You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Random Danger  (Read 588 times)

Ken14

• Undead Master
Random Danger
« on: July 05, 2021, 12:04:11 AM »
So, with the recent discussion about the outskirts popping up, here's a possibly interesting suggestion:

The roaming mobs at night, like the werewolves in Barovia. What if there was a random chance that one or two of the group was a variant ( that has the same name, mind) that was extremely strong? As in 'Could give a pit fiend a run for it's money' kinda strong?

Even the higher levels would/should be wary, because you never know if the spawn has a werewolf in there that could eat you alive

To the lower levels, it wouldn't matter as much, because most werewolves already kill them in a few hits -anyway-.

Anyway, just an errant suggestion. Thoughts?

distilled1

• New to the Mists
Re: Random Danger
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2021, 01:39:24 PM »
I too support the implementation of more random danger, and I like this idea of having potentially stronger creatures coming at random during the night.

I think another great idea, which came from Mailbox 2100 in that thread, is to generally randomize all enemy encounters all over the PotM world.
Here's what Mailbox suggested:
What I'd pay a subscription fee for: is just completely variable spawns on PotM. I hate knowing precisely how to handle every area and dungeon. The mystique is gone, and most things are all but an exact science. I think adding randomness to night spawns in particular is a GREAT start. Make it so that there's a chance nothing can happen, or rarer chances of terrible things spawning.

Though Mailbox was largely referring to the night spawns, I think this idea would benefit the atmosphere of fear if done all over the PotM world, regardless of day or night.

I'm not that experienced in the world yet, but even I already know a guaranteed safe path to Krofburg from Vallaki, during the day, because the dangerous enemies that are supposed to occupy that path and make solo travel dangerous can be completely avoided 100% of the time if taking a certain path.
As Mailbox said. The mystique is lost when avoiding danger is easily done down to a science.

Hathor

• Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2021, 01:42:08 PM »
I too support the implementation of more random danger, and I like this idea of having potentially stronger creatures coming at random during the night.

I think another great idea, which came from Mailbox 2100 in that thread, is to generally randomize all enemy encounters all over the PotM world.
What I'd pay a subscription fee for: is just completely variable spawns on PotM. I hate knowing precisely how to handle every area and dungeon. The mystique is gone, and most things are all but an exact science. I think adding randomness to night spawns in particular is a GREAT start. Make it so that there's a chance nothing can happen, or rarer chances of terrible things spawning.

Though Mailbox was largely referring to the night spawns, I think this idea would benefit the atmosphere of fear if done all over the PotM world, regardless of day or night.

I'm not that experienced in the world yet, but even I already know a guaranteed safe path to Krofburg from Vallaki, during the day, because the dangerous enemies that are supposed to occupy that path and make solo travel dangerous can be completely avoided 100% of the time if taking a certain path.
As Mailbox said. The mystique is lost when avoiding danger is easily done down to a science.

+1

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
  • "Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2021, 03:07:20 PM »

+1

+1

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2021, 03:43:36 PM »
Sure, if a developer eventually wants to tackle it but it’s rather time consuming to randomize all spawns.

Ratbag

• New to the Mists
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2021, 03:48:03 PM »

+1

+1
+1

I haven't played here long and still learning everything but some of the best times I've experienced was when I had no idea what I was walking into.

I remember when I first started playing roughly a year ago there were occasionally random ghoul spawn or a slime spawn at night. Since returning about 2 months ago I haven't really seen any of these random night spawns that I remember.

tylernwn

• Dark Lord
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2021, 05:40:04 PM »
I definitely think that some spawn points should be completely random, and be independent from the general spawn level of the region. If only to mix things up a bit. I am not sure about pit fiend strong, but yeah the general idea sounds good.
+1

Duayne

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2021, 05:41:41 PM »
I support allowing Malthor a day trip to the outskirts. Even fiends deserve some Barovian rain from time to time.