Author Topic: Suggestions for Blaustein  (Read 570 times)

Wilkins1952

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Lord
  • For good to win evil must do nothing
Suggestions for Blaustein
« on: April 29, 2021, 11:19:27 PM »
Recently after spending some time in Balustein the whole island seems rather unequipped for anything more than dungeoning and being used as a go between for Ghastria and Port. I was wondering what people would say to adding things like a smithy, and perhaps a tailors shop there it would be thematic with it as a shipping community. Also having paper for sale at the general store would be a nice. Seems it is one of the few places lacking that.
"Its like watching people walk up to the line for "Be excellent to each other" and seeing how far they can spit across it." -GMNO

Kaninchen

• Undead Master
Re: Suggestions for Blaustein
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2021, 11:44:43 PM »
Blaustein has been talked about before, and it's been said the domain is supposed to be highly xenophobic, and suspicious of outsiders, so there wouldn't be much int he way of amenities there for people who aren't Blaustein-ites?

HM01

• Undead Master
  • The Department of Gnomeland Security
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2021, 12:06:56 AM »
For its size and scale I think it is excellent and considering you can teleport to two other domains, I think it requires nothing else.

Wilkins1952

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Lord
  • For good to win evil must do nothing
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2021, 02:19:27 AM »
Blaustein has been talked about before, and it's been said the domain is supposed to be highly xenophobic, and suspicious of outsiders, so there wouldn't be much int he way of amenities there for people who aren't Blaustein-ites?

True but I suspect anywhere that takes on boats especially a place that is not exactly limiting on who it lets dock would have a place anyone can make repairs they just might charge more than they would for locals as well as using the poorer quality materials.

For its size and scale I think it is excellent and considering you can teleport to two other domains, I think it requires nothing else.

Perhaps but then Ghastria also suffers from the same issue where it is primarily a dungeon domain with little else other that 1 rare crafting material. And if you are avoiding port then you really have only one option which is to run back to Vallaki.
"Its like watching people walk up to the line for "Be excellent to each other" and seeing how far they can spit across it." -GMNO

PrimetheGrime

• Full-time Hunter, Part-time Outlaw
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2021, 02:24:34 AM »

True but I suspect anywhere that takes on boats especially a place that is not exactly limiting on who it lets dock would have a place anyone can make repairs they just might charge more than they would for locals as well as using the poorer quality materials.

Perhaps but then Ghastria also suffers from the same issue where it is primarily a dungeon domain with little else other that 1 rare crafting material. And if you are avoiding port then you really have only one option which is to run back to Vallaki.

Both domains are more used for plotlines than intended to be a hub or a place with amenities. In blausteins case as someone already mentioned, it's heavily xenophobic to outsiders, bordering on hostile. There's a lot of pirates about on those seas as well. As for Ghastria, it's had some history in the past of being used for plots, especially one I heard of that Dread ran years ago. Whilst the populace isn't xenophobic like blausteiners, they have their own issues that are better foic.

bloodless

• The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • ?
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2021, 04:51:22 AM »
I was led to believe that Blaustein has deviated a lot from the book sources in server lore due to the late ocr system implementation. Such that the Blaustein we do have is perfectly happy to have just about any type around so long as they don't cause Bluebeard trouble.

Personally my thoughts on these things is that the more we can move away from dungeon domains into ones that are more broadly usable for at least some swath of the population that isn't hyper narrow, the better it will be for the health and diversity of it all. The recent movement in Har'Akir is a fantastic example of a once basically dungeon only space now featuring a slew of RP.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 04:55:29 AM by bloodless »

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2021, 12:30:26 PM »
I was led to believe that Blaustein has deviated a lot from the book sources in server lore due to the late ocr system implementation. Such that the Blaustein we do have is perfectly happy to have just about any type around so long as they don't cause Bluebeard trouble.

Actually that's the other way around; they don't want you there, but Bluebeard has decreed that people can stay so long as they do not cause trouble. The NPC dialog reflects that.

Otherwise, there are no plans to add more RP hubs, especially in rather hostile places.