You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Spell change suggestion: Gate  (Read 464 times)

Caerylia Durothil

• Outlander
  • Defender of the Grove
Spell change suggestion: Gate
« on: April 09, 2021, 09:09:32 AM »
I know there has been a thread about this spell before (and I read everything that was posted there), but I always bemoaned the fact that Gate spell for Ravenloft can only summon balor, and thus only evil-aligned truly use it. I'm aware that Gate spell is a DP-worthy, believed to be inherently evil spell since you're summoning an Outsider and that Outsider has no way out of Ravenloft, but Planar Ally and Planar Binding work the same way. I also do not think every character knows the fact that summoning in the Demi-Planes of Dread is a one-way street, and so some clerics and wizards will make this mistake.

Mechanically, I've seen a feature elsewhere where I could type /planargood, /planarneutral/ or /planarevil through chat commands to summon appropriate alignment creatures. Good summons a more powerful version of the Celestial Avenger (although it would be great if we could summon a deva, perhaps?), Neutral summons a White Slaad, and Evil calls forth a balor.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 09:17:15 AM by Caerylia Talan'dir »

mccarthy00

• Undead Master
Re: Spell change suggestion: Gate
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 09:46:45 AM »
i dont think the dark powers would want an army of devas to be trapped in the mists, feels like they keep it intentionally to evil summons so high level mages fall to corruption by summoning a fiend and thinking its fine

tylernwn

• Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 06:39:00 PM »
I’d love to see pit fiends added to the list of what can be summoned by the gate spell.

Sinthepie

• Undead Slayer
  • A push is all it takes.
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 08:37:59 PM »
I just want to be able to summon a pet Pit Fiend. Or a White Slaad.