You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Replacing edelweiss  (Read 2206 times)

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
  • "Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
Re: Replacing edelweiss
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2021, 01:00:46 AM »
Aren't you able to buy Invisibility scrolls in Mt. Baratak's observatory? This seems like a non-issue for Rogues, who should all have UMD given how many skill points they get. If you are a rogue who is purposefully not learning how to UMD, then learn herbalism.

Bouquet of Lotuses

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2021, 01:38:19 AM »
Aren't you able to buy Invisibility scrolls in Mt. Baratak's observatory? This seems like a non-issue for Rogues, who should all have UMD given how many skill points they get. If you are a rogue who is purposefully not learning how to UMD, then learn herbalism.

All the Barovian rogues with maxed out con and wisdom?

Just asking again where the problem was with edelweiss as it was. Never heard an herbalist complain about not enough sales. This just takes more from rogues and more from mundane PCs who wouldn't learn UMD.
Else Dvornikov - Akolyte of the Tyrant

Church of the Lawgiver - Sign up for tyranny today!

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2021, 02:18:41 AM »
I think the best suggestion given was to stockpile your own ravenclaw and then find herbalists and ask them to make Invisibility potions for you. Ravenclaw is pretty abundant, and it should end up much cheaper than buying edelweiss.

Frankly, if you're willing to buy Edelweiss at, what, 400 a pop,  you've probably got the cash to become a herb middleman; buy herbs from noobs cheap and trade them to herbalists. Invisi potions usually cost around 200 - 250 in cash, at least when I did herbalism, but you can probably squeeze in a lot more on the margins if you're trading in kind and in bulk. Point is, you'll probably end up saving money.

You can also ask around with merchants for rings of Invisibility. Those have 50 charges, and generally are far better value than potions.

It might take a bit more time and require a bit more RP to find these, but it'll be far cheaper in the long run.

Edit note: actually I just checked my old price list, invisis were 150. So even better.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 02:31:04 AM by aprogressivist »
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2021, 05:58:27 AM »

Just asking again where the problem was with edelweiss as it was. Never heard an herbalist complain about not enough sales. This just takes more from rogues and more from mundane PCs who wouldn't learn UMD.

If a Barovian rogue isn't willing to use a scroll and UMD to turn invisible, the Edelweiss being an exception is an extremely gamey opinion, as the spell effects of the Edelweiss are WYSIWYG and do literally turn you invisible, which is a magical effect, per server ruling on the matter. Potions prove a plentiful alternative and boost the player economy.

Bouquet of Lotuses

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2021, 06:48:42 AM »

If a Barovian rogue isn't willing to use a scroll and UMD to turn invisible, the Edelweiss being an exception is an extremely gamey opinion, as the spell effects of the Edelweiss are WYSIWYG and do literally turn you invisible, which is a magical effect, per server ruling on the matter. Potions prove a plentiful alternative and boost the player economy.

It was sold by a Barovian in a Barovian town.

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2021, 07:03:58 AM »

Yet, the ruling remains that it the effects of the Edelweiss are WYSIWYG. Vallaki also has an herbalist exterior of it, within the jurisdiction of the Garda, which may even be one and the same in this conversation. All the same, if you turn invisible using the Edelweiss infront of a Garda, how precisely are you going to explain that you're turning invisible? -- Remember, the Herbalist is a woman with a Fey partner who is on the periphery of society. The archetypical view of a witch in classical literature is literally a woman working over a boiling pot and stirring it, concocting potions and other things that the villagers do not understand and terrify them, and witchcraft is not a science to be pursued and hunted for. It is a fearful reaction to the unknown that they do not understand, including poisons, alchemy, potions that produce magical effects, and direct magic itself.

Duayne

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2021, 07:11:54 AM »
Spoiler: show

Yet, the ruling remains that it the effects of the Edelweiss are WYSIWYG. Vallaki also has an herbalist exterior of it, within the jurisdiction of the Garda, which may even be one and the same in this conversation. All the same, if you turn invisible using the Edelweiss infront of a Garda, how precisely are you going to explain that you're turning invisible? -- Remember, the Herbalist is a woman with a Fey partner who is on the periphery of society. The archetypical view of a witch in classical literature is literally a woman working over a boiling pot and stirring it, concocting potions and other things that the villagers do not understand and terrify them, and witchcraft is not a science to be pursued and hunted for. It is a fearful reaction to the unknown that they do not understand, including poisons, alchemy, potions that produce magical effects, and direct magic itself.

...I'm confused by your reasoning here. First, you say potions are an alternative to "WYSIWYG" consumables. Then you go on to say herbalism is NOT that? Surely the potion effects fall under WYSIWYG as well, since they are simply providing the same spell effect on a potion of invisibility & edelweiss? I have also seen player Garda purchasing and using potions, one to name is see invis. I can't remember if this provoked any NPC reaction in the outskirts as this happened maybe a year ago now.

Please can you link this ruling for reference?

Bouquet of Lotuses

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2021, 07:23:45 AM »
Potions have the exact same effect.

Barovians aren't the only mundane PCs, while they may be fearful of the magic, for example it is viable for others. I don't play a Barovian but I wouldn't find it strange for one to accept edelweiss but not a scroll.

I think the heart of the matter is that multiple people have spoken up that they rely on these. Additionally, a number of other plants continue to be sold which replace potion effects. Removing edelweiss to promote herbalism but leaving the rest is inconsistent and I don't believe that anyone really thinks there is an issue with not enough potions being bought.

There is an issue, though, in narrowing available options available to players and pushing all players down the same meta builds, everyone is a spellcaster, everyone needs potions, etc. Variety of options are good in game design and this is a choice that could be handled with a scalpel rather than a hammer.

For my part, I'm really not looking forward to the increased grind it will be just to do a bit of ninjalooting. Any arcane spellcaster such as Beguiler who may as well just replace rogue, any spellcaster can throw on invisibility for free and not expend a single resource to do so. For those who aren't invested in magic, we are being asked to do more work than we used to, whether that is to hope we run into an herbalist with enough supply or to start the boring grind of herbalism ourselves.

It's not fun. Overwhelming feelings of "great, more work, less fun" are all that someone like myself and I suspect those who spoke up against it get to feel.

Telling us just buy potions, just have a different build...it ignores the fact that we had something that made the game more enjoyable for us and now we're asked to treat it a little bit more like a job. There's no increase to fun coming out of this change, not a single person is going to enjoy themselves more.

A number of people are going to have the exact opposite experience.

It is frankly very difficult to play characters from anti-magic native societies, small options like this make our lives a little easier. I don't think that people who get all the benefits of magic at the drop of the hat can appreciate the difficulty. I'm not asking for anything we didn't have before.

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2021, 07:38:25 AM »
Spoiler: show

...I'm confused by your reasoning here. First, you say potions are an alternative to "WYSIWYG" consumables. Then you go on to say herbalism is NOT that? Surely the potion effects fall under WYSIWYG as well, since they are simply providing the same spell effect on a potion of invisibility & edelweiss? I have also seen player Garda purchasing and using potions, one to name is see invis. I can't remember if this provoked any NPC reaction in the outskirts as this happened maybe a year ago now.

Please can you link this ruling for reference?

It's a ruling that's issued over time, in non-specific incidents. If you search, "WYSIWYG" on the PoTM Forums, you'll find a number of references to magical effects being regarded as WYSIWYG, including this post dated from 2011 from BlueBomber4ver.

I never stated potions were not WYSIWYG, I stated they are all WYSIWYG. Potions are, Edelweiss are, and that the Barovian character using Edelweiss should be equally comfortable procuring Invisibility Potions, or using Invisibility Scrolls, which are both plentiful within the module and can be found at a price (usually) cheaper than the Edelweiss flower. It is not an excuse for why Edelweiss fulfilled a separate function and role for specific character concepts who desired to remain mundane.

Simply put? You are turning invisible. Whether a flower with magical properties did it for you, a potion, or reading a scroll, the end result is the same. Any character who is willing to eat an Edelweiss to turn invisible, is literally consuming an item producing a magical effect which will receive the same response as a spell cast, a potion consumed, or a scroll read to society as the visual effect is 1-1, What You See Is What You Get.

I'm sure there's a unified post somewhere, or the Server Staff can chime in to reinforce the notion. Like many rulings, these things are brought to common sense, that if you are being turned invisible by an item with a magical property, you are being turned invisible. There's no other explanation for it.

However, as EO touched on earlier? Rogues are the most easy breezy mundane ninjalooters you'll find. Yet, I would struggle to question how a mundane character can dance with the supernatural to get his goods. If you find trouble with that, your character will face the trials and tribulations that being surrounded by magical monsters and creatures comes with, without a magical counter-balance.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 07:40:33 AM by BraveSirRobin »

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2021, 02:03:40 PM »
I think it would make perfect sense for the server to ensure that Dust of Disappearance is sold in certain places, e.g. the Illusionist shop in Dementlieu (if it doesn't sell this already, because it should).

