You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Cloud bewilderment needs about 5 feet longer range.  (Read 580 times)

tylernwn

• Dark Lord
Cloud bewilderment needs about 5 feet longer range.
« on: May 06, 2021, 11:24:13 AM »
The cloud of bewilderment spell needs a few more feet of range. Combined with misted magic, I have never been able to cast this spell without hitting myself. This outcome seems like it might not be intentional.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 01:07:43 PM by tylernwn »

foxtale

• Society of the Erudite
  • Undead Slayer
Re: Cloud bewilderment needs about 5 feet longer range.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 05:11:19 PM »
I have run into the same problem and agree.

It appears to be the only cloud spell with a range so short that misted magic will make it a risk to use; if the team does not want to upgrade its range, I suggest excluding it from the feat.
Mareike - "The alternative is saving only myself. I will go to any length for this."
Enora - "The Weald belongs to they that can take it."
Felise - "!em ton era uoY"

DM Sinister

• Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2021, 07:05:27 AM »
I have run into the same problem and agree.

It appears to be the only cloud spell with a range so short that misted magic will make it a risk to use; if the team does not want to upgrade its range, I suggest excluding it from the feat.

I would not recommend removing it from the feat. It is after all a cloud based spell.  While it does need a bigger range using mindblank or a dream catcher gets around the problem. I’ve always likened IC it to: a mage will always know their spells and their effects and would prepare accordingly.

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2021, 08:07:18 AM »
Clarity is a level 3 spell for wizards. Same reason you would have protection from elements on your allies before risking fireball placements, or cast Protection from Alignment before casting Gate.

Powerful spells have risks and appropriate measures should be taken, and it's far more flavourfun to do so.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2021, 08:44:27 AM »
As mentioned by others, it's one of the risks of Misted Magic.

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2021, 08:55:51 AM »
They could also not take the feat that could kill them, like not taking Voracious.

tylernwn

• Dark Lord
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2021, 09:02:11 AM »
If EO says that it is working as expected, then the spell is working as expected.

I just thought to bring this up because it has always seemed a little weird to me how cloud of bewilderment and misted magic worked together.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 09:20:18 AM by tylernwn »