Author Topic: The Crafting Wishlist: Backgrounds, Feats and Gear  (Read 758 times)

ChrisRanHimselfOver

• Undead Slayer
The Crafting Wishlist: Backgrounds, Feats and Gear
« on: June 28, 2021, 12:46:05 AM »
Lately I've had a few conversations regarding the crafting system we have presently that has made me realize that, while quite robust in its options, there are really few things in place that set characters that choose to focus on crafting apart from any other character. Additionally, there is no way to have a character come in with some rudimentary knowledge of a craft other than bonuses that come from stats. As such, I'd like to propose that we implement crafting related backgrounds and feats.

The backgrounds would likely be the easiest to implement as representative of an apprenticeship to a craft giving maybe a +2 bonus to the craft of choice with no other bonus or perhaps +1 divided among two . Enough to give an healthy boost to a craft that synergizes with a character or perhaps negate a malus for some crafts.

I'm sure some of the feats would also follow this line of numerical bonuses to crafts, though I would like to see more interesting options show up too. Perhaps a chance to recover materials from a failed roll, if this could require a certain level in the relevant craft as a prerequisite, it would likely be best. Alternatively, and only as a first level feat, a chance to gather more crafting materials. I would also make as many of these feats specific to a single craft or line of crafts to encourage players to specialize and help characters stand out more in whatever crafts they may pursue.

Finally, it would be nice to see crafting items that gave a bonus. Perhaps tools that dropped as loot that could give bonuses to crafting skill. Better quality smithing hammers, curing knives and the like.
Currently Playing: Coltan Viris
Shelved: Tristan Hawkins, Robin Moreau

Hathor

• Dark Lord
Re: The Crafting Wishlist: Backgrounds, Feats and Gear
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2021, 02:49:55 AM »
+1

Kinga

• 🎀𝐸𝓁𝒹𝓇𝒾𝓉𝒸𝒽 𝒢𝑜𝒹𝒹𝑒𝓈𝓈🎀
  • Undead Master
  • 𝐵𝑒 𝒢𝒶𝓎 𝒟𝑜 𝒞𝓇𝒾𝓂𝑒𝓈
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2021, 03:26:02 AM »
Lately I've had a few conversations regarding the crafting system we have presently that has made me realize that, while quite robust in its options, there are really few things in place that set characters that choose to focus on crafting apart from any other character. Additionally, there is no way to have a character come in with some rudimentary knowledge of a craft other than bonuses that come from stats. As such, I'd like to propose that we implement crafting related backgrounds and feats.

The backgrounds would likely be the easiest to implement as representative of an apprenticeship to a craft giving maybe a +2 bonus to the craft of choice with no other bonus or perhaps +1 divided among two . Enough to give an healthy boost to a craft that synergizes with a character or perhaps negate a malus for some crafts.

I'm sure some of the feats would also follow this line of numerical bonuses to crafts, though I would like to see more interesting options show up too. Perhaps a chance to recover materials from a failed roll, if this could require a certain level in the relevant craft as a prerequisite, it would likely be best. Alternatively, and only as a first level feat, a chance to gather more crafting materials. I would also make as many of these feats specific to a single craft or line of crafts to encourage players to specialize and help characters stand out more in whatever crafts they may pursue.

Finally, it would be nice to see crafting items that gave a bonus. Perhaps tools that dropped as loot that could give bonuses to crafting skill. Better quality smithing hammers, curing knives and the like.

+1, we already have characters focused on crafting/multicraftng and adding feats/items/backgrounds would give server's economy a healthy boost.

Wargtimmen

• Undead Master
  • And silence that speaks so much louder than words.
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2021, 05:52:25 AM »
These all are really good options. Especially I loved having bonuses from background part. Though I'm not sure if it would be decent having from bonuses from some specific equipments.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2021, 11:06:18 AM »
I love this.

For feats would they be a general +1 to all crafting feats or something like says Arcane Artisan that would give a bonus to just enchanting.

