Public (OOC) > Setting and Lore Discussion

Shadow Conjuration summons

<< < (2/3) > >>

HM01:

--- Quote from: JustMonika on March 18, 2021, 09:15:17 AM ---

They are however, not straightforward copies.

Shadows summoned with the Shadow Conjuration Spell are Neutral Evil - Not the standard alignment of the creature being summoned.

--- End quote ---

This is not true. I just tested this, and the shadow conjuration reflected my casters alignment. (Which I find completely appropriate).

JustMonika:

--- Quote from: HM01 on March 18, 2021, 12:33:11 PM ---
--- Quote from: JustMonika on March 18, 2021, 09:15:17 AM ---

They are however, not straightforward copies.

Shadows summoned with the Shadow Conjuration Spell are Neutral Evil - Not the standard alignment of the creature being summoned.

--- End quote ---

This is not true. I just tested this, and the shadow conjuration reflected my casters alignment. (Which I find completely appropriate).

--- End quote ---

That's interesting. Mine 100% do not in any way reflect my alignment.

HM01:
I tested it further on other casters of various alignments, they actually don't reflect your alignment. Though I never got Neutral Evil once, mechanically it could be something to do with the domain in which you are in - but not all of them are blanket evil. 

/either way, op should have his answer now.

foxtale:
Shadow Magic in D&D a very specific and defined sub-school of Illusion Magic and functions like PlatointheCave linked in his post. In lore, the summons are quasi-real, illusory copies of their real counterparts and if your character is a wizard or has an arcane education, they might know this.

In our NWN engine, they may be deviating a little bit from that for the purpose of balance and ease of programming - for example being only able to copy five selected spells, instead of any spell of 3rd circle or below. I suggest to treat this as an OoC limitation and with some suspension of disbelief.

Marcus Weyland:
Mechanically in Neverwinter Nights, creatures summoned with Shadow Conjuration are identical to their normal, non-shadowy variants. The shadow visual effect even disappears when they die, briefly. In pen-and-paper D&D, per the rulebooks, Shadow Conjuration should produce identical creatures to normal Conjuration, but with reduced health pools and reduced damage against targets who pass a Will save. The base creature's abilities and weaknesses still apply in all cases.

--- Quote from: JustMonika on March 18, 2021, 09:15:17 AM ---While I find Plato's reference a little dubious -

--- End quote ---

Plato quoted the Systems Reference Document (SRD) for D&D 3.5, which is server canon in most cases. Neverwinter Nights uses 3rd Edition mechanics, though. The 3rd Edition SRD's writeup for Shadow Conjuration is almost the same as 3.5's, but the differences are in things like the percentage reduction of damage in the case of the target passing their Will save, which we don't implement in NWN.

The Ravenloft 3.5e Player Handbook specifies that Shadow Conjuration is further altered in this setting, but again only in a few ways, which are not implemented.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version