I never saw the use of these items as purely utilitarian -- there's also an aspect which is simply enhancing the flavour of the setting. You see Dust of Disappearance in the Illusionist shop, and you think, "yeah, that makes sense", even if you never, ever intend to buy it.

I don't know where it would make sense to sell Dust in Barovia (again, assuming it isn't already), but if it's not, adding some to a merchant somewhere would be entirely reasonable IMO.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”

Bouquet of Lotuses

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2021, 02:08:40 PM »
I think it would make perfect sense for the server to ensure that Dust of Disappearance is sold in certain places, e.g. the Illusionist shop in Dementlieu (if it doesn't sell this already, because it should).

I never saw the use of these items as purely utilitarian -- there's also an aspect which is simply enhancing the flavour of the setting. You see Dust of Disappearance in the Illusionist shop, and you think, "yeah, that makes sense", even if you never, ever intend to buy it.

I don't know where it would make sense to sell Dust in Barovia (again, assuming it isn't already), but if it's not, adding some to a merchant somewhere would be entirely reasonable IMO.

I'd find this solution acceptable, even if it winds up costing more, it would provide something for players to access that isn't fully dependent on supply & demand.

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2021, 02:10:53 PM »
This might sound a little frank, but should we really be encouraging the usage of things such as Edelweiss or Dust of Disappearance to facilitate invisibility-based ninjalooting on classes that neither have the appropriate OL/Hide/MS to tackle the dungeons they're trying to loot, nor the ability to natively cast invisibility? I mean, Edelweiss in Port's University doesn't even offer Invisibility, it offers Remove Disease properties. The fact that it there are Invisibility Edelweisses out there in obscure locations, no-where near the starting zone of the server, seems like a design oversight that should have been rectified ages ago.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2021, 02:12:26 PM »
No, but the high cost of Dust of Disappearance vs. the cost of player-crafted or -looted consumables should naturally tend to discourage players from resorting to such.

Especially if the price disparity is as high as I think it is, I mean, damn, my herbalist sold invisi's for 150!

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2021, 02:13:28 PM »
I'm pretty sure Dust of Disappearance gives you Improved Invisbility (I'm just drawing from memory here) and it costs 2500+ gold at a vendor.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2021, 02:15:00 PM »
Oh. Well. Maybe use the Rokuma mask thing. Could sell some at the Curios shop in Vallaki...

Bouquet of Lotuses

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2021, 02:16:28 PM »
Two things: This doesn't just affect ninjalooters and/or rogues. It was said in the minor issues thread that this affects people's ability to escape or travel.

Second: With that logic, shouldn't we remove all items in game that provide some sort of magical benefit, since we shouldn't encourage PCs to do content they otherwise wouldn't be able to do?

The overall design of the server is heavily focused on requiring magic to do content, however, the server design also consistently looks to provide non-scroll items which make up the difference for mundane PCs who prepare. What is your reasoning for singling out this item, rather than all of the items in the server that provide magical benefits?

Re: progressivist's idea: Yes, selling the Rokuma mask at curios shops would be a great solution!

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2021, 02:22:29 PM »
Two things: This doesn't just affect ninjalooters and/or rogues. It was said in the minor issues thread that this affects people's ability to escape or travel.

Second: With that logic, shouldn't we remove all items in game that provide some sort of magical benefit, since we shouldn't encourage PCs to do content they otherwise wouldn't be able to do?

The overall design of the server is heavily focused on requiring magic to do content, however, the server design also consistently looks to provide non-scroll items which make up the difference for mundane PCs who prepare. What is your reasoning for singling out this item, rather than all of the items in the server that provide magical benefits?

Re: progressivist's idea: Yes, selling the Rokuma mask at curios shops would be a great solution!

Over the years, the Dev team has been slowly removing magical items from vendors where they can be acquired reliably that do not require a class skill to use. That's why you find scroll vendors everywhere, but you'll be hard-pressed to find a vendor selling potions of any value or merit. Items acquired in the loot pool stimulate the economy, and the player economy is more important to facilitate interaction. Given the Edelweiss is sold in Village of Barovia, and in Port? I was discussing this earlier with someone- Only veteran players would really understand where these objects are, and where they can be found. Characters who are below the required level to survive the night shouldn't be travelling into a level 10-14 zone to acquire a flower from an obscure vendor so they can use it to travel at night back in the level 2 zone.

