Author Topic: CL not working in dispel with palemaster  (Read 549 times)

pipilanstrum

• New to the Mists
CL not working in dispel with palemaster
« on: August 01, 2021, 04:29:42 AM »
Dispel functions aren't working properly with palemaster. It dosen't add CL. At a lvl 20 a palemaster Will try to dispel as a lvl 10 or less depending on the build. Myself a mele orientated Will be less than lvl 10. PVP has an important effect in your PC, beeing corspe hide ,etc... I think its an issue that should be adressed. Geting your premonition dispeled by a gong, its no cool. Others servers have It working, its a softcode.

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
Re: CL not working in dispel with palemaster
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2021, 05:29:25 AM »
Caster Level is actually a hardcoded engine feature. There are some NWNx plugins that allow overriding of the Caster Level on effects, but we are not currently using any plugin for this. Caster Level is something the engine sets behind the scenes when a spell effect gets created, which affects both dispel effects and spell resistance. Hopefully Enhanced Edition will someday give us the ability to override the caster level of effects natively.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 05:31:39 AM by Bad_Bud »

Revenant

• Noot Noot
  • Dark Lord
  • Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2021, 05:37:47 AM »
Palemasters need a weakness. That's it. Against people who can't or won't dispel you, you're just an objectively better wizard.
Vicerimus Mortem.

pipilanstrum

• New to the Mists
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2021, 06:59:01 AM »
First off all this ain't a post off "should we nerf palemaster" i recommend you sticking to the subject. If not don't bother posting in Bug reports.
Secondly , It requires rewriting every spell, and the dispel functions, to account for it. Which is probably requires a lot off work.  There's some uploads on the vault that take care of it that they could use. PRC one of them, I think... EMS is another, Jasperre or Shadooow's content might work too.

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2021, 01:32:18 PM »
It's not worth a total rewrite of Spell Resistance, Spell Immunity, Dispel Magic, and Spell Breach, in my opinion. There are a lot of moving parts and it gets especially complicated when you start dealing with persistent spells such as Wall of Dispel. While you could do it feasibly well at time of casting, it gets difficult when an effect is being dispelled. There's no reasonable way to determine if a spell came from a potion at a much lower CL, from the caster's spellbook, from another player's item, etc.

All of our magic is already heavily customized, so dropping in someone else's scripts isn't a feasible thing to do. In the case of EMS, I tried to look at the source to at least see what it was doing to achieve its baseline functionality, but EMS only includes compiled scripts with no source, which is just a waste of time.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 01:34:05 PM by Bad_Bud »

tylernwn

• Dark Lord
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2021, 01:34:50 PM »
This seems like an unfortunate bug for palemasters. But from what bad bud is saying, it seems like when the spell is cast the engine then takes over and outputs a spell with a cl on it. But after the spell is output, it is hard to map the spell backwards to see where the spell/buff came from as the information is missing. I’m guessing trying to work around this system will either be too much work, or too resource intensive on the server.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 01:45:39 PM by tylernwn »

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2021, 02:36:58 PM »
Yes, that's a better way of putting it. Overriding CL is something that's been on the wishlist as long as I can remember. I'll ask if anything has changed with the NWNx implementations since the last time I looked into it.