Author Topic: A Cup of Gold - Nishan Tarset  (Read 527 times)

Kleomenes

• Dark Power
A Cup of Gold - Nishan Tarset
« on: June 26, 2021, 06:28:42 PM »

Nishan Tarset

Born: 1326 DR, Ithmong, Tethyr, Faerun.

Ethnicity: Tethyrian.

Profession: Squire of the Order of the Golden Cup upon entering the Demiplane of Dread.
Ex-Street Urchin.
Ex-Revolutionary Guerrilla.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 07:01:35 PM by Kleomenes »

Kleomenes

• Dark Power
A Thirsty Land
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2022, 10:50:22 PM »
Rain isn’t common in Tethyr. It is a fertile land, of course, but villages, towns, life was concentrated along the three great rivers, arteries of travel, of trade, of life. Further afield, the land was more arid, and could be harsher, crueller....Well, that distinction was rather meaningless these days. Since the Black Days, there was little but cruelty to be found between the people of Tethyr.

He rose to one knee, greave squelching in the mud as he forced himself up. The puddle was a dark red, lit by the fires of a dying village but of an altogether more arterial hue. The pulsing flow had been too much for him to stop, too much even for Tethyr’s thirsty soil. Her gore smeared his gloves, his jerkin, one cheek as she thrashed, croaking her last.

“She’s dead.” He said. “You killed her.”

Donnar shrugged, his blood-stained dagger still in hand. “What did you expect?”

“I said she wasn’t our enemy. I said to leave her be. Not...this.” His eyes were fixed on Donnar, and he barely noticed some of the others coming over to watch the quarrel.

“Yes, I remember.” quipped Donnar. “I disagreed.”

Something changed in him as he looked at Donnar. The doubt before he spoke was gone. The fear…was not important. Something burned hot. He stood. Donnar’s smile faded, face growing taut, eyes narrowing. “Come, Nishan. You’ve done worse. I’ve seen it. Do you think yourself better than me? This is just another bloody royalist.”

“We were fighting back. We had a cause. We were taking justice for those who can’t. ” He replied.

“I’m sure the Count’s daughter felt that way before we hanged her, aye.” Donnar’s eyes gleamed with a cold, triumphant light. “She wasn’t much younger than this one, was she?” He pointed with the bloody dagger to the fallen villager that lay between them. Although at this point there was far more between them than her.

At Donnar’s words, he broke eye contact, eyes stinging.

It came like a cleansing jet of saltwater, blasting away years of caked blood and hardened skin, yet stinging raw wounds he’d never known he bore. He looked at the downed woman he’d failed to save, lying dead in the village that had housed her friends, family, husband and child. This morning, at least. No longer.

Tears flowed freely down his cheeks. “I can’t do this anymore, Donnar.”

“What else do you think there is for you, Nishan? Going to start tilling the earth, is that what you think? Find yourself a little wife like this one was and raise bawling brats?” Donnar’s voice wavered, the sarcasm an unconvincing mask.

He turned, gaze locking on eyes so like his own, that had seen the same things since they were children. The same suffering, the same oppression, the same hunger and violence. And the same sins.

Until today.

They drew their swords in the same moment, followed after a few breaths by the gaggle of their watching comrades. Donnar held up his hand. “Stay out of it. Any man who touches him will answer to me.”

Neither were master swordsmen. They’d learned their craft in Ithmong’s back alleys, and when they’d exchanged shivs for swords, their opponents had - mostly - been people who couldn’t hope to defend themselves, whether due to skill or inferior numbers. Mostly, but not always. And in that time, Donnar had shown himself to have a talent uncommon.

They still fought like street rats, though, savagely and cruelly. And also swiftly. Donnar didn’t just fell his foe with the blade. A knee to the gut and a backhand opened the way to a savage cut to his opponent's waist. A gut wound, short of a disembowelment, but messy.

He thudded into the bloody ground. “Gonna take you a long time to die from that, Nishan.” Donnar said, standing over him. He scraped at the damp earth, gasping in agony. The gore-soaked mud was already drying. It turned out Tethyr’s thirsty soil could still drink more.

Now it was time for it to drink his own.

“Wonder how far you’ll crawl from this bitch.” mused Donnar. “Would be a shame to split you up.” He shifted a pace, and then swept his blade down once more, twice more, cutting hamstrings.

He yowled in fresh agony, sobbing as he writhed next to the innocent he’d failed to save. His vision was darkening.

“See lads, that’s what happens to weakness!” Donnar cried above him. “Mount up!”

The last words were from a great distance. Or perhaps whispered. “Never thought it would end like this, Nish.”

Then there was the jangle of spurred boots walking away, and he was left with the smell of burning wood, roasting flesh, and fresh blood.

In time he stopped struggling to live. His head slumped to the side, his blurring vision suddenly coming into focus. A cottage was collapsing into flames, it was the one Donnar had pulled the woman out of. The one where her family had ceased to exist.

To have seen such things, to have stood by and watched such crimes. Perhaps it was best to let the pain in his body consume him, for it would be nothing to what he would suffer if he now lived.

No. Endure.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 06:58:33 PM by Kleomenes »

Kleomenes

• Dark Power
Question and Answer
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2022, 06:58:03 PM »
“Tell me again about that feeling, Nishan.”  The Ilmatari’s grey robes were simple, and his kind eyes lay below a red skullcap. The bloody rack hanging around his neck was his only adornment.

“It’s just like I said before, Revered Father. Why do you want to hear it again?” Nishan’s brow bore deep grooves, lips pursed in displeasure.

“Humour me, Nishan. Trust me.” Father Azgardo’s face cracked into a smile, like a weathered prune with teeth.

He took a breath, and did as the Revered Father bid. “It was this feeling of everything being wrong. A pull, like, to do something. Not to sit by when I saw how wrong things were, but to do something. Like I had to make a stand.”

“Have you ever thought what it could have truly been?” asked the old man, holding Nishan with his tired gaze. “Do you still think that feeling is what drove you to do the things you now regret?”

“I don’t know. It must have. Mustn’t it?” Nishan was uncertain.

“I’ve prayed on you, Nishan. Something about your story, I was missing it, and I believe I now know what it is.” Father Azgardo’s voice was kind, but confident. “Because I think you finally heard it in the end.”

“Heard what?” Said Nishan. “How to throw my life away?”

“No, Nishan. The Call. Suffering’s been on your back since you were born, and it distorted the Call, drowned out its meaning. But you saw it in those moments before we found you, and you stood for the first time for Him.” A leathery hand reached to clasp Nishan’s shoulder.

“For who?” Nishan asked. Breathless for some reason. Dizzy. Warm.

“You know, Nishan. You’ve heard the Call. If you want to answer it, say the words. Say them with me.” The old man’s quite confidence was like a sledgehammer.

“I’ve done too much wrong…” His voice trembled as much as his shoulders.

“Child, today’s the first day of the rest of your life. You owe it to yourself, and to those you wronged, to live it well.” The hand on Nishan’s shoulder was warm.

The silence grew. The gulf that opened up before him was pure black, lit by the red of burning villages, of blood in the sand. Echoing with the screams of the dying. He teetered over the edge again. But now he could see, he could step back.

The silence was broken by a breath. “Persevere.”

“Persevere.” Father Azgardo repeated.

And then he heard it. “Persevere in the face of pain.”

His voice wavered at first. “Heal the sick, the wounded, and the diseased.”

But strength came as he carried on. “Comfort the dying, the grief-stricken, and the heartsick.”

Then conviction. “Take on the burdens and the pain of others.”

Then certainty. “Champion the causes of the oppressed and unjustly treated, and give shelter and kind counsel to the lonely, the lost, and the ruined.”

Then confidence. “Pursue the service of Ilmater, and he will provide—leave gross riches and the acquisition of all but medicines to others.”

Then, at last, zeal. “Take up the tasks no others dare.”

Kleomenes

• Dark Power
A Promise to Keep
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2022, 07:11:45 PM »
It was still dark, the sun not even a glimmer over the horizon yet, as Nishan dressed in a simple, grey robe. All his worldly possessions were packed and bound, ready to be collected at a moment’s notice. They were meagre; it had not been a heavy task. A knot of anxiety twisted in his gut. Even after all the preparation, all the practice, all the prayer, the dregs of doubt lingered. Even after a night of prayer.

Yet, he could hear it.

A knock at the door, and Father Azgardo entered. HIs voice soft, his eyes proud and sad at the same time.  “They are ready for you, Brother Nishan.”

Nishan shouldered his pack. The gloom lingered as they departed the cells of the initiates and crossed the silent cloister. Archways on either side watched him, their stygian shadows thick with accusation.

Endure, a penitent.

The courtyard had more activity. Two great stallions stood harnessed and ready. Old Desh, the stablehand, was harnessing a much smaller mare. Yet Nishan’s attention was pulled to the two knights stood by the horses, watching his approach. Father Azgardo lingered back. This was no longer his ken, and Nishan no longer his to judge. 

The left-hand knight stepped forward. His hair and beard were dark, and his face bore the scars of battle, but his smile was warm. Emblazoned upon his breastplate, behind his holy symbol, was a bleeding heart. “Brother Nishan Tarset, did you complete your vigil?“

“I did, Sir Venclas.”

“Do you hold true to your words of last night? Are you ready to shoulder your burden?” The knight’s gaze was keen, despite his smile.

“I am, Sir Venclas.” The past deserves no other answer.

Surprisingly, Sir Venclas’s gauntleted hand was light on Nishan’s shoulder, despite his bloody calling. He guided Nishan before the other knight, whose armour bore the sigl of a gleaming, golden cup.

“Dame Saredan, I present to you Brother Nishan Tarset. I, Sir Venclas Hallwood of the Companions of the Noble Heart, vouch for the applicant and his intent.”

“Kneel.” Said the woman, her voice hard as stone, as it had been last night. He knelt in the dust. “Look at me.” She commanded. And he did. Dame Saredan’s skin was a dark olive, and her brown hair streaked with grey. Her icy eyes had seen much. Few paladins lived this long.

Dame Saredan’s scrutiny lingered. He felt the weight of the silence. Finally, she broke it. “Speak then, your oath to Ilmater, before his knights. Speak what you will uphold.”

He could hear the Call in that moment. As if a hand was on his shoulder; as if a path was clear before him. And so he spoke, a steady flow of certain promise. So he answered the Call.

“I will carry Your Mercy in my heart.

I will share and show Your Mercy, with wisdom.

I will alleviate suffering, by deed as well as word.

I will stand for those who can’t stand for themselves.

I will do Your work, but be mindful of any harm I might cause.

I will remember there will always be pain and loss in the world, but I will never forget that my fight to protect people from it is not in vain.

I will let others see Your grace through me and my actions.

I will work with others to see good done.

I will remember laws are for the people.

I will remember laws protect the weak, and are fit so long as they enable the good of all.

I will remember laws are servants, not masters. I will  work to improve them in line with Your Mercy and these Oaths.

I will own no more than I need to see these duties done.”

The paladin’s gaze did not deviate, not once, until Nishan finished. Her voice, when it came, was solemn. “I, Dame Saredan of Saradush, witness your oaths to Ilmater.” she stated, before turning to her saddlebag and removing from it something wrapped in a clean, white cloth. Revealed, it was a goblet, plain and wooden, but similar in shape to the symbol she bore on her armour. Sir Venclas stepped forward to fill the simple cup from a flask. The water was clear and pure. Holy.

The Dame’s gauntleted hands held the vessel forth with reverence.

“I charge you to be brave and upright in the face of cruelty.

I charge you to heal as well as hack.

I charge you to safeguard the weak.

I charge you to keep fealty to your oaths and to our Lord on the Rack, Ilmater.”

She offered the cup to Nishan’s lips. “I offer you this cup so you may drink and shoulder your burden.”

He did. The water was cool and sweet.

Dame Saredan’s gauntleted hand crashed into Nishan’s cheek, knocking him sprawling into the dirt. “And let this blow help you remember it.”

His head swam, and yet he felt it. Felt Him.

Nishan looked up, lip split and bloody, towards the knight’s proffered hand. Only now did she let a smile creep into her voice, and almost to her lips. “Rise, Squire of the Golden Cup. We ride at dawn.”
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 07:14:47 PM by Kleomenes »