That's almost the definition of using OOC knowledge to your advantage, and it's a terribly out-of-character move, but one that primarily benefits veteran players who want to quickly get up to speed, not new players who don't know the server.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 02:24:10 PM by BraveSirRobin »

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2021, 02:29:00 PM »
Some places keep selling Barkskin potions because the Devs understand that PC markets can collapse due to inactivity; this was a point that came up when Barkskins were added to the Herbalism system and subsequently removed from many (but not all) vendors.

On that ground, Bouquet's point about preserving alternative (if disproportionately expensive) sources for Invisibility is consistent. Yes, players should favour the player economy to get their invisibilities, but...

The point about OOC knowledge then is inconsistent, because it would require going against finding these alternative sources across the board.

Bouquet of Lotuses

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2021, 02:31:51 PM »
So...two solutions/thoughts here.

Problem: "The item is somewhere new players can't get". So put it somewhere else?

Invisibility is available to casters at a very low level, and is used from then on to level 20. It's not a low level desire to be invisible.

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2021, 02:43:37 PM »
In their current implementation, they're in zones where your character shouldn't be naturally progressing in the first place, and the examples given were to use them tactically to escape conflicts/escape, or to use them to travel the night before your character can survive it.

The former sounds like a pro gamer move from veteran players who know to run out, do an ox cart, get some Edelweiss at the dealer after carefully running past all of the Ogres, and bandits on the way there because you can't kill them, and then sitting on 3-5 of them for a rainy day.

The latter sounds like it's directly circumventing the design philosophy of the server for a mundane character, instead of banding together with other players, buying potions being sold by other players, or travelling during the day-time. We've had other threads discussing the trivialization of fearing the dangers of the night, and how it becomes a responsibility settled upon the shoulders of a player to engage that fear reasonably.

So if it isn't used to provide ninjalooting options to classes that aren't really meant to do it, and whom do not have the gear or the supplies to do it, and if the other option is to use it for low-level characters to travel in Barovia by night who do not have access to stealth, potions, or their own magic, but also know they cannot survive travelling at night-- Which as I said, seems like it's going against the design philosophy of the server--

What are the uses of adding a low-cost invisibility-providing alternative item to the Edelweiss (low-cost being lower than the cost of Dust of Disappearance, at 2,500 gold) at presumably some distant high level location, that does not conflict with these things? How does this benefit the community and enforce the setting?

So...two solutions/thoughts here.

Problem: "The item is somewhere new players can't get". So put it somewhere else?

Invisibility is available to casters at a very low level, and is used from then on to level 20. It's not a low level desire to be invisible.

That wasn't the problem. The problem was, the Edelweiss dependency only helped people who knew about it to begin with, meaning it realistically effects a much smaller proportion of the player base, and mostly only veterans, not the new faces to the server, and certainly not the majority. Most people (including myself, prior to the hysteria surrounding its removal) were unaware there were vendors selling it at low prices in obscure locations for anything but Remove Disease. The locations where they are currently, and the reasons they are allegedly being used, do not seem like issues that apply to the broad majority of low-level PCs, and they probably shouldn't be used to encourage invisibility ninjalooting, either. Fighters, Barbarians, and other classes in that vein aren't really supposed to be ninjalooters regardless.

This issue becomes exasperated because Fighters are now better off going 20 Fighter and pure, instead of the classic 5 Rogue 15 Fighter mashup, and Barbarians are better going pure now as well, which means two classes that traditionally mixed and matched skills (including UMD) are faced with the dilemma of getting their full class benefits and feats at late level, or being able to utilize their rogue/etc levels for revenue where other classes can. You have to pick your poison, I feel.

Bouquet of Lotuses

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2021, 02:48:33 PM »
Can you not call the response "hysteria"? That's extremely disrespectful.

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2021, 02:53:46 PM »
Can you not call the response "hysteria"? That's extremely disrespectful.

I don't think it is disrespectful for me to hold the opinion that the impact of removing Edelweiss is a bit of an exaggeration, nor that it is among a group of people. It wasn't intended to come across as disrespectful or pointed, so if you took that away from the usage, I apologize; But c'est la vie.

My point still stands, either way.

Bouquet of Lotuses

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2021, 02:56:40 PM »
I am aware what hysteria means, but thank you.

I'll let my part in the debate die there, though others are welcome to chime in if they want to.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2021, 06:14:45 PM »
Back on topic folks, cordially, in the respect of all, or this thread will get closed faster than a cat lapping chain lightnings.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.