You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Good In All Things- Tales of an Influencer and Inspirationist  (Read 396 times)

Praying Mantis

• New to the Mists
At times it is hard to believe what has happened.  Making the journey to the Plains of Dust after the Qualinesti nearly fell to extinction, only to end up misted away to this dark and macabre land.  Sometimes I still think they're mad, the ones who say this is a different realm entirely, the mists are a gateway to....something else.  It all seems so far fetched.  And yet, over the past few days no matter how hard I look there is not escape.  No matter how many I ask, they seem to have a tale similar to mine, it seems far too often an occurrence to be a coincidence. 

Still though, there is a silver lining to everything.  My ambition has always been to use the gift of words that Astra has blessed me with to tell the Song of Life.  What better place to start these stories of inspiration than in a land that needs them most?  At least then it will be an interesting way to pass the time which can almost seem to stand still here.  So here's a prayer that these words will be passed around the inns and taverns, in hopes that even just one may find their spirits lifted.
-J'ystn

Praying Mantis

• New to the Mists
Re: Good In All Things- Tales of an Influencer and Inspirationist
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2021, 10:07:16 PM »
HEROES IN ALL SHAPES AND SIZES-

Everyone wants to be a hero.  Sure, we have different ways of going about it, but the thrill, fame, and recognition of doing something greater than yourself calls to us all in some way.  I'm no different.  So, it is in Barovia that... (admittedly with way too much free time on my hands and way to few coins in my pouch) I struck out to be a great hero of my own, picking up a sword with intent to use in real life for the first time.  What the hells did I hope to accomplish?  No idea.  But I knew whatever it was, it was going to be grand!
My first adventure found me soon after living the limited civilization of the outskirts.  Along the road I was waylaid by a swarm of giant beetles.  After a disappointing bout of missed slashes, it was clear to me the time to run had come.  Some hero.  In my flight, I was lucky enough to score a hit with a stray crossbow bolt and take one of these awful insects down. 

But now, cornered!  No where to run.  Time to hero up and do what I set out for.  Drawing steel, I missed again and again, a stalemate of combat between myself and my insectoid opponent.  As we circled each other, blessings from the Song of Life appeared.  We stumbled across a hero of the most unlikely kind who quickly aided me in my fight against this great evil!  A hero none other than....a stray and rabid weasel.  The weasel clawed and bit at the beetle with the fervor of a veteran warrior.  It easily took down it's prey swiftly and efficiently and then....turned on me! Exit stage left.

THE MORAL OF THE STORY- You never know when you'll find a hero amongst you.  They come in all shapes and sizes, and all walks of life.  Whether it be the warrior in gleaming armor, or the lone weasel pissed that something tread on it's home, there they are ready to take action when the time calls for it.  I only hope my friends that you may find this hero in your own lives or better yet....you be that hero to someone else when needed
-J'ystn

Praying Mantis

• New to the Mists
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2021, 11:21:27 PM »
FRIENDS WHEN YOU LEAST EXPECT IT

Sometimes we aren't always looking for our hero.  But that is their role after all isn't it?  To inspire when we least expect it.  Shortly after my unfortunate mist induced arrival, I found myself contemplating my current circumstances in the outskirts as so many do.  The mediation was broken when a pack of lycan werebeasts in wolf form attacked from seemingly nowhere!

The ravenous beasts scattered the crowd, and those with the means and skill to do so pursued, clashing head on with the thud and fury of violent combat.  Soon, the wolf beasts retreated.  Naturally seeking to see the tale unfold first hand I pursued, only to find myself alone and rather unsafe outside an orphanage.  What's more...unusual mists were settling in, and we know how that goes.

It was then that by the Song of Life's majesty, I found my own inspiration.  A trio of heroes returning from a separate venture.  Good Sir Lucien with armor gleaming and faith in his outlander deity Selune that carried him through.  Conner, the kilted tradesman who though of few words had a quiet and strong goodness to him.  And Drew, a deft and sly woman who's grand persona was only matched my the scope of her hat.

They took me under their wing in the night.  A night I may not have survived alone.  It would seem now I was part of their noble purpose to set an unjust act straight, find the site of a recent attack related to a friend of theirs who had recently passed and had his grave robbed.  We walked the dark and gloomy path through the evening, set upon by the nights creatures, werebeasts in the humanoid form of half man, half bat.  Their thin, leathery wings beat against steel and sword, however, at the end, my companions were triumphant!

