Author Topic: Player Made Books  (Read 1083 times)

Praying Mantis

• Church of Ezra - Refuge of Fifth Light
  • Undead Slayer
Player Made Books
« on: April 25, 2021, 07:04:37 PM »
Wondering if there's a way to make a book as a PC?  Or something that can extend the word limit for writing on a piece of parchment?  I have a bard PC and want to record his stories, but I always run out of space on a piece of paper.  I know the bookseller in Vallaki has works that were written by players long ago, just wondering if something exists.

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
Re: Player Made Books
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2021, 07:41:29 PM »
you can buy blank journals in port, they can take quite a lot of writing but not sure on the limit. You can even title them
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

JustMonika

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2021, 08:08:14 PM »
you can buy blank journals in port, they can take quite a lot of writing but not sure on the limit. You can even title them

They have exactly the same character limit as everything else, which I believe is 1024.

TherapyCat

• I'm aware I can't spell but look at my art uwu
  • Dark Lord
  • Aka BrokeCollegeKid/Colorfullfan
    • POTM IN THE SIMS
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 06:19:13 AM »

I have checked every store in port that I can think of, are you sure these still exist?

inkcorvid

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2021, 06:23:46 AM »

I have checked every store in port that I can think of, are you sure these still exist?

They do! They can be bought from the same (and only) place one can buy blank, writable canvases: the Vistani between Marchand and the Ouvrier with the dancing bear. Strangely, the canvas seller in the marketplace doesn't sell canvas that can be painted on, only the "vendor trash" canvases one sometimes finds in loot tables. One would expect both of these items to be available in more obvious places, but the Vistani have something of a monopoly on them.
Active: Nissa Arden, Chiara Grassini
Shelved: Dindalmogra Ggol, Serinda Takmarin, Lyra Rimewood, Sofie Reiss, Aidelina Gatteux, Odette Sautereau, Livny Skovgaard, Innogen Ashe
Closed: Anjeza Bajramovic, Nim Farboffle

JustMonika

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2021, 06:35:41 AM »

They do! They can be bought from the same (and only) place one can buy blank, writable canvases: the Vistani between Marchand and the Ouvrier with the dancing bear. Strangely, the canvas seller in the marketplace doesn't sell canvas that can be painted on, only the "vendor trash" canvases one sometimes finds in loot tables. One would expect both of these items to be available in more obvious places, but the Vistani have something of a monopoly on them.

Worth noting the Vistani will only be out during the day, and will not be outside during the night.

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
  • "Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2021, 11:42:22 AM »
I think in-game parchments need higher character counts from the outset. I'm sure there's a good reason for them being there that I'm unaware of, but the 1024 character limit is stifling, especially if you are writing documents that need to be distributed ICly either for rules purposes, or for flavor purposes, that corresponds to a forum post.

In some cases, you're forced to just write, 'Haha go to the forum link, SIKE!' instead of an actual message, but with the item placed IG for legal reasons. Being able to actually write books, have them printed and sold would be hella dope, and make for cool angles for book collectors that doesn't require a DM to make a custom item.

JustMonika

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2021, 12:19:41 PM »
I think in-game parchments need higher character counts from the outset. I'm sure there's a good reason for them being there that I'm unaware of, but the 1024 character limit is stifling, especially if you are writing documents that need to be distributed ICly either for rules purposes, or for flavor purposes, that corresponds to a forum post.

In some cases, you're forced to just write, 'Haha go to the forum link, SIKE!' instead of an actual message, but with the item placed IG for legal reasons. Being able to actually write books, have them printed and sold would be hella dope, and make for cool angles for book collectors that doesn't require a DM to make a custom item.

It's an engine limit I believe. The magical means by which DMs are able to impliment items with longer descriptions are non trival/impossible to replicate in game.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2021, 12:21:46 PM »

I wish that they were sold in other parts of port-a-lucine not just the vistani.

Vastgoten

• Red Academy Faculty
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2021, 12:28:37 PM »
I wish they were sold in Vallaki!

JustMonika

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2021, 01:15:20 PM »

When you invent the printing press, you too can have books!

Vastgoten

• Red Academy Faculty
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2021, 01:20:09 PM »

When you invent the printing press, you too can have books!

Invent,,?   how about stealing! 😉

Praying Mantis

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2021, 09:13:49 PM »
So I take the then those books written by PC's long ago for sale at Houlgrave's are custom made DM items then?

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2021, 09:18:35 PM »
So I take the then those books written by PC's long ago for sale at Houlgrave's are custom made DM items then?

Yep.

It does create good RP to become an author (Amelie has done amazing things with that concept) and DMs will absolutely put your works into the server if they're worthwhile. A few years back there was actually a big drive to put a bunch of new books in, actually.
: )

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2021, 09:33:03 PM »
I'll add blank journals to more shops and the blank canvases to the Grand Bazaar. As for the word limit, it's intentional; it could be extended now but books written in-game tend to have a larger impact on performance/character file size.

Praying Mantis

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2021, 10:18:55 AM »
That makes sense if it's performance based, wouldn't want to mess with that.  Is there any other way to tell when you're reaching the limit of your current writing though other than manually counting each character?  The trouble I'm having is my writings are ending mid sentence because I can't tell how much space I have left
"And they all lived happily ever after, the e" lol

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2021, 10:53:52 AM »
Try writing them out of the game and adhere to the 1024 character limit. Sublime text editor has a built in character count. If it's not 1024 characters, you'll know.

Alternatively, write the title of the book and a short preview, then make a mention of the full work being available on the forums, unless you want to be carrying around several volumes.
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2021, 08:39:18 PM »
I've added some blank books and canvases to other shops.