You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Updated Scrolls  (Read 436 times)

Novius

• New to the Mists
Updated Scrolls
« on: June 17, 2021, 06:08:11 PM »
When new spellcaster classes are introduced, the existing scrolls seem to be updated as well and include information like the spell level requirement for the new class.

For example, the scroll "Lesser Mind Blank" has recently been changed from:

Spell Level: Wizard / Sorcerer 5

to

Spell Level: Beguiler 5; Wizard / Sorcerer 5

However, at the special properties section, it still says:

Only useable by: Sorcerer
Only useable by: Wizard

The new scrolls that are spawned after the update however, contain the following instead:

Only useable by: Beguiler
Only useable by: Sorcerer
Only useable by: Wizard

As a result, these scrolls do not stack and the old ones are probably not useable by the new classes
I have also seen this happen to Voodan and Warmage spell scrolls.

Since the existing scrolls are updated with the introduction of new classes, I suspect this might be easy to fix by adding the new classes to the "Only useable by:" in the update function where they seem to have been ommitted opposite to the "creation" function for new scrolls.

Ithalan

• New to the Mists
  • Useful Posts: 0
Re: Updated Scrolls
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2021, 06:16:59 PM »
The item description updates retroactively because it is, I assume, just a string reference to data stored in the Haks, so it always pulls the current text from there when the item is examined. The class restrictions however are properties of the item instance itself, and don't change once that instance is created. Afaik PotM doesn't have any form of automated updating of items if the blueprints they are spawned from is changed.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
Re: Updated Scrolls
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2021, 06:18:22 PM »
The item description updates retroactively because it is, I assume, just a string reference to data stored in the Haks, so it always pulls the current text from there when the item is examined. The class restrictions however are properties of the item instance itself, and don't change once that instance is created. Afaik PotM doesn't have any form of automated updating of items if the blueprints they are spawned from is changed.

We actually do update items retroactively in-game when necessary; however it's not super straightforward to do it for scrolls since you need to compare the spell on the scroll with the requirements. Since scrolls are consumables the problem eventually solves itself on its own.