people, unironically, resisting tyranny, and the end of paganism and Myterri.

Hazlani food and drink differ significantly from that of its neighbor in Barovia where plum brandy is readily had. Among the Rashemi in particular boza, a drink made of wheat berries, is popular as a strong beverage. Garlicky is a popular soup for hangovers caused by hangovers. Other common dishes included dolma, stuffed vegetables, and kebab, various meats mixed together. Although coffee is enjoyed by many, tea is far more commonplace. Another popular dish among the Mulani is çorba, a rice based dish. Many Pharazian spices enter Hazlan from the south and has a left an indelible mark on Hazlani cuisine and dishes that are influenced by spices of the Amber Wastes. A popular dish imported from Nova Vaasa is flæskesteg, which is a heavy pork-based dinner.

The People of Hazlan

The denizens of Hazlan compose of the Mulan ruling minority who enjoy privileges and wealth off the back of Rashemi serfs and demi-human slaves of those who trespassed or committed crimes to be taken in chains. The Mulan are traditional people who reinforce their control by using the Iron Faith of Nova Vaasa to their advantage in establishing Mulan superiority. It is perhaps a little amusing they are placed above and recognized as superior to the Vaasans who introduced them to the faith in the first place. The Mulan are often taller than the Rashemi and slimmer as well as traditional in shaving their scalps much like the Mulan of Thay. Lord Hazlik the Red Wizard is Mulan, however, despite the caste-like system between Mulan, Vaasan, foreigner (apparently above Rashemi), Rashemi, and slaves there is unique social mobility for foreigners and Rashemi to be legally Mulan should they be accepted into Hazlik's Red Academy. Such social mobility for the Rashemi or foreigners is undoubtedly looked upon with utter disdain by the Mulan who value their position atop the Hazlani hierarchy. It is also rather interesting to witness local Vaasan clergy accept the supremacy of the Mulan considering the Lawgiver faith is Vaasicentric and the history of the faith is about Old Vaasa and the Vaasi nation, but the passing of faith and language has given significant influences of Vaasan culture to diffuse into Mulani society.

The Rashemani of the land are largely placid and roughly outnumber the Mulan ten to one. They are virtually identical to those of Rashemen physically, but years of servitude have left an indelible mark on the physique of the people here as subservient and meek. Most of the production of the land as well as physical security of the land is accomplished by the Rashemi under the direction and orders of the Mulan. Many household guards are Rashemi who carry whips quite evidently to use them on lesser positioned Rashemi who cause offense. Rashemi can gain some measure of autonomy depending on the disposition of their Mulan landowners and rulers but without fail their marriages are not recognized and tyrants abuse and use them for their own twisted pleasures despite the dogma of the Lawgiver regarding the rejection of unequal persons. It is little wonder a small, but persistent rebellion among the Rashemi exist to oppose the rule of the Mulan. Although, given what is known about the rebellion I cannot help but suspect the rebellion is also a tool of control. A theory of mine is that Lord Hazlik for instance could utilize such a revolt in order to keep his subordinate Mulan in line and that might lie in perhaps why the rebellion has not been fully stamped out, yet.

Erroneously known as the Red Wizards abroad, for only Hazlik is referred to as the Red Wizard in Hazlan's borders, the people of the Red Academy are largely Mulan with some privileged Rashemi and foreigners accepted into its halls.  Uniquely in the ethnic system of Hazlan, all wizards of the academy are legally Mulan and therefore it is one of the rare ways a Rashemi can rise in status which muddies the question of hierarchy and what privileges they have in the eys of the Church of the Lawgiver. The Rashemi of the academy are largely seen as traitors by the resentful Rashemi who rebel against Hazlik's authority and they are hated by the Mulan who value their position in society, therefore making them loyal only to the man who has given them their current privileges. It is even said several of the wizards do not care for the faith of the Lawgiver and some of them view themselves as gods or even worship otherworldly gods. There is gossip regarding the potential treachery of those who rise too far as a few former apprentices became notorious in other lands of Barovia and Dementlieu such as Halvor Hadiya or Nasir Razthelyk. Notable graduates of the academy include the Vraylock Helenah Kerpatis and Lady Eleni of Toyalis.

The Faith of Hazlan

Hazlan has a strict system of rules that colors its way of life. However, it has significant influence in being a location where modest proselytizing efforts are sent from the Hazlani border into Immol and other villages of Barovia. The Church of the Lawgiver tells about the creation of the world and on human supremacy based on sin. Demi-humans or humans with inhumane marks are physical bearers of the sin of their forefathers before them. Most of those who are not of divine-human blood are slaves.

