You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Random Mist Spawn Bug  (Read 2448 times)

Abear

• Dark Lord
  • You are not a human being.
Random Mist Spawn Bug
« on: June 20, 2021, 02:30:35 AM »
Name: Random Mist Spawns not Spawning

Where: Anywhere the random mist spawns used to happen.

When: Night time!

What: Nothing spawns at all of the spots in game that say something like 'The mists are thick tonight'.

Recreate: Exist anywhere in Barovia at night.

The Mist Spawns that made night so dynamically scary and interesting have gone completely. I've run around at night for weeks and weeks now and not encountered a single one, whereas I used to come across them three and four times a day. They were fun, scary and random. They made traveling at night genuinely risky and I wish they'd come back.
Current: Sásha Kostoviç
Occasionally: Blair Florescu

zDark Shadowz

Re: Random Mist Spawn Bug
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2021, 02:51:28 AM »
It could be that they are subject to the challenge rating of areas. Initially implemented and after updates its likely that their spawns are pretty flashy when their numbers have been put up to max. Last time I travelled I found two mist "spawns", one didn't appear to do anything beyond spawn in mist placeables, the other was a singular "Mistling" that came out.

I think there's a factor in play that's reducing the threat, and I think people prefer them when they are at their "maximum threat level" but conversely, there are threats in there that will just outright bully low levels (Greater Will-o-wisps?).

If there is a bug with what pops out along with placeables etc, then I hope that is fixed. If it's not a bug but a feature, then I would hope it's updated more to fit the level of the player who triggered or is closest to the event so it's always a heavy handed but polite warning that the Mists are not to be trifled with at night.

Kaospyri

• Outlander
  • Oui are Legion
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2021, 03:44:03 AM »
I haven't seen a single thing spawn from the random mist placements since the time we had the server diagnostics 1-2 months ago. Which is a particular shame because it actually made travelling at night somewhat unpredictable and therefor threatening for once.
Juno Ilmorres || Lupe Savau || Malcolm Valeis

Abear

• Dark Lord
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2021, 09:48:25 AM »
I think there's a factor in play that's reducing the threat, and I think people prefer them when they are at their "maximum threat level" but conversely, there are threats in there that will just outright bully low levels (Greater Will-o-wisps?)

I think you're misunderstanding. I run around Barovia at night rather frequently. I used to come across 4-5 mist spawns every day. Weak, medium, strong.

What I am saying currently is that I've not seen anything in weeks, and I miss them.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2021, 10:03:01 AM »
I haven't seen them in Dementlieu either.

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2021, 10:08:26 AM »
Only place I know that routinely spawns them now is the pass on the way to the village of barovia. Up by the cave of crag cats... Most other places are just mist. I really loved the random spawns that came it was awesome. I had originally thought perhaps I was arriving after someone else had cleared them, but perhaps that's not the case?
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2021, 10:22:36 AM »
They’re farmed out, like dungeons that are visited regularly. That’s why those more out of the way still spawn.

Abear

• Dark Lord
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2021, 10:50:29 AM »
There was monsters spawning that were genuinely a threat to my high level pure fighter. If you're suggesting that high levels are farming ectoplasm and no experience, I think that's pretty silly.

As I said, a month or so ago, I was running into them nightly and everyone was talking about them IC. The outskirts was full every night because roaming around at night was deadly.

Nobody cares anymore, and I've not come across anyone who's said they've seen any in weeks.

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2021, 10:52:54 AM »
They’re farmed out, like dungeons that are visited regularly. That’s why those more out of the way still spawn.

If that's the case, then shouldn't the one in the pass not respawn the next in game night? I've killed the creatures there and seen them spawn the next IG night again (as a different spawn but still spawning.)
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2021, 10:57:32 AM »
I haven't seen them spawn in Port-a-Lucine myself.

Wilkins1952

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Lord
  • For good to win evil must do nothing
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2021, 11:17:21 AM »
I have not seen them in port for a long time... which kinda sucks I think a lot has to do with the cell getting visited too often by players.. I think it would be nice to see a more consistant way of spawning them in high traffic areas.
"Its like watching people walk up to the line for "Be excellent to each other" and seeing how far they can spit across it." -GMNO

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2021, 12:13:20 PM »
That makes sense then.

People like the Mist spawns so much they keep killing them down to their lowest spawns (the triggers are still around along with sometimes weak spawns, messages and all.)

People ending them means we can't have nice things, like how semi-secretly dangerous Goblyns can get if left unchecked.

Oh well. NCE should give the opportunity for folk to see a few of the good ones.

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2021, 01:15:51 PM »
I haven't actually seen any monsters ever besides mistlings, I didn't know anything else even could spawn. Personally I'd much rather see their low spawn be a lot higher than all that.
Tobias Loarca | Braern Delsaryn | Anwar

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2021, 01:46:51 PM »
I haven't actually seen any monsters ever besides mistlings, I didn't know anything else even could spawn. Personally I'd much rather see their low spawn be a lot higher than all that.
In port I have seen mistlings, mist elementals, bandits, zombies, lamordians and flesh golems, ghouls and a few other monsters I think.

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2021, 02:04:29 PM »
In port I have seen mistlings, mist elementals, bandits, zombies, lamordians and flesh golems, ghouls and a few other monsters I think.

Sure, I mean I believe it. My point is just that mistlings seem a bit irrelevant yah know? That's assuming the point is to make nights more variant and have some added tension/fear to them. It's entirely possible I'm just missing the design philosophy behind it.
Tobias Loarca | Braern Delsaryn | Anwar

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2021, 02:16:18 PM »

Sure, I mean I believe it. My point is just that mistlings seem a bit irrelevant yah know? That's assuming the point is to make nights more variant and have some added tension/fear to them. It's entirely possible I'm just missing the design philosophy behind it.
Oh I agree. It was really cool when I came across the flesh golems and the mad scientists. Things like that really spice things up.

tylernwn

• Dark Lord
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2021, 04:17:49 PM »
I have only ever seen mistlings spawn from these. I was actually not even aware that there were stronger spawns, even after seeing them dozens of times. So yeah, they have definitely been over farmed to oblivion.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 05:07:38 PM by tylernwn »

Kaospyri

• Outlander
  • Oui are Legion
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2021, 01:38:56 PM »

Even after a reset they don't spawn anywhere in Barovia though. Not even mistlings or anything like apparently still appear in Dementlieu.
Juno Ilmorres || Lupe Savau || Malcolm Valeis

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2021, 02:14:54 PM »

Even after a reset they don't spawn anywhere in Barovia though. Not even mistlings or anything like apparently still appear in Dementlieu.

Resets don't reset the spawn level, contrary to popular belief.

Abear

• Dark Lord
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2021, 08:03:00 PM »
I still just hope you look further into this. They're obviously broken somewhere in implementation, or the spawn rate has been cranked way lower. I ran around to three Mist Spawn places that I know of in Barovia right as night fell and I found none. I used to find them on the way north every single IG night.

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2021, 08:39:26 PM »
Has there been any improvement since the latest update?

Abear

• Dark Lord
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2021, 12:24:57 PM »
I haven't come across any mist spawns yet. I've only talked to one other person and she also hasn't seen any on her routine trips to Raduta.

I have not had a weekend to spend a good amount of time stomping around Barovia at night yet, however.

Iolantir

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2021, 04:12:43 PM »
The only mist spawns I ever see working are in the Svalich Pass. Usually always some mistlings running around there.

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2021, 05:16:24 PM »
The only mist spawns I ever see working are in the Svalich Pass. Usually always some mistlings running around there.

If some work, it's most likely because others are farmed out. No matter what power level we put if people kill them all the time they'll never grow back. This isn't a bug though so going to shelve it.

Dardonas

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2021, 05:30:49 PM »
I'll add that when everything was MAX spawn early for the NCE, such as the aberrant werewolves on the road, I did not see any Mist spawns while patrolling through on my AMPC.