You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: High OCR and jobs  (Read 664 times)

ObsidianOrb

High OCR and jobs
« on: July 02, 2021, 06:06:06 AM »
Wu Tang Dan had some trouble with getting a job from the warehouse district in Vallaki. It was suggested that his OCR is too high. If a high OCR prevents you from getting a job from an NPC, it would be great if a conversation line pens up- that explains that because of your bad reputation, they won't offer you work. So people aren't totally surprised and think its a bug.

See here:

https://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?action=post;topic=59403.0;last_msg=698021

Wilkins1952

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Lord
  • For good to win evil must do nothing
Re: High OCR and jobs
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2021, 06:32:32 AM »
+1 on this would be a good way to let people know it is not a bug.
"Its like watching people walk up to the line for "Be excellent to each other" and seeing how far they can spit across it." -GMNO

Dardonas

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2021, 06:37:25 AM »
Wu Tang Dan had some trouble with getting a job from the warehouse district in Vallaki. It was suggested that his OCR is too high. If a high OCR prevents you from getting a job from an NPC, it would be great if a conversation line pens up- that explains that because of your bad reputation, they won't offer you work. So people aren't totally surprised and think its a bug.

See here:

https://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?action=post;topic=59403.0;last_msg=698021

The warehouse worker in Vallaki has a greeting that suggests he doesn't want to work with you if your OCR is too high.

DaloLorn

• Undead Master
  • Incorrigible Altoholic
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2021, 06:48:12 AM »

See here:

The warehouse worker in Vallaki has a greeting that suggests he doesn't want to work with you if your OCR is too high.

Sounds like it's not suggestive enough.
European RPer, never available past 22:00 CET. Available on Discord, as Dalo Lorn#0171. Has too many characters to list.

Cast of Characters

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
  • "Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2021, 07:18:58 AM »
I can get behind this.

mooner

• Gendarmerie
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2021, 08:02:29 AM »
his dialogue and attitude definitely changes for ocr 12+ characters, but it is a bit subtle. saying that, most of the outcast features are the same.

perhaps an additional screen upon asking for work where he initially refuses you, but then offers the item supply work if you're really desperate?

ObsidianOrb

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2021, 12:24:10 PM »
Well that's a new suggestion, to still offer you the work even with a high OCR. I'm happy with high OCR preventing you from getting work at certain locations, I just think that if your OCR is that high the NPC should say something like "No, I'm sorry I can't offer you work, it would be bad for my reputation to be associated with you. Come back to me when your reputation improves."

mooner

• Gendarmerie
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2021, 12:29:54 PM »
i wasn't advocating for npcs to still give work to high OCR characters, just to clarify. my only concern is that a response like that might feel a bit gamey, especially when it so overtly references the game mechanics

ObsidianOrb

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2021, 12:50:31 PM »
That's not what you suggested at all, lol. How is that sentence referring to a game mechanic, he's just saying that he thinks your reputation is too bad and he doesn't want to work with you because it will be bad for his own reputation, which is
i wasn't advocating for npcs to still give work to high OCR characters, just to clarify. my only concern is that a response like that might feel a bit gamey, especially when it so overtly references the game mechanics

I don't get it, how is that not an in character thing for an NPC to say?

Duayne

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2021, 12:59:50 PM »
You're unaware that the 12+ OCR or whatever the breakpoint only affects the delivery quests. Up to 15 he will still offer the crafted item turn-in work.

Mooner was simply suggesting that the dialogue might be better fitting if your PC pushes for work, so he then offers that.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 01:03:10 PM by Duayne »

mooner

• Gendarmerie
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2021, 01:02:22 PM »
it's certainly plausible, but probably not what you'd expect to hear from a barovian as an outsider PC - especially not one above 12 OCR. the current way the dialogue is set up & phrased is that entrusting you (a 'pitic', 'fey' or whatever else) with his valuable deliveries is completely out of the question. the same goes for offering you permanent employment.

it's a subjective argument, but i can't see him apologising or entertaining the future prospect of work besides the item supply stuff. it's also a bit misleading, considering how exceedingly rare it is for your OCR reputation to be changed. aside from buying influence gear, the only people lowering their OCR are going to be charisma based classes, which usually dont have problems with OCR to begin with.

You're unaware that the 12+ OCR or whatever the breakpoint is only affects the delivery quests. Up to 15 he will still offer the crafted item turn-in work.

Mooner was simply suggesting that the dialogue might be better fitting if your PC pushes for work, so he then offers that.

yes, pretty much. upon asking for work, he'll initially just outright refuse - and there'll be a dialogue option to plead or reaffirm that you really need work. in which case, he will begrudgingly offer to pay for the crafted items as usual. maybe this would make navigating through his dialogue a bit too lengthy though, especially if it has to be done each time

ObsidianOrb

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2021, 01:12:23 PM »
Wu Tang was only talking about the delivery quests though, Wu Tang thought that it was a bug because the NPC dialogue was too subtle, and I can see why he/she thought that.

If your reputation is bad enough for an NPC not to offer you work, then they would just say that, sorry but your reputation is too bad. A less formal way could be "get out of here you monster!" but that doesn't take into account you could have high OCR as a human who is a murderer, or a deviant. You can only script a stock response when it comes to dialogue because otherwise setting up the dialogue to take a lot of things into account gets messy mechanically, and in character. So a more general encompassing term is often the better way to go. However, I still don't see how that suggestion would be OOC or actually referring to a game mechanic in a obvious way.