Author Topic: Item Request Discussion Thread  (Read 207883 times)

JironGhrad

• Dark Power
  • Sir Johnus: Senior Guard PC
    • Neverwinter Connections
Item Request Discussion Thread
« on: February 26, 2007, 01:37:38 AM »
Item request thread: http://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=5772.0

Hey everyone... got an opinion on (a) requested item(s)?  Bring it here to discuss...
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 02:42:04 PM by Bluebomber4evr »
Once more into the breach!

Ripkill

• Undead Slayer
Re: Item Request Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 02:08:55 AM »
An opinion on a requested item?  Didn't know there were any items requested that would create an opinion....  Is there a list of requested items to look at so i can have an opinion and then post about it here?
"So I looked, and behold, a Pale horse.  And the name of him who sat on it was Death, and Hades followed with him.  And power was given to them over a fourth of the earth, to kill with sword, with hunger, with death, and by the beasts of the earth..."

JironGhrad

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 02:16:22 AM »
the stickied Item Request thread... up top of this forum list...

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 02:17:07 AM »
An opinion on a requested item?  Didn't know there were any items requested that would create an opinion....  Is there a list of requested items to look at so i can have an opinion and then post about it here?

I Think Jiron is being a positive member of the community by creating this thread, granted there isn't much feedback on the item thread yet, but in prevision of future feedback, he made this thread to avoid derailment on the one made for that effect so people could voice their opinions.

Here's the stickied thread made to voice your suggestions about the items: http://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=5772.0

---

Item name: Alchemical Solution of Dispulsion/Alchemical Solution of Lesser Dispulsion

Item type: Grenade-like

Description of the item: This liquid formula is created through a secret alchemical process and appears to be intended to remove the magical effects of the target area.  One has to wonder what sort of crazed alchemist would create something like this...

Statistics: Cast Spell: Dispel Magic(10): 3000 gp ea(1 use)/Cast Spell: Dispel Magic(5): 1500 gp ea(1 use)

Appearance: (same as Holy Water as grenade-likes have NO unique appearances)

I like this one, john. I think I'll search around for alchemical stuff in my books...

....I mean D&D books  :!:

:lol:

JironGhrad

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 02:21:09 AM »
Thanks, have to give partial credit to Rex though...

edit: and now I'm stickied too!  :rock: :dancing: :dancing:
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 02:59:54 PM by JironGhrad »

Ripkill

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 02:33:53 AM »
Actually, I didn't even notice the sticky until you said that.  :lol:

I like the idea of bardic instruments that add to the perform skill.  Perhaps along the lines of the rogue cloaks, with +1, +2, etc.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 05:07:24 AM by Ripkill »
"So I looked, and behold, a Pale horse.  And the name of him who sat on it was Death, and Hades followed with him.  And power was given to them over a fourth of the earth, to kill with sword, with hunger, with death, and by the beasts of the earth..."

eyeofpestilence

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 10:50:01 AM »
A wider variety of silver weapons

How come swords that requires the most skilled blacksmith to make are so much more common than the simplest (ie mace, club, morningstar)

Aran

Fully agree. Not everyone wants to carry and use a silver greatsword!  :)

Thanks DW!

Mcskinns

• Dark Lord
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 01:52:06 PM »
A wider variety of silver weapons

How come swords that requires the most skilled blacksmith to make are so much more common than the simplest (ie mace, club, morningstar)

Aran

Fully agree. Not everyone wants to carry and use a silver greatsword!  :)

Crafting of silver weapons of all sorts are just around the corner...

Sage - When stories come to life

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 02:59:17 PM »
I can't code for crap but here are some suggestions...

Perfumes and / or grooming kits... One box / bottle = 5 or 10 charges.. gives +2 Charisma for 3 hours (or if you want less cheeze) +2 to all intereaction skills. Just the thing for the next ball or the next feast that Stradh holds.
ability score bonuses are out, though it could cast eagle's splendor on use

Ring of Warmth. Resist cold /10...
Kind of high cold resist, and there are plenty of cold resist items out there as it is

Necklace of sustience... 1 charge = 1 food consumed. Emergency food always on hand...
food is pretty cheap and easy to find at the moment. If we institute a system where differernt foods have different effects this could be done.

Fell Boots. +1 Intimidate.

Pendant of persausion. 1 charge = +2 to persaude / bluff / Appraise
easy enough to do

(Weapon) of the Moon. 1 charge = +2 vs shapeshifters for 1 hour. Final charge used = destroyed item.
would require special scripting

Mask/Hat of Disguise - POWERFUL!!!! - once bought, player inputs a new name... when whereing the hat/mask the player shows under THAT name. The name is hard wired and locked into the item once aquired... can 'blank' it out by spending 5000 gold (not sure of the mechanics).
not possible. NWN won't allow players to change their name in-game. The only way this can be done is via LETO, which our admin said he won't use.

