You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Unable to polymorph Familiars (and supposedly animal companions)  (Read 532 times)

Vlax

• New to the Mists
Hello, I would just like to preface this by saying I checked for any other threads like this and found none, so if this has already been addressed I apologize, and also I understand the server changed the polymorph spell from just being able to polymorph yourself.

Name:
Unable to polymorph Familiar

Where:
General amongst all casters

When:
Appears to just be how the spell is coded as of now

What:
The spell description says you may polymorph yourself or an ally into any of the respective creatures. However, though your familiar and animal companions are allies, they can not be polymorphed.

Recreate:
This is simply how the spell is coded. The main reason I am making this thread for is that I'm not even sure if this is a "bug' or simply intentional design with a grey area spell description

Ideas:
So with the above being said. I would like to say this. I can understand how It could be a powerful thing to be able to have, say a pixie, which can deal with locks and traps (though at this point there are plenty of spells to help with that regardless), and then turn it into an umberhullk or troll and have it fight as well. However my thoughts on that is this. Though it would be cool to just be able to be a cool mage who has his summoned monster rampage across his enemies, it really isn't that powerful (from my experience at least). A wizard or sorcerer could buff up said familiar and then polymorph them and have them crush through a cave of bandits, but once it gets to things that are of a decent level, the lack of extra attacks and the fact that they aren't able to overcome magical resistances makes them not so great. And even without being polymorphed a warded worg or deathdog is still going to rampage through the same cave and they would be more effective as they both have an extra attack, and at the level you get this spell, you can ward them enough to where the difference in stats only results in a few points more in AC and hitpoints (hitpoints only being in favor of the polymorph in the first few levels that you first get polymorph) So at that point the extra attack gives the worg or death dog much more effectiveness for combat. The main point i'm trying to get at is that, without the ability for a wizard to make his familiars, (or his own polymorphed form's) attacks magical, and being that a worg/death dog gets more attacks, then this spell isn't really overpowered to be able to put on your familiar as once you start hitting decent level undead or other creatures, you simply wont be able to hang with them because of the low damage output and limit of an AC in the 30s, regardless of whether or not its a deathdog/worg or an umberhulk/troll, (though the umberhulk would have slightly more AC and hitpoints at the level where you first get polymorph IIRC)
---
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 06:12:15 PM by Vlax »

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
Re: Unable to polymorph Familiars (and supposedly animal companions)
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2021, 11:41:12 AM »
This is how it works in NwN, so not a bug.

Vlax

• New to the Mists
Re: Unable to polymorph Familiars (and supposedly animal companions)
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2021, 03:13:55 PM »
Ok ty, just checking to see if it was intentional or not given how the spell was changed to affecting others not just yourself unlike vanilla NWN.