The strict Church hierarchy gives way to endemic corruption as those in positions of power regularly abuse their authority which cannot be questioned by those below them but only by those placed above them. Those who are in a position of authority are granted the Lawgiver's blessing to rule as one sees fit until someone above deems this mandate subverted for personal gain or blasphemy. On remarking on the Church's similarity to that of the worship of Bane, I was lambasted for speaking god's name aloud to my own surprise. It does indeed have some parallels to Banite doctrine in some respects, but the emphasis on human supremacy and Vaasi superiority makes it a unique faith that may pay homage to the very same tyrannical god.

The Iron Faith has a rather daunting task ahead of them as by doctrine Myterri is rebellionn as it is evil. Arcane magic is considered blasphemy by the Church of Nova Vaasa. However, matters differ in Hazlan and opinions given differ depending on clergy in Hazlan. Some assert the Vaasan viewpoint while others consider it more so a 'gateway' to Myterri if left unchecked and therefore this gives leeway enough to consider those of the academy to not be of Myterri, but it is very likely they will fall prey to Myterri given their practices. This exceptional policy may be a source of conflict in the Church, but existentially it is likely those who loyally serve Hazlik will be grudgingly tolerated for the time being by higher church authorities in Hazlan. I foresee some practical acceptance of magical use through regulation and a scrutinizing gaze from the clergy of those who would follow the footsteps of wizards who would defy the order of Hazlan.

The History of Hazlan

There are not many resources about the past of Hazlan prior to the rule of Lord Hazlik. However, the rulers of old are often left nameless as it appears to be an iron tradition to ensure past rulers are forgotten in name so that the glories of current rulers remain unchallenged. In 714 BC Lord Hazlik came to rule this land following years of intrigue and fighting between powerful Mulan houses of uncertain origin in a period known as the Years of the Tattered Banners.

A nameless King once ruled before Hazlik, but his name is lost to time and conflict. Under Hazlik's early rule consisted of prescribing the use of arcane magic and the conversion of Hazlan to the faith of the Lawgiver which in turn attempted to spread with moderate success toward Immol in Barovia. In the Summer of 740 Hazlik permits the study of arcane magic and opens the Red Academy in Ramulai which he created out of the earth in a single day.

--- End quote ---

Cursed:

--- Quote ---I have learned ever so much in the past month. The Core and its endless possibilities fascinate me ever so. The Barovian people were unsurprisingly unwelcoming as my own kindred were at the sight of me in Rashemen. Yet, my fellow outsiders were almost universally kind and understanding. It was an extraordinary sensation. I could let down my guard a little, and it was a little strange to be treated as a person after spending my entire life as property. But, so much happened in the blink of an eye, and there is so much more to come.

I met many who told me more about the Core and its people. A man named Aeric saved me from a werewolf about to chomp me into pieces. Siasobek wrote me a letter for employment. I met Morten and Marcus took me to Hazlan, where I began to work as a pretend bodyguard. Curiously the Rashemi people did look like my kindred from home, and on mention of Rashemen, it was referred in a manner I would only consider as semi-legendary. The great game of pretending began. It had sounded like a good place to learn. I was certain that Marcus was a good man, and despite how dreary Hazlan seemed, there was a boundless opportunity for me to learn more of the Core and study magic.

I was far, far too enthusiastic, and perhaps my childlike glee was too much. I watched flagellations, murders, and severe punishment for others. My strange features were pointed out, and I was derisively labeled 'Caliban.' There was confusion about my status as free or a slave due to my inhuman traits, and I realized my liberty was in constant peril. I sought to redouble my illusion as a bodyguard with the pistol Stella had given me, but I did not expect what was to come. What had turned into a hunt for scrags turned into a hunt for the rebels. Never had I taken another's life until pushed. I was reluctant to take human life, it seemed wrong. They told me that the rebels were rabid dogs of Myterri and nothing more. They were right that I would have stood by if they attacked Marcus. I felt so helpless, ashamed, and vulnerable under their scrutinizing gaze. I was nothing, and I could end up like these wretched ones. I killed three and scalped twenty. I failed Marcus and myself. I resolved never to feel so weak ever again.

