Author Topic: Medusa's Bane Amulet buff  (Read 699 times)

foxtale

• Society of the Erudite
  • Undead Slayer
Medusa's Bane Amulet buff
« on: April 16, 2021, 07:49:55 PM »
The item currently has the property

"Immunity: Gaze attack petrification"

It does exactly what it says on the tin. However, I believe it is still rather deceiving, as it does not protect from the spells Flesh to Stone and Cast in Stone.
I propose that these properties should be added to the item as well. Specifically Cast in Stone is terrifyingly powerful as Druids get very high DCs thanks to Owl's Insight and saves vs. death not applying to the level 9 instant disable.

Even then the amulet would likely not be worn over the many other good options for the slot, but it would fill a very specific niche that I believe should be filled.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 04:33:07 AM by foxtale »
Mareike - "The alternative is saving only myself. I will go to any length for this."
Enora - "The Weald belongs to they that can take it."
Felise - "!em ton era uoY"

inkcorvid

• Dark Power
Re: Medusa's Bane Amulet buff
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 07:51:53 PM »
Hilariously, it isn't even protective against all magical creatures. A gorgon will still get you.
Active: Nissa Arden, Chiara Grassini
Shelved: Dindalmogra Ggol, Serinda Takmarin, Lyra Rimewood, Sofie Reiss, Aidelina Gatteux, Odette Sautereau, Livny Skovgaard, Innogen Ashe
Closed: Anjeza Bajramovic, Nim Farboffle

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2021, 01:48:05 AM »
It should have other ones that cover petrification by breath attack, so it does protect against gorgons, which is why its called Medusa's Bane, its a bane for Medusa who is a gorgon.

There isn't an immunity specifically against Petrification in its entirety but the tag of the item could be added as a check for petrification spells to not activate.

This would probably be the better option, as changing the item to be immune to an array of specific spells would vastly increase its value, and there are spells like Prismatic Spray which only petrify at random alongside beholder eye rays.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2021, 10:57:44 AM »
I'll update the treasury version to grant blanket immunity to petrification. However, it won't be retroactive automatically so you'll need to ask a DM to swap it.

Mayvind

• Red Academy
  • Dark Lord
  • I won't Bite
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2021, 07:26:01 PM »
dang i just sold lots of them away ! :(

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2021, 08:39:38 PM »
The changes have been applied, but not retroactively to existing amulets.