You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Suggestion: Nerf/Buff Dloo Bellegarde Mine  (Read 721 times)

slash

• Dark Lord
Suggestion: Nerf/Buff Dloo Bellegarde Mine
« on: July 30, 2021, 01:39:41 PM »
The title says it all. The Bellegarde Mines in Dementlieu are effectively a pointless fixture. The materials within the mine are too low level to justify the high difficulty mobs inside of it. If the mobs are so strong because Dementlieu is supposed to be a higher CR domain, then it would stand to reason that the materials should be better anyway. Conversely, if the materials are lower level for the sake of accessibility, then the mobs should be nerfed to fit the reward. As it is now the design comes across as pretty confused, and the cave is almost entirely ignored, to the point that it's only function in game centers around the fact that it is never visited.
"My soul is overflowing with obeisant reverence, and Your Most Illustrious Excellency of benignity, to you I most humbly bow." -Francesco Ferdinando Alfieri.

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
  • "Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
Re: Suggestion: Nerf/Buff Dloo Bellegarde Mine
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 02:44:38 PM »
+1, give us iron for god's sake if you're going to make us endure Phantasmal Killer spam from 30 different NPCs that are fishing for 1's. The worst part is, Death Ward doesn't even stop Phantasmal Killer. So there's no way to become immune to rolling a 1. I won't even take my level 20 Bard into there without someone around in the event I do.

ASymphony

• Professional Shitposter
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2021, 02:48:05 PM »
Never been down there so I can't really comment on difficulty or reward of the place, but just to point out: There is no auto-failure on 1 on potm and phantasmal killer can be stopped with any form of mind immunity.

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2021, 02:49:34 PM »
Never been down there so I can't really comment on difficulty or reward of the place, but just to point out: There is no auto-failure on 1 on potm and phantasmal killer can be stopped with any form of mind immunity.

Clarity will not work, Mindblank may. I'm not sure why. The dungeon is filled with a bunch of ghost mobs, and they all chain-cast Phantasmal Killer. Some people might be able to endure that without risk of failure, but it's excessive for a few seams of copper and tin to say the very least. You can get those freely in Barovia in numerous locations.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2021, 03:36:24 PM »
If it was up to me I would have the mine give both silver and iron. Maybe even gold or platinum; The metals for the currency have to be mined from somewhere.

But yea, the metals should be of much higher quality then copper. Especially since dementlieu is meant to be a higher level area. Not to mention the spamy ghosts. 

Glass Cannon

• Dark Power
  • Friendly Merchant
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2021, 05:14:56 PM »
Adding iron to the Port mine would mean drawing high levels out of low level areas, too.
"Aristocrats and criminals have a lot in common. They’re both selfish, get bored easily, and have access to wads of cash they didn’t have to work honestly to get. The topper? Neither have any interest in bourgeois rules or morality."

Khornite

• Grognard
  • Undead Master
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2021, 06:11:17 PM »
Adding iron to the Port mine would mean drawing high levels out of low level areas, too.

Especially considering that the iron nodes in Hazlan aren't usually popular since you have to walk SO FAR BACK with the iron.
"No, you." -Captain America

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2021, 06:24:09 PM »
+1, give us iron for god's sake if you're going to make us endure Phantasmal Killer spam from 30 different NPCs that are fishing for 1's. The worst part is, Death Ward doesn't even stop Phantasmal Killer. So there's no way to become immune to rolling a 1. I won't even take my level 20 Bard into there without someone around in the event I do.

Rolling a 1 is not an automatic failure. Clarity or any other immunity to mind-affecting spells works, as does immunity to fear (and Remove Fear gives a +4 vs. Phantasmal Killer).

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2021, 09:37:21 PM »
I'll add some iron; the cave was added mostly to add ore to Dementlieu.

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2021, 04:33:31 AM »

Rolling a 1 is not an automatic failure. Clarity or any other immunity to mind-affecting spells works, as does immunity to fear (and Remove Fear gives a +4 vs. Phantasmal Killer).

Can I just say that it I wasn't literally meaning fishing for ones here, but I was referring to being spammed for low rolls? This is basically the only map in the server where this happens, and it is partially why the location is never used.

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2021, 05:05:27 AM »
Can't read your mind. Just sharing some info.

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2021, 05:38:08 AM »
Yeah, I probably should've been more clear. My bad.