Author Topic: Gendarme Patrolling the Port-à-Lucine Terraces  (Read 769 times)

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
  • "Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
Gendarme Patrolling the Port-à-Lucine Terraces
« on: May 05, 2021, 04:58:34 PM »
You know the one. We all know the one. It's the Gendarme that patrols infront of the Banque de Port-à-Lucine, from West to East. Can we get a solution to where that Gendarme's patrol path isn't pushing everyone who stands around the terraces?

Make two Gendarmes, and have one walk the terraces, then up and past Belker. Get the second one to patrol from the bank to infront of the Governor's Hotel. Who knows. I just know that whenever a PC Gendarme is around, they typically force the Gendarme to stop patrolling so people aren't constantly repositioned and pushed around.

JustMonika

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
Re: Gendarme Patrolling the Port-à-Lucine Terraces
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 05:00:24 PM »
Poor guy deserves an early retirement.
Or a bullet.

Wilkins1952

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Lord
  • For good to win evil must do nothing
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 05:01:43 PM »
I say we make Gendarmes actively search out PCs and push them around. Viva La Revolution.!!

But in all seriousness yes having to reposition a PC is a pain when you just want to relax and do Terrace RP and changing this would be good... Also I think stationary Gendarmes are more thematic for Dementliue. At least in the Savant and Publique where there are no threats.
"Its like watching people walk up to the line for "Be excellent to each other" and seeing how far they can spit across it." -GMNO

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 05:04:46 PM »
Poor guy deserves an early retirement.
Or a bullet.
make him drink bullet!

but yea +1 to this request. the day and night gendarme are often told to just go stand in a corner by the PC gendarmes to stop them from running into players.

Profezzor_Darke

• Undead Master
  • Join my club
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 05:07:17 PM »
YES

JUST YES

the only thing every person in Port agrees about!

please...

"[...] being cool is never a waste"

Philos

• Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
  • Developers
  • Dark Lord
  • Detruisez tous, c'est une obligation!
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2021, 05:10:30 PM »
I'll see about adjusting him.

Dardonas

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2021, 05:15:10 PM »
As an MPC, it'd be nice too if there were less patrols in general in certain areas like the Savant or in front of the transition to the Marchand.  You needn't get rid of all of them, but having obscure alleyways patrolled by Gendarmes makes it so that a DM is always required if you intend to do anything beyond the Ouvier.  Making a place less DM reliant seems like a good move for a place to have a healthy longevity. 

Really, the same thing goes for all of the NPCs who just stand around at night in Port.  Even in Hazlan where they have wizardry, NPCs go inside and lock doors to their businesses at night in places like Nordenvall.  While I recognize Port-a-Lucine isn't the defacto setting for "fear of the night" I feel like it would at least enable a tad more conflict.

slash

• Dark Lord
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2021, 05:42:24 PM »
As an MPC, it'd be nice too if there were less patrols in general in certain areas like the Savant or in front of the transition to the Marchand.  You needn't get rid of all of them, but having obscure alleyways patrolled by Gendarmes makes it so that a DM is always required if you intend to do anything beyond the Ouvier.  Making a place less DM reliant seems like a good move for a place to have a healthy longevity. 

Really, the same thing goes for all of the NPCs who just stand around at night in Port.  Even in Hazlan where they have wizardry, NPCs go inside and lock doors to their businesses at night in places like Nordenvall.  While I recognize Port-a-Lucine isn't the defacto setting for "fear of the night" I feel like it would at least enable a tad more conflict.

That doesn't really make sense for the setting. The upper class of Dementlieu are intended to be largely ignorant of the suffering that goes unseen largely under their noses. For that to happen, there needs to be regular patrolling of the state police in order to keep the lower class from just running up and stabbing some noble.
"My soul is overflowing with obeisant reverence, and Your Most Illustrious Excellency of benignity, to you I most humbly bow." -Francesco Ferdinando Alfieri.

Dardonas

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2021, 05:51:05 PM »

That doesn't really make sense for the setting. The upper class of Dementlieu are intended to be largely ignorant of the suffering that goes unseen largely under their noses. For that to happen, there needs to be regular patrolling of the state police in order to keep the lower class from just running up and stabbing some noble.

They can do that still, all I'm asking for is lessened security around the peripherals and for perhaps NPCs to go in at nighttime.  It's a challenging experience to do conflict in Port-a-Lucine without a DM, and that is largely due to an overabundance of NPCs.  It's possible, certainly, and there has been some success in the past, but that is if you get people out of the massive "safe zone" to come to other places where there aren't as many patrols or NPCs.

JustMonika

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2021, 06:39:00 PM »

They can do that still, all I'm asking for is lessened security around the peripherals and for perhaps NPCs to go in at nighttime.  It's a challenging experience to do conflict in Port-a-Lucine without a DM, and that is largely due to an overabundance of NPCs.  It's possible, certainly, and there has been some success in the past, but that is if you get people out of the massive "safe zone" to come to other places where there aren't as many patrols or NPCs.

As a former Dementlieu AMPC, I am fine with things being the way they are. I think it's important for PCs to have a safe zone where they can go and be certain they're not going to get entangled in things - But with the hint of danger in that if a DM is around, perhaps they're not so safe.

It also stops things getting silly. Bodies piling up in the Savant and the Publique just gets too extreme too quickly. That sort of thing should be moderated - And it is, by requiring DM observation.

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
  • "Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2021, 09:22:34 AM »

As a former Dementlieu AMPC, I am fine with things being the way they are. I think it's important for PCs to have a safe zone where they can go and be certain they're not going to get entangled in things - But with the hint of danger in that if a DM is around, perhaps they're not so safe.

It also stops things getting silly. Bodies piling up in the Savant and the Publique just gets too extreme too quickly. That sort of thing should be moderated - And it is, by requiring DM observation.

I think the Savant and Publique being entrenched in Gendarme NPCs is fairly decent. If a DM gets ahold of them, their pistols are nasty business, otherwise they're mid-level combatants that Gendarmes can whistle and summon in a mighty drove. It pumps the brakes on brazen assassinations and lawlessness. If someone refuses to comply with being arrested, they know there are a ton of NPCs in the area. Remarkably, it achieves making the area feel safe. Their constant patrolling fits the theme, as I think slash touched up on. My only purpose for this thread was achieving it so that Barons, Baronesses, and so on and so forth aren't being constantly repositioned by the Gendarmerie every time they linger on the terraces due to their patrol path.

The idea of a Gendarme constantly shoulderchecking the gentry aside, it's terribly inconvenient no matter if you're playing a Noble or a commoner/foreigner PC. It's just annoying.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2021, 09:36:44 AM »
In regards to the Savant and Publique this is what the government wants to protect. It is where the gentry are after all. It makes sense that they are heavily patrolled.

That said this thread was about the Gendarme that patrols the terraces that bumps into people there not about Gendarmes in the rest of the city.

Vastgoten

• Red Academy Faculty
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2021, 09:44:25 AM »
All Port AMPCss.. just hit the road and go to Vallaki, we offer our city in your care 50% of the daylight cycle, no hidden costs, just plain free roaming! 😎

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2021, 08:38:06 PM »
This should now be better, hopefully.