Gloves of Missile snaring - deflect/reflect arrows as per 6th level monk.
not possible to put this on an item

Pendant of the Paladin - good characters only. Can use to give resist fear and/or Smite...as per 3rd level Paladin. Greater Pendant of the Paladin is as per 6th level paladin.
can't put paladin abilities on an item either

Broach of shielding - 1 charge = shield spell.
already in the game

Amulet of Tongues - Pure RP... PC can speak/understand ANY language. The character can RP this one but this can be invaluable.
No point and could be abused. If we do end up implementing a language system this could be looked into though.

Oil of Sharpening!!!! (Or Oil of impact)!!!! - 1 charge / use makes the weapon +1,+2 etc etc (depends on the oil) We fighters Bloodly we need this. It can be expensive but it should  be out there.
Hmm...I'll see what can be done

Also - how about some narcotics? Herbs? Heck, if it can be coded - make a saving throw like being diseased (but cannot be cured), player takes damage (or cannot recover HPs from rest) if addicted until they take it again... addiction takes 2 weeks in game play for it to be out of system... If they use it again, addiction is automatic and takes 4 weeks game time to resolve.

We can have herbs/drugs that provoke rage, give Owls Wisdom or Foxes cunning etc... but these things carry the risk and price of addiction.  Now THATS a dark side that can be added to the game.
I'm not so sure I want this stuff floating about, unless it's supervised by a DM.  :?

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2007, 03:05:06 PM »
Also - how about some narcotics? Herbs? Heck, if it can be coded - make a saving throw like being diseased (but cannot be cured), player takes damage (or cannot recover HPs from rest) if addicted until they take it again... addiction takes 2 weeks in game play for it to be out of system... If they use it again, addiction is automatic and takes 4 weeks game time to resolve.

We can have herbs/drugs that provoke rage, give Owls Wisdom or Foxes cunning etc... but these things carry the risk and price of addiction.  Now THATS a dark side that can be added to the game.
I'm not so sure I want this stuff floating about, unless it's supervised by a DM.  Confused

Those are already in, some player characters have and have used drugs. There are a few available, but generally few really roleplay out the effects and long term effects of drugs. Off the top of my head, we got Hazlan Poppy Flowers, Zeifer Dust, Witchroot and Alcohols of course...but they only have roleplay effects. I don't think giving them actual effects would be beneficial.

JironGhrad

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2007, 03:08:12 PM »
Item Name: Poisonous fans
Item Type:
Description: creates the poison  only five times until the fan breaks or is useless
Statistics: 1d2 poison that inflicts ability damage or blindness/paralyzation/deafness if left untreated (dunno the name of the poisons)

Item Name: Custom fitted armor
Item Type: metal armor of any kind
Description: This armor seems to be tailored for a specific person
Statistics:+1 or +2 AC, 80% of weight and only usable by that person only by using class, race, and alignment

Item Name: Sawtooth (Slashing blade name)
Item Type: slashing blade
Description: saw-like metal teeth replace the blade of the sword
Statistics: on hit wounding DC: 10

Item Name: minor/light/moderate/serious/critical healing amulet
Item Type: amulet
Description: This amulet has a symbol of (a holy healing god) on the front and worn off writing on the back
Statistics: minor: 30 or 20 charges, light: 20 or 30 charges, moderate: 20 charges, serious: 10 charges, Critical: 5 charges

Item Name: wooden weapon
Item Type: weapon of every type mostly swords
Description: on the hilt it says "Link" but somehow you seriously doubt it is a name
Statistics: no damage

As I posted before, several of these already exist... and I like the amulet.  Poison fans are not something that just anyone can get.  Wooden weapons already exist though not 100% of the weapons are represented.  Wounding is extra powerful and really is too overpowered for loot-drop.  Getting your armor fitted can be done through a DM quest (especially since reducing the weight of an existing set takes work and coin)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 03:11:35 PM by JironGhrad »

Strife

• Player, Fan
  • Dark Lord
  • Everybody's a Prisoner
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2007, 03:08:56 PM »
 Just a quick thought before I throw up any ideas, this discussion open to cursed items as well?  :twisted:

DM Strife

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2007, 03:12:42 PM »
Depending on the nature of the curses, roleplayed out curses can be implemented, but those items would likely not find their place in the loot tables. Things like +3 vs Fear, -5 Fortitude could have descriptions hinting at curses however (Why is there -5 fortitude? Perhaps you are turned into a weakling, etc).