We reached a nobles keep at the end, though sadly what they sought was nowhere to be found.  It seemed though I had much to gain from this trip.  These kind souls took great compassion in their hearts, helping to equip me with tools of the trade I may need to survive along these types of adventures.  They taught me tips and tricks to get by as well.  I had set out after the initial attack in the outskirts seeking a story of excitement, but what I had found instead were shining examples of what a hero really is.

THE MORAL OF THE STORY-
Dark and violent places often breed the brightest of heroes.  Perhaps it was always in their hearts, perhaps they came into this role out of necessity for all the despair that settles upon Barovia and places like it.  None the less, they are there, helping those in need when we least expect it.  We're all in this together, that is the most important thing to remember.  And I've learned from this encounter one important lesson, pay that goodness forward, for you never know when you might be the unexpected hero that shows up "by chance" to aid someone else in need.

Praying Mantis

• New to the Mists
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2021, 11:27:07 PM »
IN YOUR DARKEST OF TIMES

I've come to learn just how trying Barovia can be.  There is danger and death at every corner.  Often we are on an island here, separated from home and family, and with no one to really trust to turn to.  However, just when things seem at their lowest, those who may not even know it can bring the inspiration you need.
I was trying my hand at at heroics and had just dipped my head into the crypts below the temple of the kind dawn worshippers.  This peek below was just enough time to realize my doom.  It seems a rather careless adventurer had ran and gathered all the vile undead right to the base of the steps as I stepped down.  They set upon me instantly, hacking and slashing with little chance to defend!  I twisted and fell, as things went black I had one last thought...I was certain I'd die at this moment.  The inexplicable happened then, perhaps it was divine intervention, perhaps it was a glitch in the matrix, I know not.  All I know, is somehow I made it to the summit of the steps, back to the safety of the temple. 

An inspiring story of perseverance right?  No doubt I'd receive aid and get back to it, all the wiser for my carelessness.  Wrong...As I lie fleeting in between life and death in the temple, no one rushed to my aid.  In fact, in my vulnerable state, someone was so devious as to remove all the coin from my satchel.  Yet...this was not the end...as the spirit began to leave the body, something drove to push through, my life's Song was not yet over.  I rose.

Rose just in time to encounter a party about to head below and clear the undead, vanquish them from the steps, and then all the way to the core of the ruins beneath the temple.  I had though my situation too dire to overcome.  I had begun to lose faith in the humanity of those around me.  Yet just at that time, a random group of strangers proved that the impossible can be overcome. 

THE MORAL OF THE STORY- Your actions matter.  We never truly know the frame of mind of those around us. What might seem like a random act to you might be the inspiration someone needs to get them past the tipping point.  Act as though what you do will make all the difference to those who are watching.

Praying Mantis

• New to the Mists
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2021, 09:52:35 PM »
*the following story circulates many a quiet fireside evening at the various taverns of Vallaki*

A TOUCH OF DIGNITY

She tended her rows with the gentle touch of a mother enamored with her newborn.  Each one of her plots was kept with immaculate and loving care.  Each space was a life's work.  They took decades if not more to cultivate.  And every one had grown into it's own form of perfection.

There is a lesson to be learned in each growth.  Nature is a strange and mysterious teacher.  It shapes and molds things with far more insight and magic than we are capable of understanding.  Nature is like a sculptor with an internal vision to create that only it can see the genius of.  It twists, turns, and gives light to those of it's creations capable of embracing this path to beauty.  Such is life.

The gardener did not consider herself a hero for tending to the cycle of nature.  To her, this was simply the way things were.  In her mind it was no different than a housewife watering flowers in a vase.  There was no motive behind it, only the desire to see things done right, with grace.

The dark clad figure cheerfully approached a headstone, a macabre arborist approaching her subject for further inspection.  She dusted off an inscription, a window washed clean of grime to show the outside world, or perhaps it was within?

"Here lies Svetlana Lucianovich- Beloved Mother".  The dark woman beamed, behind here a young woman cried.  Stepping along her route, the dark clad gardener made space for the girl to place her flowers, and have the chance to be with her memories in a space worthy of them.