Author Topic: Loa information  (Read 764 times)

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
Loa information
« on: July 01, 2021, 02:18:03 PM »
So something I noticed is that the information in the Loa thread, goes into some more detail about the Gothic Earth Loa over the Souragnian Loa. Information that I think would be good to include for roleplaying. Things like favorite sacrifices, behavior while riding/how they try to honor the loa, as well as just more info about them and their relationships; which would be good for roleplaying.

Is there any information like that in the books? if not could, how should we handle things? For example

Madris Orundi, the Dancer

Easily one of the most popular of loa, if not the most popular, the Dancer is the patron of artists and lovers. She is muse, inspiration and matchmaker. Her most frequent prayers come from young people requesting that she ensure that the object of their affections return those feelings, but she listens equally to old married couples and artists seeking a creative spark. She is portrayed as a woman in early middle-age, still possessed of the beauty of her younger years, but with the grace, poise and wisdom of one who has had some time to live in the world.

Alignment: Neutral good.
Schools: Divination, Enchantment, Illusion
Domains: Good, Luck, Protection

Erzulie, The Tragic Mistress, the Queen of Beauty, Lady of Luxury

Erzulie is the Loa of love and beauty, specifically perfect love and unattainable beauty. She is an innocent living in a perfect world that her servants create for her, but inevitably, she realizes that the perfection she seeks doesn't exist and bursts into tears. Erzulie is a representation of the unattainable. Knowing that they are unlikely to have wealth and luxury in life, her followers raise their dreams of something better to Erzulie as she dwells in guinea. Erzulie has been romantically associated with many of the Loa at one time or another. Her watery aspect, La Siréne, is married to Agwé, who dotes upon her.

Behavior while riding: Erzulie's followers always try to maintain a luxurious room, with attached bathroom, for her. She will immediately walk into her room, making herself over till she is satisfied, before she immerges. Erzulie seeks to be surrounded by mirrors and finery. She favors handsome men and skilled dancers. She cannot stand rudeness or impropriety, though her forward behavior towards her beloved followers, including stroking them suggestively and lavishing kisses upon them, can unsettle some. She loves desserts and sweet drinks, though she hates hard liquor and drunkenness. After she has enjoyed herself for a time, Erzulie will inevitably burst into tears, proclaiming that she isn't loved enough. No amount of protestations to the contrary will convince her otherwise. Eventually she will forgive, sigh, and depart.

Favored sacrifices: A rare and expensive perfume from across the sea, scattered about a site of great natural beauty. A mirror created by the petitioner, with a beautiful and unique shape.

Alignment: Neutral Evil.utral Evil.utral Good.
Schools: Enchantment, Illusion, Transmutation
Domains: Trickery, Good, Protection

As one sees, Erzulie mentions she has been romantically attached with other Loa, that her waterry aspect is married to Agwe. That she loves Luxury and likes to keep luxurious room, that her favorite sacrifice includes a beautiful mirror. where as for Madris Orundi none of that is mentioned. So I mostly am wondering about that sort of information.  :)

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
Re: Loa information
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2021, 03:19:20 PM »
well I remember from my research into souragne, I couldn't find much beyond the source stuff, I believe there is a book that is set in souragne (dance of the dead by christi gold) that may have more information in it. If you happen to find a copy of it, hook a gal up please. It's hard finding the ravenloft books. Since souragne is based off real life loa maybe try to find the ones they are meant to mirror and use that as an guide?
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2021, 06:52:14 PM »
well I remember from my research into souragne, I couldn't find much beyond the source stuff, I believe there is a book that is set in souragne (dance of the dead by christi gold) that may have more information in it. If you happen to find a copy of it, hook a gal up please. It's hard finding the ravenloft books. Since souragne is based off real life loa maybe try to find the ones they are meant to mirror and use that as an guide?

I don't have the novel. Still if there is no info, which I suspect there is. What should we do?

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2021, 08:12:43 AM »
Well I'd draw on examples from witch craft. Otherwise, I'd suggest to use things that relate to their descriptions. Like Madris Orundi is a dancer, who is a muse for artists, the creative types and lovers. She's a match maker... So maybe things like dancing shoes with red ribbon tied together, or a mirror, a flower that represents love (like a rose), the colour red (which represents love). If she's a match maker I'd suggest acting like a cheerful, happy middle aged woman who wants to help young lovers find their perfect match?

I could write up a list of magic things and sort of based on things like luck,love,protection, etc. Most things from stones to colours, flowers and items have magical meanings. Dark tales and disturbing legends, which is a source book for the voodan class may have some tidbits on ideas, and possible the gazetteer about sourange maybe as well. It's been a long time since I've read those ones
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan