You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Wood You Marry Me?  (Read 558 times)

Lion El'Jonson

• Dark Lord
Wood You Marry Me?
« on: June 24, 2021, 10:02:39 PM »

“Manfried imagined the stars to be jewels shining in the depths of a long-sealed crypt and, drifting off, he
almost glimpsed himself prying open the lid of night and stuffing his pockets with the glittering gems.”

Jesse Bullington, The Sad Tale of the Brothers Grossbart

A Dense Black Journal
Filled with mundane nonsense.. or so it seems.

Fancied a cuppa today. About slipped on my arse fetching it, damn rain had my street slick.

They buried her with the necklace. The talk of the street: A real pearl.

Why should the nobles get to be buried with their riches while we STARVE? It's not fair. Gonna do something about it.

Hit the dirt with my shovel- the little bell started ringing. I froze for a bit.

I cut it off the rope and waited.

Got sixty shillings for the necklace. Got me three ladybirds for the night and another cuppa.

Feels good to be alive.

-C. Wood-

« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 11:35:43 PM by Dale »

Lion El'Jonson

• Dark Lord
Re: Wood You Marry Me?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2021, 01:14:03 PM »

New place to stay. Lots of chances for some profit. The Sanctuary of the Coming Dawn has a haunted crypt beneath it- full of cursed, walking dead. So many that it presents a problem with getting the goods.. going down there alone is a good way to get caught with my pants down. When I cracked open the lid of one of the stone coffins, one of the damned bodies got right out and grabbed at me. Some notes..

Sanctuary Crypt
The lower it goes, the more dangerous it is. The smaller sarcophagi don't seem to have much to them aside some trinkets- the big, ornate ones seem to carry the real treasures. But with the dangers involved, that means other people are needed, which means less of the spoils for me.

From what I can see, they buried their common dead pretty modestly. A handful of coins there, old spices or produce given as offerings, fancy clothes on occasion. The sarcophagi seem to be more varied.. magical trinkets, enchanted dusts and powders, old weapons..

I need to do more searching and see the deeper levels. I'll fill in more notes as relevant.. a modest amount of profit, perhaps, but nothing to write home about in this one..

Bit of an update- turns out this place goes deeper than expected. The walking dead are quickly replaced by skeletons, varying in how heavily armed they are.

The second floor seems to have been the site of some ritual- lots of runes and a big, magical light that if I had to reckon, is the leftover of an already performed casting. Can't really say for sure- not much of a mage.

-C. Wood-
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 03:10:59 AM by Dale »

Lion El'Jonson

• Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2021, 03:02:25 PM »
Well. I best be watching myself here. Looks like the Law around these parts is even harsher than back home. Woman 'assaulted' a guard and I guess tried to seduce one, too, sounds normal to me. Cast a little magic while she was at it. Back home I'd say she'd get some lashings and some time in jail, but these buggers burned her alive. I wonder if they took her coin?

Regardless, best be careful about here. If they punished her that hard, one can only wonder what they might to do me if I get caught with my hand in the wrong cookie jar.

-C. Wood-

Lion El'Jonson

• Dark Lord
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2021, 10:43:14 PM »
Nobles.. piss, bloody nobles.

I didn't care having to leave home. I didn't care that my 'friends' didn't want a tick to do with me anymore. I didn't care about the bounty.

I don't care about the cold. I don't care about the walking dead, or the fog, or the irritating guards.

If there was ONE thing I'd hoped would be different, was no more bloody nobles.

Guess what? The Morisways are here. THOSE Morisways. Nobles straight from Paridon.

Bloody hell.

-C. Wood-

Lion El'Jonson

• Dark Lord
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2021, 10:48:23 AM »
Tomb of Raduta

This bloody place doesn't mess around. Managed to organize a squad of Falkovnians who're here in Barovia to finally make a trip to this place.

I've been trying to organize an expedition into this damn crypt for a while- the pikers wanted all the gold and loot for themselves, but it didn't matter in the end. The dead in this place are a lot stronger then expected.

The Tomb is split between the walking, shambling undead and armed skeletons, the latter being the problem. Knightly skeletons, in armor with huge weapons jumped our expedition and cut through us like butter.

The kinds of treasures I can expect to find here in the future? No idea. I know there's something- gold, gems, artifacts- there MUST be something! I just need to try again. More soldiers, better soldiers, ones that can actually clear this place..

-C. Wood-