Author Topic: Gris-gris suggestion  (Read 660 times)

Ken14

• Undead Master
Gris-gris suggestion
« on: July 16, 2021, 07:51:49 PM »
Okay, so, playing a voodan, I -love- the gris-gris feature. It's pretty fun to play with. But I notice that more then often, people forget to use it, or do but the gris-gris's inert before they remember. And the constant trade window exchanging can get old fast....

So I would propose a small change to Gris-Gris (if possible that is) : That Gris-gris can applied by someone to another, regardless of the spell.

For example, that I can apply a Divine Favor Gris-gris to Jean-Michel the Rogue myself, for example, instead of having to hand them over to him. I'd still have to make a gris-gris, of course!

InMyDarkestHours

• The Underworld
  • Undead Master
  • I reveal my heart, to this beauty dressed in dark
Re: Gris-gris suggestion
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2021, 08:20:29 PM »
I can attest to forgetting both times I was handed one. Leaving it to the Voodan might be better.

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2021, 02:45:32 AM »
The targeting of the spells is locked to the .2da, so it opens a can of worms on being able to apply any buff to anyone.

From what I've seen on another server, if the .2da isnt changed then even a self cast only spell being put onto a potion and then applied to another person still ended up with the potion being applied to themselves instead.

Even if there was some way to change it without breaking general spell targeting for everyone, gris gris that are self only are meant to be used by the person given the gris gris and use up their action economy for that round.

It's not worth breaking stuff. It's an idea but from what I've seen tinkering with toolset & .2das and the results on another server, self cast only locked spells just aren't going to work with consumables / gris gris or even potions like that.

Derek Jeter

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2021, 03:10:23 AM »
I can attest to forgetting both times I was handed one. Leaving it to the Voodan might be better.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2021, 07:59:52 AM »
Yeah, zDark Shadowz pretty much explained why it would be difficult to make it work for anyone using the gris-gris. Though it would certainly be nice, we'll have to chalk this one under game engine limitations unfortunately.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

bloodless

• The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • ?
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2021, 11:33:19 AM »
They really should just last until the voodan's next rest. The current window of usability is quite restrictive.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2021, 11:43:09 AM »
They really should just last until the voodan's next rest. The current window of usability is quite restrictive.

That’d be too prone to exploit due to engine limitations.

Ken14

• Undead Master
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2021, 02:14:52 PM »
Not entirely sure what the duration for Gris-Gris actually is, right now.

Is it an Hour + 1 turn/character level? That sounds like a decent enough duration.

Fungal Artillery

• Undead Master
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2021, 08:10:59 PM »
The topic of Gris-Gris duration has previously been discussed here.
https://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=56275.msg671807#new

I still stand by the idea that Bestow Gris-Gris should be activateable until the voodan rests. There shouldn't be any way that could be exploited for power beyond one resting cycle. And meanwhile the playing experience would be better, for the voodan and their allies.
"A man in a robe, claiming communion with the divine? Madness." - Narrator, Darkest Dungeon

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
  • "Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2021, 08:35:52 PM »
Why not just extend it to 1 Hour + 1 Hour/level, and then for all Gris-gris to poof once you rest. That way you get the desired length, without the ability to exploit it by just never resting.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2021, 09:04:58 PM »
It can easily be exploited as I mentioned and there’s no way around that. What you wish for and what is possible are two different things. I already even explained the reason.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 09:06:44 PM by EO »