You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Elyot Pepin - The Tiny Mesmer  (Read 674 times)

The Tiny Mesmer

• New to the Mists
  • The Tiny Mesmer
Elyot Pepin - The Tiny Mesmer
« on: March 25, 2021, 11:44:13 AM »

[These are the remains of what looks to have been an old journal at some point. The frayed leather cover is in complete disrepair, and the spine is so loose that the pages are beginning to fall out.]

Port-à-Lucine - The Barnacle - Late Summer

Bonjour, you tattered old thing. Your previous owner seemed rather eccentric, to put it plainly. Some of your pages have me deeply worried, but I'm not one pry. Though I’ll admit, some of the entries certainly proved for some entertaining reading material. Sorry to say, but I got you for only a couple of solars at the pawn store. Quality parchment isn’t exactly cheap to come by, so I consider it a bit of halfling luck that we would cross paths like this. Surely you won’t mind if I fill out the remains of your soiled pages? I'll take good care of you, I promise. In fact! I'll even drink the last of this brandy in honor of your previous owner.

I can't believe I'm writing this in someone else's journal.

P.S. You're not cursed or anything, right?

Port-à-Lucine - The Tenements - Late Summer

Another sleepless night...

I find myself wide awake once more, staring at the ceiling as I’m forced to listen to my neighbours relentless snoring. Along with the sounds of a thousand tiny feet scuttering about. In the walls; through floorboards, up the rafters.

Creaking, groaning, moaning... Creeping, squeaking, looming.

Once I finally come close to slumber, I imagine the pesky vermin will come crawling to nibble at my feet. Taunting me to stay awake with their insidious laughter! The revolting stench of urine and sweat that permeates the air fills my nostrils, though I’m not entirely sure if it's me or just the Ouvrier as a whole.

Just a couple more hours and it’s back to work...
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 08:49:46 PM by The Tiny Mesmer »

The Tiny Mesmer

• New to the Mists
  • The Tiny Mesmer
Re: Elyot Pepin - The Tiny Mesmer
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2021, 09:07:47 AM »
[These are the remains of what looks to have been an old journal at some point. The frayed leather cover is in complete disrepair, and the spine is so loose that the pages are beginning to fall out.]

Port-à-Lucine - The Barnacle - Late Summer

You would not believe what has transpired these last few days! I managed to finally find some free time in order to attend one of the classes at the Université. While the subject matter proved rather confounding, the most curious part happened towards the end of the session. As one of the professors, a woman from Sri-Raji I believe. Turned out to be a… the name escapes me now… a Ra-something. Either way, apparently the professor was actually a demon! I knew that there were plenty of snakes in this city, but this, a demon?! The other attendants seemed rather oblivious to her sudden transformation, almost as if they were expecting it to happen. It makes me wonder what other manner of horror we have that are secretly pulling the string from the shadows.

The least thing I can do right now is to drink my worries away. I've decided to apply for a new position in the city, though I doubt that any change will come my way anytime soon. I tire of slaving away like this.

We all do...
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 09:22:09 AM by The Tiny Mesmer »

The Tiny Mesmer

• New to the Mists
  • The Tiny Mesmer
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 08:32:02 PM »

Port-à-Lucine - 'Secrets' - Fall

A lot has transpired since I last wrote; not only the change of seasons, but the fate of my miserable life. I’ve made a sudden advance of employment, something I scarcely expected to happen anytime soon, or at all for that matter. Alas, from here on, unto the no doubt unexpected future, I’ll be working for two rather influential women. I’m to be their personal assistant, though I expect that it’ll be little else than a glorified butler. Still it beats having to work the docks and be running deliveries. Even if it simply means switching one boot for another ‘slightly’ more fancy one. Just a couple more hours of leisure is good enough for me, perhaps I'll finally have some spare time for more writing. I’m hopeful that there is something to gain from all of this, and I'll make bloody sure that I don't waste this opportunity! To think that I’ll be greasing elbows with the upper crust of this city. Well, perhaps not quite so...
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 07:56:36 AM by The Tiny Mesmer »

The Tiny Mesmer

• New to the Mists
  • The Tiny Mesmer
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 10:48:40 AM »

Fall...

I attended my first ever ball along my newly found employers the other night. Though a spectacle to be sure, I did little else but linger among the crowd of fine garbs, mind-numbing perfumes, and enough alcohol to keep a whole navy content for a year. In fact, I considered my position a true blessing. Hardly having to deal with petty social conduct or backhanded compliments. With so many influential names and titles gathered together like a powder-keg ready to blow up, the air was so thick with spite that you could cut through it with a knife. I noted a distinct lacking of my own kin, not that I'm surprised, though it only further goes to show what continues to go unnoticed in this "fair" republic.

So much for culture and diversity I suppose.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 06:09:51 PM by The Tiny Mesmer »

The Tiny Mesmer

• New to the Mists
  • The Tiny Mesmer
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 08:40:14 PM »

Mood Music:
Spoiler: show

???

I had the same dream again, or perhaps it isn’t a dream, but some kind of distant memory. Yet I can’t seem to remember. It clings to the back of my mind, clawing; gnawing, taunting me. Something forbidden, something I wish to forget but somehow can't. I know it well enough, like the back of my hand. Every tiny fraction of detail, from the salt in the air, the taste of iron in my mouth, to the bitter chill in the air.

I wake upon a stormy shore someplace I might have once upon a time call home. I lie naked on my back in the sand. All I can feel is the rain caressing my fragile body. I’m so cold to the point where I can no longer move my aching bones. A sudden chill rushes up my spine as a colossal wave comes crashing down upon my broken form, crushing me beneath the waves. Washing me away into the infinite depths of the blackened sea, swallowing me whole. The pain is too great to even resist, so I simply succumb to the waters. I’m choking, drowning, at peace.

Suddenly I’m back in my bed, drenched in salt...

[Most of the page looks to have been soiled by water, rain, or perhaps tears.]
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 08:46:12 PM by The Tiny Mesmer »

The Tiny Mesmer

• New to the Mists
  • The Tiny Mesmer
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2021, 08:19:08 PM »

Mood Music:
Spoiler: show

Port-à-Lucine - The Tenements - Spring

Another night of elbows greasing and ass-kissing. The exhibit was never meant to showcase art. Just an opportunity for the ‘elite’ to play with dolls dressed in rags, the dolls being 'us'. The paintings proved nothing more than stage scenery for their dollhouse that represents our their city, something pretty to look at for the vainglorious and megalomaniac. Ideas, twisted, and utterly vapid imagery of what our their city is supposed to look like. In the eyes of a dreamer, perhaps. I have to laugh. They put on their costumes and dance the same old dance, only some do it better than others. Those that fail or step out of line are dealt with quicker than the blade of the guillotine. Just like that, they're replaced by the next dog in line. Who no doubt is more than eager to pick up the scraps, until there is nothing left but a shadow. Thus, the cycle continues.

"Food for the poor" is all well and good, but it's the oldest trick in the book at this point.

What we need is justice! We DEMAND justice!