You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: mundane healing suggestions  (Read 675 times)

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
mundane healing suggestions
« on: July 05, 2021, 08:26:50 PM »
Hello,

So I am playing a healer, who does mundane healing and it got me thinking of some things I noticed that could improve here.

there are a few medical items that don't do anything such as bandages. Bandages could for example stop wounding/bloodletting or allow someone to be stabilized. Could make wounding a more dangerous thing to maybe require this or just be used more often?

I recall reading about a feat in one of the books that there was a feat that if you passed the check, then you could heal 1d4 damage with a healing kit. I will try to find the book for that feat. Other feats to use the heal skill would be cool. Alternatively perhaps the Healing touch of the Learned Physician could be a general feat.

Healing Touch
Spoiler: show

Healing Touch (Su): At 5th level, a learned physician can heal wounds (his own or those of others) by touch. Each day, he can heal a total number of hit points of damage equal to his learned physician level x his Charisma modifier (minimum 1). The learned physician may choose to divide his healing among multiple recipients, and he doesn’t have to use it all at once. Using healing touch is a standard action. Starting at 9th level, the learned physician’s healing touch can cure a number of points of damage per day equal to his learned physician level x his Charisma modifier (minimum 1) x his Wisdom modifier (minimum 1). In addition, the learned physician can now use remove blindness/deafness or remove disease a number of times per day equal to his Charisma modifier (minimum once per day). The use of either effect counts as one daily use of this ability.

related to this you can buy a number of herbs in some of the herbalist shops that have effects. such as removing diseases or curing light wounds or sleep. But you can't find them growing IG, at least I haven't. Being able to find them in the wild would be great. So far I only have seen belladonna. Being able to have more uses for herbs then just potion making would be neat.

related to that there are some items in shops like extract of foxglove, oil of clove and so on that indicate they are made from using herbs into something stronger but not sure if you can make them. It would be cool if herbalism could do that. Maybe tailoring could make cloths, ether rags, and Suturing Needle and thread(does cure minor wounds).

So I am curious what others think of these suggestions? Does anyone have any other ideas for more

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
Re: mundane healing suggestions
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2021, 10:16:15 PM »
I think it would be nice to see more in-depth mundane healing. I usually see people rest without eating, using any healing kits or even a bedroll. Most people rely on the cleric/druid to heal the remaining wounds after the resting period has finished.

bloodless

• Dark Power
  • ?
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2021, 02:35:08 AM »
I think it would be nice to see more in-depth mundane healing. I usually see people rest without eating, using any healing kits or even a bedroll. Most people rely on the cleric/druid to heal the remaining wounds after the resting period has finished.
+1

HM01

• Undead Master
  • The Department of Gnomeland Security
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2021, 02:58:40 AM »

Are you a developer?

Onkel Bob

• Developers
  • Undead Master
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2021, 07:26:14 AM »
I very much want to see mundane healing expanded too. Healing magic being as powerful and avaliable as it is, I'd like to add to the suggestion that the existing healing herbs (Wintergreen, Mistletoe, Ginseg etc. and hopefully more new ones) would be a lot cheaper than they are now but are only effective if the character who uses them succeeds at a heal check.

Alternatively the heal skill could be applied to using herb consumables to grant people bonuses to for example saving throws or skills when they rest. Maybe it could only work in safe areas, but last 24 IG hours.

Craftable healing kits would offer a world of possibilities, also.

My general line of thinking here is that the heal skill should be tied into it somehow to make it a more valuable and desireable skill. I'd love to hear what ideas and opinions others have of this.
Portraits (updated 14/04/2024)

Wilkins1952

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Lord
  • For good to win evil must do nothing
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2021, 07:29:56 AM »
More support for mundane healing would be great as it is now potions and cleric spells are cheap and easy to use so they always seem to win out yet if Heal had more functionality and usability I could see it being a desirable skill once more..
"Its like watching people walk up to the line for "Be excellent to each other" and seeing how far they can spit across it." -GMNO

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2021, 09:32:07 PM »
There is this feat already which allows you to stabilize.

https://nwnravenloft.fandom.com/wiki/Healing_Hands

A once per rest only heal check that would heal a portion of the total hitpoints immediately that the bandages would otherwise contribute before the next rest might be nice though, requiring this feat as a prerequisite.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2021, 01:28:42 PM »

agreed. I would love to see more stuff here. :)

I very much want to see mundane healing expanded too. Healing magic being as powerful and avaliable as it is, I'd like to add to the suggestion that the existing healing herbs (Wintergreen, Mistletoe, Ginseg etc. and hopefully more new ones) would be a lot cheaper than they are now but are only effective if the character who uses them succeeds at a heal check.

Alternatively the heal skill could be applied to using herb consumables to grant people bonuses to for example saving throws or skills when they rest. Maybe it could only work in safe areas, but last 24 IG hours.

Craftable healing kits would offer a world of possibilities, also.

My general line of thinking here is that the heal skill should be tied into it somehow to make it a more valuable and desireable skill. I'd love to hear what ideas and opinions others have of this.

Using the herbal items would be nice if they were cheaper. There are also several healing items mentioned in van richten's arsenal that would be neat. Leeches, Restraint Board, Sanguine Pump, straitjacket, and syringe

There is this feat already which allows you to stabilize.

https://nwnravenloft.fandom.com/wiki/Healing_Hands

A once per rest only heal check that would heal a portion of the total hitpoints immediately that the bandages would otherwise contribute before the next rest might be nice though, requiring this feat as a prerequisite.

not quite the feat I was thinking of. I was thinking of something that worked like a healing kit + potion of cure minor wounds.

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2021, 03:10:42 PM »
Loving the idea. Mundane healing has kind of vanished from the server and in ravenloft it can be a huge source of spookiness and story. There are some options like chamomile, foxglove extract, and other things you can buy to do it, but not enough to really foster any real rp. I'd love to see the bandages work to do something. Even if it was like the sutures that just heal like 1 point or something. Instead they are just a useless item.

Erzsebet has a mind set of anything magic can do (healing wise) can be done with herbs. Could it maybe be possible to make a difference in the description of crafted potions to express they are made from herbs? It could generate some more rp around "mundane" healing. Or perhaps a guide of what magical healing can and can not do here?
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan