You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Legerdemains Makeup low caster level  (Read 595 times)

foxtale

• Society of the Erudite
  • Undead Slayer
Legerdemains Makeup low caster level
« on: July 19, 2021, 09:42:22 PM »
It casts Disguise Self at level 1.

Could it be raised to caster level 10 to be on par with the scrolls and the similar items that provide stealth buffs (Footpad's Mastic and Stalker's Unguent)?
Mareike - "The alternative is saving only myself. I will go to any length for this."
Enora - "The Weald belongs to they that can take it."
Felise - "!em ton era uoY"

Dardonas

Re: Legerdemains Makeup low caster level
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 10:01:05 PM »
It casts Disguise Self at level 1.

Could it be raised to caster level 10 to be on par with the scrolls and the similar items that provide stealth buffs (Footpad's Mastic and Stalker's Unguent)?

When I originally suggested the item it was supposed to be caster level 3-5.  It was lowered because for some reason the Disguise Self raised the cost up too much to be a common drop on the tables.

bestbardna

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2021, 07:33:57 PM »
Couldn't this be fixed by adding on the reduced value item property?

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2021, 07:41:41 PM »

We don't do that as that would just skew balance of items. Item value is based on the item's properties; that's how we balance them against each other objectively.

Dardonas

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2021, 07:54:53 PM »

We don't do that as that would just skew balance of items. Item value is based on the item's properties; that's how we balance them against each other objectively.

When I was making the item, the intent I had was to replicate something similar to the items that gives Camouflage and Light Step.  Both cast it at a higher level to make the items worthwhile and last for a significant amount of time to be considered as useful consumables.  The Light Step variant also is a higher level spell, level two innate, but a version is capable of being found quite readily.

Perhaps there is something skewing the value of the Disguise Self spell in some regard for the toolset?  I confess I don't know how the toolset determines value for custom content, so I'm just genuinely curious as to how it differentiates and is possible to create similar effects on some items but not others.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 07:58:27 PM by Dardonas »

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2021, 08:28:39 PM »
I looked into it and bumping it up won't affect the price much, so I'll raise it to the level 5 version, but won't be retroactive (and DM's won't switch them).