You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Curse of the Amber Wastes  (Read 1056 times)

Enneagon

• New to the Mists
Curse of the Amber Wastes
« on: April 23, 2021, 08:50:47 PM »
Hello, everyone!

I'm in the process of writing an unofficial 5th edition module called Curse of the Amber Wastes. It's a direct sequel to Curse of Strahd that is not only set in the Amber Wastes, but is a complete re-imagining of the setting from the ground up. CotAW shuffles the map and features new characters, new settings, and new stories, while still staying true to its roots.

Why am I here, you ask? In reconstructing this region, I'm looking for people to populate it and concepts to get players excited to explore. For that reason I have come to you, seeking tales to add to my collection. What developments have taken place in Har'Akir that are unique to this community? What characters have explored the Amber Wastes, or are native to it? What stories do you have to share?

I want to stress that I'm not here to simply republish your tales with my name on them. Nor am I that mythical person who's out to steal your original character. I'm here to collaborate, to get inspired, and to definitely give full credit where credit is due if I do incorporate anything that I find here. You're also sort of my target audience, so it would be prudent to ask: What would you want to see in a full Amber Wastes adventure?

NacreCicatrix

• Dark Lord
  • loser
Re: Curse of the Amber Wastes
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2021, 08:50:13 AM »
I would rather see Sebua or Pharazia. Not Har'akir.
It is not an ending, but an ebbing.

slash

• Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2021, 09:21:18 AM »
If you want some inspiration for writing about Har'Akir, I would recommend checking out Ravenloft: Stone Prophet. It's a computer RPG set in the domain and afaik much of the server's content is based on or inspired by it.

As for personal experiences, I think that there is a lot of interesting work to be done with the trolls and the scorpionfolk. I'd be happy to talk to you more about it in a PM or over discord (my discord handle is iM_RDY#2245), though I am somewhat apprehensive of sharing too much IC information here, because I don't want to spoil anything for the community. One thing I can share is, there has recently been a lot of interest in Har'Akir in Dementlieu's Port-au-Lucine, and knowing how they, in 3E, tend to look down on "lesser cultures" could lead to some interesting developments. Of course, I don't know if this intrigue is compatible with 5E, since 5E Dementlieu is (to my knowledge) center stage to a fey court rather than what it's iteration used here on the server is.

Finally, another source you could tap into is one of the original devs for Har'Akir, Prophet of Lies.

Hope this helps! :D
"My soul is overflowing with obeisant reverence, and Your Most Illustrious Excellency of benignity, to you I most humbly bow." -Francesco Ferdinando Alfieri.

Enneagon

• New to the Mists
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2021, 01:58:36 PM »
I would rather see Sebua or Pharazia. Not Har'akir.

Don't worry - Curse of the Amber Wastes includes the whole dang cluster.

Drekavac

• Dark Power
  • Wholesome Memer
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2021, 04:20:22 AM »
If you want some inspiration for writing about Har'Akir, I would recommend checking out Ravenloft: Stone Prophet. It's a computer RPG set in the domain and afaik much of the server's content is based on or inspired by it.

As for personal experiences, I think that there is a lot of interesting work to be done with the trolls and the scorpionfolk. I'd be happy to talk to you more about it in a PM or over discord (my discord handle is iM_RDY#2245), though I am somewhat apprehensive of sharing too much IC information here, because I don't want to spoil anything for the community. One thing I can share is, there has recently been a lot of interest in Har'Akir in Dementlieu's Port-au-Lucine, and knowing how they, in 3E, tend to look down on "lesser cultures" could lead to some interesting developments. Of course, I don't know if this intrigue is compatible with 5E, since 5E Dementlieu is (to my knowledge) center stage to a fey court rather than what it's iteration used here on the server is.

Finally, another source you could tap into is one of the original devs for Har'Akir, Prophet of Lies.

Hope this helps! :D

They're certainly connected to an extent. There is an adventure that includes Abu Al-Mir a werejackal survival from the temple of Anubis who is then pursued by a mummy  Lef Ahmnet sent by  Ankhtepot to kill him. In the module, the museum in Port-a-Lucine includes artifacts taken there from the Amber Wastes including Har'akir with Joseph Fogg being a sort of robber of 'exotic' artifacts from various other domains to bring back to the city.
Turning PCs into Darklords and MPCs since 2017