The Ring of Mouth is a good example of a cursed item:
+5 Bluff
-2 Wisdom

The wearer becomes more mouthy, foolish. He speaks when he shouldn't, can get him in trouble, etc.

Crule

• Undead Master
  • Pain in the Ass
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2007, 04:41:37 PM »
Blue:

In the original requesting thread, you asked that we do not submit items that were uses/day but rather they were "charges" .

I was thinking of designing / suggesting a fleet of various clerical/religious/holy items ... and most of the effects would similar to the "bless", "prayer", "aid" type of low level spells.      These items would be used to enhance the roleplay of prayer life, and would have an x/day type usage.

Also, what about items that generate an effect but don't do anything else?

My character uses a censer from time to time, and it would be nice to have it create a smoke or mist effect when 'used'.   Now, perhaps it could be coupled more with a "charge" system similar to spell components - so that when one "used" the censer, it would deplete a charge of "incense and charcoal" ...  or is that just too big of a pain in the ass to script?

Doom

• Pain? Pain is like love . . . like compassion! It is a thing only for lesser men.
  • Dark Power
  • What is pain to Doom?
    • Last Stand Legacy Beta
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2007, 04:53:00 PM »
Item Name: Selune's Moonblade
Item Type: Longsword or whatever it really is supposed to be
Description: This blue blade has a inner soft blue light to it, its edge seems it couldn't cut butter. When struck against a target unseen energy seems hurt the target. When the blade hits a undead or a werecreature, the energy can be seen
Statistics: no damage, -5 attack, 1d4 magical or divine damage, 1d4 extra divine or magical damage against lycan and undead, low light blue, artifact level item or Almia's level

I would so love to have this... Maybe as a personal quest item~cough~ Awesome idea.'

Doom, who plays the -only- Selunite  :twisted:

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2007, 04:54:13 PM »
The problem with "use/day" items in NWN is that it isn't really limited to uses per day, but rather uses in between rests, which you get 3 per day on PotM. So an item that is "use: 1/day" is really getting 3[/u] uses per day on this server.

Short of giving you only one rest per day, the easier solution is to just use charges instead. We'll probably introduce some method to restore charges on an item as well.

JironGhrad

• Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2007, 04:56:01 PM »
Wyvern Crown of Cormyr introduces charging items... not sure how they scripted it... but there's a good chance that it may be made public with 1.69

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2007, 04:56:44 PM »
We'll probably introduce some method to restore charges on an item as well.

I would love to see that because im afraid to use charges from my equipables, in case i lose them like i lose the ring of wolf summoning

Stela Cojocaru - barovian snake
Crina Ovidiu - barovian guard

Crule

• Undead Master
  • Pain in the Ass
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2007, 05:01:14 PM »
How about the other items, Blue?

Items that just "make the spell effect" but do not make the spell - similiar to your DMFI materials that make visual and audio effects?

DarkWyvern

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2007, 05:02:22 PM »
There are I think items in game. Old ones that allow for other magic items to be eaten to recharge a different magic item.

Magic Electrifier in standard/tutorial

JironGhrad

• Dark Power
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2007, 05:02:37 PM »
to avoid losing items you just make it so the charges cannot be completely exhausted... an item with 50 charges and 3 per use can't ever run completely empty, even if it no longer is charged enough to work it's enchantment

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2007, 05:07:57 PM »
Wyvern Crown of Cormyr introduces charging items... not sure how they scripted it... but there's a good chance that it may be made public with 1.69
it's older than that. SoU had a method of doing that as well.  ;)

Crule - that would probably require custom scripts. Not impossible to do, but for now we'd like to stick to things that could be made without some sort of special "OnUse" script. We make look into those at a later date, though.

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2007, 05:08:19 PM »
Quote from: Bluebomber4evr
Short of giving you only one rest per day, the easier solution is to just use charges instead. We'll probably introduce some method to restore charges on an item as well.

Yes. Idealy what would be great is have certain of these items rechargeable by "Mage" via certain facilities to that effect, or similar coupled with the components idea.

Crule

• Undead Master
  • Pain in the Ass
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2007, 05:10:35 PM »
Crule - that would probably require custom scripts. Not impossible to do, but for now we'd like to stick to things that could be made without some sort of special "OnUse" script. We make look into those at a later date, though.

Ok thanks... I'll try to come up with some various items then that won't have to be "custom" ...

DarkWyvern

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2007, 05:14:47 PM »
it's older than that. SoU had a method of doing that as well.  ;)

Ahem

Quote from: DarkWyvern
There are I think items in game. Old ones that allow for other magic items to be eaten to recharge a different magic item.

Magic Electrifier in standard/tutorial

:lol: :pbbbtt: :roflmao: