You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Death Of A Druid  (Read 494 times)

noah25

• Dark Lord
Death Of A Druid
« on: March 22, 2021, 09:56:39 PM »
[In the coming days it becomes well known fact that the Druidess known as Frido has left this world, at least, her body has. There are several variations that begin to surface regarding her triumphs and exploits, her allies and foes, and even how she died does not appear to have a consensus. The most popular theory is that she was undone by her students, a death of her own making. However, some have hypothesized a more benevolent force led to her demise and though an uncommon theory, some believe she even took her own life after losing her sanity to the mists. In truth, all of these hypotheses had some merit and none were entirely true and it is widely believed that only Xar'Tanthalar and Kymil know the entire truth. Yet, since her demise some have stumbled upon what appears to be incomplete versions of her diary, scattered throughout the mist. Much like her life and death there is little consensus as to why she would bother. Are they a cautionary tale of where the thirst for unequivocal power leads? Are they meant to inspire a true successor to her legacy? Or perhaps, it is merely an attempt to not be entirely lost to history. Regardless, it is widely agreed upon that these journals are incomplete and believed that the only complete journal lies with Xar and Kymil.]

Control: The Cure For Weakness

[The pages are not given dates as it would seem she felt no need for them. ]

“I am surrounded by worthlessness. For 15 years, I have watched my inebriated failure of a father come home day after day and scold, beat, and degrade my “mother”. Enough is enough. Today, he dies.”

[The next several pages are drenched too heavily in blood to be read]

“It was a tool of convenience but perhaps a sickle is not a bad weapon after all. After dispatching my worthless father I could not in good conscience allow my mother to live on. Her weakness has no place in this world. Frankly, her extermination is a mercy as I have prevented her from enduring the inevitable future abuse that would be inflicted upon her.”

[For several pages she explains her journey trekking through forlorn in search of a coven of druids she had heard about through stories. ]

“Who are they to call me unworthy?! The fools don’t believe a Halfling possesses the discipline and intellect to join their order. Someday they will see. I will be the greatest druidess any of them have ever seen.”

[For several pages the journal speaks of her training and her desire to outgrow her unaccepting peers. A section of the journal appears to be ripped out here. As if a hole in her history.]

“Isolde has seen the truth of the situation. Her mission is a failure and she has asked me to run away with her. There is nothing for me here, so why not, at least I won’t have to deal with their ignorance any longer.”

[The journal again, goes into details of the pair avoiding goblins and coming upon a great wilderness for a time. Again, the record seems incomplete in this section. ]

[Several days in the journal are left blank besides a mention of a heavy mist, seeming to appear from nowhere]    

“My quest for a weapon worthy of my power has finally ended. Some frightened merchant sold me a sickle today known as the Sickle of Nerull. It is fitting for me and calls to me as if it knows we are meant for each other.”

[Several pages are taken up describing Frido and Isolde’s battles and adventures]

“We came upon an odd pair of women today I believe to be a couple of sorts. They call themselves Rose and Olivia. One is a powerful druidess and the other a warrior of sorts. I foresee us becoming quick allies. Jack also seems to be fond of Rose's companion, Narine.”

[Over the next several pages it becomes apparently clear that Frido has come to consider Rose and Olivia to be her friends]

“I have been looking for Isolde for months now….  All I have found of her is her scythe. Has she abandoned me? I was a fool to trust anyone. I hope that traitor is dead.”

[The next several pages are ripped out, as if destroyed by a rabid animal]

“Olivia invited me to go hunt darklings tomorrow. I guess I will go. Frankly, it seems a bit beneath our capabilities at this point but it is what it is I suppose. “

[The pages go blank for several weeks]

“I deserve to die for my weakness. WHY would I convince myself I had friends? Olivia has betrayed me and taken the sickle in the name of her and Rose’s “GOD”. The nerruluite priest they serve didn’t seem to appreciate me lecturing him that no such god exists. What was his name? Aaron? Arune? It’s of little consequence. I would recognize his bone grafted arm anywhere and someday I will get my revenge.”