After tasting freedom I realized, I would never give it up even unto death. Without Marcus's patronage, I quickly realized that if something were to befall him, I might be at the mercy of the Church-run by one who despised my strangeness and was not shy to show his eagerness to take me as a servant or slave. The sane choice would be to leave Halzan forever.

Curiosity over caution. My study was incomplete. My insatiable thirst for knowledge and relics had to be sated, yet also, what of my friends who risk becoming enslaved once more? I feel there will be a cost to my soul, but the risk is worthy of the endeavor on my quest for self-realization.

So, I remain.
--- End quote ---

Cursed:

--- Quote ---It worked! It worked! I am a genius! I had second thoughts and doubts, but after taking this new substance called Needle I forgot my worries and I knew I could complete the procedure in full. The subject was a slave that was likely meant for fireball testing in a manner that saved him from an ignoble and wasteful fate. His life was fully in my hands. I promised him his freedom following the magical and surgical procedure that would forever change our lives.

I provided anesthesia from Port-a-Lucine to ensure he felt no pain. He lost consciousness before his inferior eyes were removed and stored away for a future transplant when necessary. After the conjuring, we acquired the eyes of the devil and subdued the mischievous creature before it could disturb my work. It was then my remedial training in surgery complemented with the high of the substance and my magical aid we were able to successfully apply the eyes into the sleeping subject and attach the nerves properly. Yet, the tissue rejected the fiendish eyes. We realized, quickly there needed a symbiosis and a transfusion of fiendish blood. It was then I realized he needed my blood!

After a quick transfusion, the eyes no longer were being rejected. The patient was soon awake, unsurprisingly he felt pain from the procedure in his eyes for which a daily dose of red tears was recommended from me for a week's time. But, he could see! He was alive! He was going to be free! Perhaps In time, I could write ethical regulations to ensure test subjects are not wasted and unnecessary pain is eliminated in the bowels of the Tables. I was told I was wasting my time and my heart was 'soft' time and again to an annoying extent...

I felt so elated to perform my procedure without the characteristic madness and sadism of others in this place of nightmares. I took care to ensure he felt no pain, I had prepared to revive him should he perish because I care. Now we have proof of concept and we can improve others' lives with my efforts. Yet, the words of the now freed patient haunt me, but why?

"But, why?" He said to me. He questioned why we even did this procedure. Didn't he see I took proper care to ensure he was not in pain? That he would not die? That he would be given his freedom from being a test subject forever? That he would be better than any ordinary human? His eyes were as effective as my own fiendish pair that could see in the darkness and perhaps his own were better in seeing through magical darkness...

As the substance faded, my doubts returned. But, wasn't this a triumph? A success? I made him better didn't I? I did it the most ethical way possible. Am I wrong?
--- End quote ---

Cursed:

--- Quote ---It hurts. The nightmare became a reality so quickly, despite the Fane's reassurances and words. They were all lies, all to lure me in and tear me apart like the freakI am. I thought the Academy would bestow me protection from cruelties meant for slaves or servants, but as the phantom pains persist I realize how so wrong I was in this degenerate land of cruelty. It does not matter how subservient and benign I behave or if I were to choose the inflict the worst cruelties, to hire the worst brutes to kill those who have wronged me. I will always be the degenerate in their eyes regardless of the color of my robes.

The nightmarish cell with the miasma of despair and the scrutinous eyes of judgment upon me. Not for any crime, I had done, but simply by having the audacity to exist whether I served or whether I rebelled. The lies of the Iron Paradise were a thin veneer of control they didn't care if I wanted to save my soul or not or if the Academy delighted in my project's results that served Hazlik. I thought as a direct servant of Hazlik I would gain status. I did not think to use it to be cruel but to keep cruelty at bay. I realize how naive I've been and the cruelties I must inflict on others to gain this respect and distance. I had thought I was going to die in that hole. I could barely think of escape much less understand what the Academy shouted at the Vaasan zealots as Livny and the instructor dragged me to safety. In my pain, I could see the people who cared about a freak like me. Fariha saw to my health and Dilara said she would protect me.

I wanted nothing more than to escape to the drug dens to forget it all. Sannish. Needle. Joy. The nightmares keep me from rest without the aid of poppy and never want to return to Hazlan. Yet, I cannot abandon the few people who showed me humanity. Marcus protected me even at his own risk and I shall never forget it. I am an undeserving of pity as a red apprentice and, yet, perhaps I can make it slightly less wretched and learn something of importance. I can help them against the yoke of tyranny and use what I learned to free even one soul.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version