ChrisRanHimselfOver

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2021, 12:25:50 AM »
Personally, I'd be wary of crafting feats that gave a bonus to all crafts, I'd favor feats that applied to a line of crafts like +2 to smelting, smithing and smelting or carpentry and woodworking. Just because this would be more likely to encourage craftsmen to specialize more than giving a bonus to all crafts.

If it were up to me, any feat that applies a bonus to all crafts would work like Muse, where the bonus applies to characters in the vicinity of the character that has the feat to prevent people getting a bonus to all their crafts without some sort of RP investment and like Muse, would probably be a first level feat. I have to admit, some more of those sorts of feats might be interesting. Perhaps if they focused more on the idea of a character being an instructor.
Currently Playing: Coltan Viris
Shelved: Tristan Hawkins, Robin Moreau

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2021, 08:22:10 PM »
While feats are not in the cards, the backgrounds certainly are something I've contemplated in the past. I'll revisit the idea after I'm done with tailoring
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

Revenant

• Noot Noot
  • Dark Lord
  • Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2021, 12:43:24 AM »
One solution that might be interesting is creating one or several skills (depending on how much nuance you want to it) that are always cross class, like Speak Language. The skill(s) would be added to the roll (of their relevant craft, if broken into multiples) in the same way Muse is. Ideally without being modified by attributes, but if not replacing the attribute in question in the calculation would achieve the same result. This allows a character to choose to make a non-trivial investment (skills being tight as-is) in crafting with a low cap (due to cross-class, 11 at 20 - significant, but not removing the need to engage with the craft) and allows you to easily make future tweaks to the system with things like gear or feats.
Vicerimus Mortem.

DaloLorn

• Undead Master
  • Incorrigible Altoholic
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2021, 03:36:59 AM »
One solution that might be interesting is creating one or several skills (depending on how much nuance you want to it) that are always cross class, like Speak Language. The skill(s) would be added to the roll (of their relevant craft, if broken into multiples) in the same way Muse is. Ideally without being modified by attributes, but if not replacing the attribute in question in the calculation would achieve the same result. This allows a character to choose to make a non-trivial investment (skills being tight as-is) in crafting with a low cap (due to cross-class, 11 at 20 - significant, but not removing the need to engage with the craft) and allows you to easily make future tweaks to the system with things like gear or feats.

Ohh, I like it!
European RPer, never available past 22:00 CET. Available on Discord, as Dalo Lorn#0171. Has too many characters to list.

Cast of Characters

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2021, 07:52:31 AM »
Using skill points for the crafts would require an extensive rewrite of the crafting system. Something that is A) beyond my modest skills, B) would be much too easy to exploit through relevels & C) simply unthinkable considering the size of the "Behemoth" (my name for said crafting script).

The backgrounds granting a +1 or +2 bonus to a given craft is a fine idea, more than that I will not consider it.

In a general manner, I still believe that the best solution to make crafting more enjoyable and alleviate the grind is to significantly raise the crafting XP bonus assorted with a soft crafting XP cap. Player's would pass less time crafting to reach the same results, which would be helpful to casual players, while still requiring to practice the craft on a regular basis over a long period of time before mastering one. The length of time is a sine qua non requirement, else too many people would master the crafts and that's not a desired result.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 07:54:11 AM by MAB77 »
Best Regards!
MAB

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2021, 08:38:49 AM »
Skills is a no go for the same reason non background feats are; you can relevel and get rid of them when you no longer need them.

Stormy

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2021, 10:48:54 AM »
I genuinely don't know what the crafting script looks like, but would it be possible to just make the backgrounds just give you a level in your craft? That way people without the backgrounds aren't at a strict disadvantage, and can get to the same point as the people with the background, just with a little bit more work.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2021, 12:00:42 PM »
I already mentioned I will revisit the idea once I'm done with tailoring. Though do not read this as a guarantee they will be added.
Best Regards!
MAB