[Several more pages are ripped out and missing in regards to her capture and confinement]

“I don’t need friends. I need minions. Servants. Weaklings to do my bidding. They will be an extension of myself and with them I WILL CONTROL EVERYTHING.”

[The next several pages outline Frido tracking down Xar]

“ I need someone desperate with unlimited potential. I have been watching this elf who calls himself “Xar’tanthalar”. From now on he will be known as Xar. He is too ugly to be accepted by his own kind but I see a strength and drive within him I can use. He will be my disciple.”   

[For months the journal outlines the horrible abuses Xar suffered from Frido in exchange for power both physical and emotional in nature. Certain sessions, such as gaining immunity to disease and poison are described in more excruciating detail]

“GET UP! You are a disgusting worthless creature and I and I alone can make something of you. I will make you a God Xar but I will not tolerate your WEAKNESS!”

[There are the names of what appear to be other students, but they have been marked out with a single word. Failures]

“ I had given up on training anyone. This world is filled to the brim with weak useless creatures. Yet, this elf interests me. He is whiny and frail, yet has a rare cunning about him. I will make Kymil mine and use his abilities to reshape this world.”

[For several months Frido outlines her training with Kymil. While the level of abuse is similar in nature to Xar's, the training is quite different. She spends time explaining how shifting is an extension of herself and deepening Kymil’s understanding of Ki and how to control it. Xar also plays an important role in Kymils training with Ki and his understanding of it. A specific moment in Kymil’s training stands out]
“Kymil whined that his feet were burning. He was fortunate deadly lahar was only targeted at his feet. The burns were severe but if he is not quicker next time there will be no restraint. Boots can be replaced. If he does not improve, he will find a replacement for his feet to be more challenging. Still, if he learns some mental fortitude I might have use for him yet.”

[Several pages are used to outline Frido tracking Xar and spying on his movements]

“Xar has fallen “ in love” with some elvish harlet. She pretends to care about him but I know better. I will be the only one who truly cares for him. She will betray him and break him as everyone has tried to do to me and I will not allow it. Someday, he will thank me for what must be done.”

[For several pages it outlines Frido turning the elf into a toad and claiming to turn her into a soup, she later makes Xar ingest. She concedes later in the journal that it is entirely possible this woman is still alive somewhere and that her efforts were thwarted by some annoying paladin.]

“Xar tried to kill me today. It was a half- hearted effort to say the least. After his failure, he demanded I end his life. So disappointing. He had so much potential. I will not lose what is mine. He does not have the willpower to control his life so I must do it for him. I will take him to Rose. I will never trust her again but she mentioned that perhaps surgery could fix our problem.”

[The next several pages have been covered up leaving a single ledgible word] "Lobotomy"

“This is why I do everything MYSELF. She was a useless druid and an even worse priest. Xar barely remembers anything about himself. I will have to remold him entirely. I will leave him the bow his lover made for him in case he should regain his memory. That way he will remember I control his destiny not him.”

[The next several outline the training Kymil, Xar, and Frido did while wandering the mists. One specific exchange stands out]

“I asked Xar today why he thinks there are hags all over the core but none wandering the mists. He insisted there was one and its name was Frido and that no matter how large the mists became there would never be room for another one. An amusing notion, perhaps someday I will live my remaining life in the mists and prevent the weak and unworthy from entering MY domain. The mists are a natural camouflage for my spells. Dispel walls and stone hold would be nearly indiscoverable to the untrained eye in these conditions.”

[The next several pages outline the blood contract made between Frido and her students binding them into her service. This section appears to be left intentionally vague ending with a single bloodied paw print]

“Remo Fenberry. The definition of everything that is wrong in this world. He does not know and yet he professes affection for me. I should have killed him but I decided to torment and torture him out of mercy. Perhaps, now he has learned his lesson and will not be controlled by his weaknesses”

[The journal goes into detail about the torture Remo endured in the bottom of the temple of harvest and includes several graphic diagrams]

“Rose and Olivia are being hunted. I don’t really care if they die. They deserve it. However, they believe I have forgiven them and they could be an asset to my broader plans so I will assist them. They seem most concerned by the rogue Dante and his wife Natalie. I will make it my mission to dispose of them.”

