Author Topic: Warmage: Suggesting 2 more spells for their spell-list  (Read 610 times)

tylernwn

• Dark Lord
Warmage: Suggesting 2 more spells for their spell-list
« on: July 13, 2021, 02:47:10 PM »
I don't want to open the floodgates where everyone suggests all their dream spells. I would just like to make a suggestion for some small adjustments to the Warmage spell list that I think would greatly enhance the class. These are not spells that the class has in pen and paper, so whether they should be added or not is up for debate.

Circle and spell:
4th:
- Sound Lance (Evocation)
- Thalassemia (Necromancy)

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
Re: Warmage: Suggesting 2 more spells for their spell-list
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2021, 03:58:46 PM »
If Warmage is given additional spells, it would be based on their Advanced Learning feat (which cannot be implemented here), and so would be restricted to wizard Evocation spells, and likely at the cost of a few of their current bonus feats. Still would probably be worth it if the spells were good enough, like Radiant Assault.

Vissy

• Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2021, 04:38:06 PM »
Advanced Learning would be nice to implement into their spell list in the form of more evocation spells. Bigby's spells have been suggested before, and other possibilities would be Radiant Assault, Lucent Lance, and Detonate (which I am actually not sure why it is not a Warmage spell; seems to fit just about perfectly).
Active Character: Heir Andarateia, Lia Lanthaloran
Other Character(s): Gilraine Alean'ani
Shelved Character(s): Vinyafael Yavanna, Callistrae Dawnshadow, Vika van Voytz
Closured Character(s): Rakel Leviken, Celeste Seifert

Dardonas

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2021, 05:32:09 PM »
If Warmage is given additional spells, it would be based on their Advanced Learning feat (which cannot be implemented here), and so would be restricted to wizard Evocation spells, and likely at the cost of a few of their current bonus feats. Still would probably be worth it if the spells were good enough, like Radiant Assault.

I think Warmages should have some spells picked for them in place of the bonus feats.  I think they are incredibly too lax with feats, being able to take many GSFs as well as saving throw feats and everything else they could possibly need.  Though this is focused on Warmage, Beguiler has the same issue.

Advanced Learning:
At 3rd, 6th, 11th, and 16th level, a warmage can add a new spell to his list, representing the result of personal study and experimentation. The spell must be a wizard spell of the evocation school, and of a level no higher than that of the highest-level spell the warmage already knows. Once a new spell is selected, it is forever added to that warmage's spell list and can be cast just like any other spell on the warmage's list.

My four suggested Wizard Spells:
1st level (from adv. learning level 3):

- Shelgarn's Persistent Blade

2nd/3rd level (from adv. learning level 6):

- Frost Breath or Sound Lance

5th level (from adv. learning level 11):

- Cone of Cold

8th level (from adv. learning level 16):

- Bigby's Clenched Fist or Radiant Assault

However, I'll still shill for the fact that Black Blade seems like a cool ability to give Warmages, though by the constraints of Advanced Learning, it wouldn't be able to be implemented this way.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 05:39:05 PM by Dardonas »

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2021, 07:33:41 PM »
I agree it seems a bit too many feats

I suppose it would be too much effort for warmages to have a subpool to deduct from of their spells.

* X amount of evocation spells extra a day in a counted pool like turn undead charges.
* The bonus feats are only spell choices that unlock a spell to be used out of this pool similar to hallowed witch spell ability selections.
* Higher level spells would use up more points.

Probably too much effort and not in line with dev design though.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 07:38:04 PM by zDark Shadowz »

tylernwn

• Dark Lord
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2021, 09:59:17 PM »

This suggestion is to add these spells to the spell list, but not as part of the advanced learning feature. However yes, I agree that Advanced learning/Eclectic Learning would be the best overall solution regarding spell list flexibility.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 11:37:19 PM by tylernwn »

tylernwn

• Dark Lord
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2021, 10:40:25 PM »

1st level (from adv. learning level 3):

- Shelgarn's Persistent Blade

2nd/3rd level (from adv. learning level 6):

- Frost Breath or Sound Lance

5th level (from adv. learning level 11):

- Cone of Cold

8th level (from adv. learning level 16):

- Bigby's Clenched Fist or Radiant Assault

I think Sonic Lance and Radiant Assault are some choices we can all probably agree with. If Advanced Learning spells end up being pre-selected for the class.

However if Advanced Learning is implemented in any shape or form, I am sure that it won’t be long before someone says that they would have preferred Eclectic Learning.

Spoiler: show

For example; Shelgarn’s (1), Invisibility (2->3), Shadow Conjuration (4->5), Shadow Shield (7->8 ), or some other combination that is beyond what can be reasonably coded for the class on level up.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 11:39:58 PM by tylernwn »

Vissy

• Dark Lord
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2021, 04:52:37 AM »
Eclectic Learning would, obviously, be the dream of every Warmage, and I would love that.

For the Advanced Learning spell suggestions, I'd probably turn Shelgarn Persistent Blade into Horizikaul's Boom instead.

Cone of Cold is also already be a Warmage spell, and the other closest offensive spell I can think of on the 5th circle would be either Mind Fog or Thalassemia, the latter of which would be useless for Dementlieuse warmages.

I'm not sure just these spells detailed would be worth the bonus feats - it would essentially mean a nerf to Warmage, when I'm not sure that is necessary. But the implementation of Advanced and / or Eclectic Learning could be another possible way of navigating the many extra bonus feats, while not nerfing the class?
Active Character: Heir Andarateia, Lia Lanthaloran
Other Character(s): Gilraine Alean'ani
Shelved Character(s): Vinyafael Yavanna, Callistrae Dawnshadow, Vika van Voytz
Closured Character(s): Rakel Leviken, Celeste Seifert