Author Topic: Increasing Crafting XP Gained  (Read 2620 times)

Rynskald

• New to the Mists
  • *Lurking sounds.*
Re: Increasing Crafting XP Gained
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2021, 05:23:26 PM »
I would like the practice toggle from LOTRO added. Basically, you are in practice mode, the item is destroyed to dissect it after creation to learn a little more. That is more reasonable than a soft cap

LOVE this idea. All those copper daggers wouldn't feel like such a waste going into the trash can. Even if it's 1 exp!

Wilkins1952

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Lord
  • For good to win evil must do nothing
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2021, 01:58:12 AM »
I have been thinking about this a little more and might have a better solution. Crafting quests. If possible have quests that say once per X time on player the crafting merchant will ask for X of an item and then give xyz Crafting xp as well as some gold reward. The reward being somewhere in the range of say 5k and perhaps 500xp this also gives crafters a passive income as well and can make crafting feel a little rewarding. It would speed up grinding the levels a bit so some balance might be in order regarding how often you can take the quest but it should mean that to get say 1k xp with the quests might take 4 weeks you would only spend an hour or two actually crafting over those four weeks.
"Its like watching people walk up to the line for "Be excellent to each other" and seeing how far they can spit across it." -GMNO

~FiRe~KiNg~

• New to the Mists
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2021, 04:27:50 PM »
Here's an example; right now let's say producing an iron full plate gives 1XP, without a cap. You need 100 to get 100XP. Now let's say we add a cap of 100XP a day, but producing such armor gives 10XP; you only need to craft 10 to get the same result. You don't need to hoard as many materials as you do now, and it still takes a long time to level up but with less grinding. You can still make armors for others, after all, crafting is also a source of income. It's much like dungeons; you can dungeon on blind drive to get loot; you're not wasting your time doing so, though it's less rewarding.

I've seen this proposed XP cap called a soft cap and a hard cap. I just want to clarify what the potential intention is. With this example above, once the 100XP cap was hit, would creating iron full plate go back to awarding 1XP, or would it then be 0XP?

I only have experience with herbalism, but RP wise this is how it typically goes: I forage for herbs, and when my bags are full or it gets dark I head to a herbalism hut and attempt to brew potions. If the intent is to award bonus XP to a soft cap then go back to awarding normal XP that is great in my books. IC my char would not stop brewing when this soft cap was reached. He would continue to brew until he is finished.

If the intent is a hard cap, that would muddy things up somewhat. It's true that the item produced from crafting would still be the reward, but IC or RP wise why wouldn't my character still learn and gain XP from crafting after hitting this cap?

I was getting confused reading people's reactions to this proposed change. I think the idea of a daily soft cap could be neat, like a "Fresh Mind" buff to crafting XP, but then still allowing regular crafting XP after the cap is reached.

If people wish to drive for this cap each day and then stop crafting, I suppose that is up to them. I am not certain how that makes sense RP wise, but perhaps there is a way to make it work. For people that come from MMOs there is definitely some bad habits that we all learned. I sometimes have to remind myself that this isn't a race, but a journey.
Active character: Vine Arna

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2021, 08:27:04 PM »
I imagine it will be hard to pass judgement until some hard numbers are presented as a proposal.