[The journal is left empty for two years]

“So, it seems I was bested by thirteen of Dante’s closest friends. Tabitha is still a little on edge around me. Ironically, I don’t care at all about her. I am more interested in the witch Natalie who bested me after I apparently killed several of Dante’s companions. Rumor has it she has been dead for over a year. I will never stop searching for her. No one beats me and gets to live.”

[The journal is filled with largely mundane information about Frido’s adventures for several months]

“It has come to my attention that my return to the living was the combined efforts of my students Janie, Xar, and Kymil who paid Dilarya to recover me from an abandoned mine in Hazlan. As a result, since I am a woman of fairness, I will void their contracts of servitude to me. I imagine several of them will serve out of fear anyways.”

[For several days only names are listed in the journal: Snow, Dextan, Azita]

“Xar has become essentially useless to me since his lobotomy. It is time to find his replacement. Naturally, I will have him train her and then have her kill him. Death would be a mercy to him at this point. It has also come to my attention that there is a new pool of promising druids on the rise. Snow and Dextan have stuck out to me as potential candidates for my right hand.”

[Several months pass with little to report]

“Azita will surpass Xar soon which is a relief. He becomes progressively whinier and more useless by the day. Azita is driven, wise, and will be exactly what Xar should have been. Unfortunately, neither Snow or Dextan are fit to be my right hand. Snow is wise and calculated but is overly timid and lacks the drive and temperament required. Dextan, while a beast on his own, has the intellect of a bag of rocks. My search for a true right hand continues….”

[The next several days appear to have been spent tracking Azita’s movements]

“Gone. Perhaps, as proof she is wiser than Xar she has left without a trace. It seems for the time being. I will have to stick with Xar. I had a vision while walking the mists today that Xar would be the one to kill me. Ridiculous, he lacks the stomach and the power to do so. Still, I will share this information with Kymil to deter him from ever attempting to do so.”

[Several pages are filled with mention of a woman named Sylvana.]

“I have taken two new druids under my wing for study. Unfortunately, my subtle efforts to push snow into being a worthy successor have been unsuccessful. For now, my attention will lie with the druids [The names appear to be missing from the journals]”

[A page or two is spent noting what Khalia observed watching Kymils movements. For several days. It is also the first mention of what came of Frido’s previous companions.]

“Khalia is no Jack or Narine. I sent her to listen in on Kymil and Sylvana and she heard nothing. Jack died defending Kymil from a pitfiend and Narine… [several sentences are marked out here by what appears to be claws] died for reasons that were not her fault.

[Several pages are ripped out of the diary]

“NO. NO. NO. WHy MUST I DO EVERYTHING? HE CHOSE TO ABANDON HIS PURPOSE FOR SOME WOMAN? I WILL MAKE HIM SEE REASON. ONCE SHE IS REMOVED HE WILL SEE SENSE AND BEG FOR MY FORGIVENESS!”

[Several pages are spent planning to kill Sylvana in the mist. The remaining pages of the journal appear to document conversations between Frido, Isolde, Rose, and Jack in the mists. Though you are not certain, it seems unlikely these conversations occurred….]    

[Rumors state that their was a final marking Frido made at the time of her death in her journal but if this were true, it would likely only be in the original journal she was said to have died with. Some say when they walk the mists they can still hear the halfling cackle as they pass. Though, anyone who attended her funeral was certain to watch the Druidess burn to ashes, none can say for certain what happens to ones soul when their life fades for good within the mists....]

Goodbye Frido,

It was a pleasure to tell your story for the last seven years.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 08:55:07 PM by noah25 »

HopeIsTheCarrot

• Red Vardo Traders Front
  • Dark Lord
  • Discord: HopeIsTheCarrot #5147
Re: Death Of A Druid
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 06:44:30 AM »
Frido will be forever missed by both Kymil and by myself as a player. I’m sure the number of characters impacted by Frido is a long list, but I can’t even imagine Kymil as a character without Frido. Can’t wait to see what you roll up next!