Author Topic: A Guide to the Placeable System (Updated!)  (Read 159 times)

bunnie

• Head Empty
  • Gendarmerie
  • Dark Power
  • what is him think
A Guide to the Placeable System (Updated!)
« on: April 21, 2024, 06:20:11 PM »

A Guide to The Placeable System
Updated as of April 21, 2024

Hello! We got new placeable commands, so I thought it apt to post a new and updated version of my prior google doc guide, which was an updated version of Cyberviking’s original tutorial to the placeable system! As usual, here is a link to an expansive list of every (current) placeable implemented straight from the 2da files, created and maintained by me.

For those new to the rental décor system, please keep in mind that your rental will have a cap of either 15/25/100 placeables depending on size. The most relevant rentals to the general player base - aka shops and warehouses - tend to be capped at 100 placeables. Notably all carpentry craftables, though spawned outside of the placeable system itself, will also count toward the rental’s cap.

List of Commands

@rental clear
- Removes all non-tileset placeables in the rental.
This includes any and all placeables that may have been placed by a previous owner. It is best to do this when a rental first falls into your hands, or when you’d like to begin again from scratch. Nonetheless, some placeables are built into the tileset such as crates in warehouses and shops. At times these tileset placeables are a bit buggy and are able to be deleted, but this will only last until the server resets anew, or crashes.

@rental save
- Saves and updates all placeables in the rental.
Rentals generally automatically save when one enters or leaves, but it never hurts to use this command once or twice whilst working with the system, in case of any random crashes.

@spawn placeable ID
- Spawns in a placeable, dictated by the placeable ID / number.
The numbers are easily found on the placeable spreadsheet linked in the blurb above, listed under ‘ID’.
An example would be @spawn placeable 1 - which is a bookshelf.

@spawn destroy
- Removes a selected placeable.
Can be very finicky with its choices of what to delete, and generally removes the closest placeable in its target area.

@spawn useable 0/1
- Causes a placeable to become targetable, and vice versa.
By default this will be set to 0, or unusable. Setting it to 1 will cause the placeable to become usable; highlightable, targetable, and selectable by the system.

A useable vs unusable placeable

@spawn x 0
- Moves a placeable around the x axis. The default set axis of one’s selection is x 0.
On the compass, this moves either West or East, depending on whether one’s numbers are in the positives or negatives. Moving the object in this way directs it from the point selected on the ground, or the selected object. As Cyberviking said, ‘Don't do any big numbers to start, it's a sure fire way to lose your placeable in a wall or in the sky or under the floor. Best to just raise and lower in increments of 0.1'. This is relevant for all axis commands.

@spawn y 0
- Moves a placeable around the y axis. The default set axis of one’s selection is y 0.
On the compass, this moves either North or South, depending on whether one’s numbers are in the positives or negatives.

@spawn z 0
- Moves a placeable around the z axis. The default set axis of one’s selection is z 0.
On the compass, this moves vertically Up or Down, depending on whether one’s numbers are in the positives or negatives. This command is what people use to place items on desks or tables, and paintings upon walls.

@spawn scale 1
- Scales the placeable, making it bigger or smaller.
Works as if a fraction. 2 is double the size, 0.5 is half, and so on. The default size is scale 1.

@spawn o 0
- Rotates the placeable.
The usual direction of a placeable is 0, or 360. Some placeables will lack the ability to be seen from certain angles, such as various wall objects, due to how their modelling functions. It is best to rotate placeables in angles of 45 or 90 degrees. Below is a unit circle labelled with the most common angles.

@spawn plot 0/1
- Causes the placeable to be 'set to plot', or unbreakable.
By default, this is set to 0. By setting it to 1, all objects placed afterward shall be unbreakable - immune to any harmful spells or attacks. Useful in fighting rings, as blood stains will save in rentals, but are able to be destroyed with a spell such as fireball. If you cannot break your placeables, but can 'break' the bloodstain, it makes an easy clean-up job!

@spawn name TITLE
- Gives the placeable a name when spawned and set to usable.
Much like using @write title on carpentry placeables.

@spawn description WORDS
- Gives the placeable a description when spawned and set to usable.
Unlike writable objects, linebreaks | do not work for this command. For anything with a long description, I would suggest using the @spawn set description command as described further in the guide.

@spawn reset
- Resets spawn variables to their defaults.

@spawn help
- Brings up the rental system's in game explanation.

And finally, the newer commands!

@spawn set useable
- Causes a placeable around a selection to become targetable, or 'useable'.

@spawn set unusable
- Causes a placeable to become no longer targetable, or 'unusable'.

@spawn set plot
- Sets a targeted placeable to 'plot'.

@spawn set name
- Opens the writing window, where you may set / change the name of a placeable.
A better alternative to @spawn name.

@spawn set desc
- Opens the writing window, where you may set / change the description of a placeable.
A better alternative to @spawn description.

Tips!

1. Macros
Custom command macros may be placed on the hotbar for quick and easy use. You simply have to navigate to the above command on the radial menu, write a title, and then add the command. It will sit neatly on your bar as so. All placeable commands are able to be macro'd onto the hotbar. You are also able to create a whole new hotbar 'loadout' to accommodate the usage of various macros by using the @quickbar commands that were added last year. @quickbar help may be used for more information on using loadouts.

2. Workspace
As Cyberviking wrote in his original tutorial;
'Before picking your perfect final location pick a "Working Area" that is away from all your other placeables. That way you can destroy and edit the placeable without accidentally destroying anything under and around where you've targeted.'

3. Spawn Useable
Personally, the way I decorate is with @spawn usable 1 on, ensuring then that everything is placed and spaced correctly. Once a placeable I have set as usable is placed where I want it, I am able to use @spawn set unusable and target the object.

WIth this method, you may target the placeable directly and use such as the reference point for moving it around. Each time you spawn it, select it, and delete it, it will leave where that placeable was as its default point*, allowing absolutely no mishaps with finicky @spawn delete. You will always be deleting the placeable, rather than allowing the system to pick on its own. Nonetheless, it does require a little bit of attention, as once you move the placeable by, say, x 0.1, it will continue moving that way with each deletion and reselection, unless you set it back to x 0. It takes getting used to, but is genuinely very helpful. View it as a constantly moving reference point.

(Technically, this tip eliminates the need for a 'work space', but it is always good to still have a space to spawn in placeables whilst flipping through the choices.)

* With the new update, selecting yourself with the tool will default the placeable to the prior selection, and use that as a reference point. This replaces the method used before, where you would continuously pick target the placeable. Now, you spawn the placeable, delete the placeable, and then select yourself with the spawn tool to respawn the placeable using the deleted one as a reference point.

4. Documentation
I'd recommend keeping a notepad open with any favored placeable numbers and their specifics, just in case you ever need them in the future. I find that it is always nice to look at my smaller list of placeables and find exactly the one I've wanted, because I've used it before.

5. Have fun!!!
:3c

Cyberviking's placeable tutorial
Old google doc

« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 08:03:56 PM by bunnie »