Author Topic: Including Slings in Weapon Proficiency (Wizard)  (Read 636 times)

Coronenko

• Outlander
  • FML
Including Slings in Weapon Proficiency (Wizard)
« on: February 21, 2021, 01:45:04 PM »
I'm playing a halfling wizard at the moment, and that made me realize that wizards are the ONLY class that cannot use a sling without expending a feat, but they can still use a crossbow (!?)

One may argue that using a sling in a efficient manner might not be easy, but neither is a crossbow. I mean, slings are one of the most primitive and simplest ranged weapons, and it's kinda weird to not be able to use one as a wizard (specially a halfling wizard, every halfling should have a sling, is almost like hin-law)

mccarthy00

• Undead Master
Re: Including Slings in Weapon Proficiency (Wizard)
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 01:54:54 PM »
a sling is a little harder to use than a crossbow in Combat, but i agree that it would not take much time for a wizard to learn to use it.

Myrza

• Dark Lord
  • Under the Crimson Sun...
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2021, 02:08:27 PM »
a sling is a little harder to use than a crossbow in Combat, but i agree that it would not take much time for a wizard to learn to use it.
Especially a halfling wizard

Coronenko

• Outlander
  • FML
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2021, 02:11:53 PM »
A halfling that can't use a sling is a dishonor to the kin, I don't want to stain my kin in shame [sobs]

CorruptiveAries

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 12:59:59 PM »
I do agree with this. Sorcerers in 3.5 (Per the Player's Handbook) are proficient with all Simple Weapons, which a sling is part of that - As they do not have to spend their time studying as long as a Wizard does so they can use a little bit more in regards to weaponry.

Wizards I know in 3.5 are not though in 2e Wizards could use Darts and Slings and even throwing daggers so that they had some form of ranged weaponry. My guess is they assumed Crossbow would be better in 3rd since they do more damage but it wouldn't be unreasonable for them to use those I think.

And for a Halfling especially that is their trademark weapon, makes sense they would have that already.
CST-Based Player

Active Characters: Enryn Lewe
Infrequent Characters: Hasani Fezim, Phades Atclin
Shelved Characters: Too many to list.

snaer

• New to the Mists
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2021, 10:08:57 PM »
halfling should forsure get use of slings and i can see wizards getting it would be fine they are a simple thing to learn to you

Haven Dee'pockets

• New to the Mists
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2021, 10:12:01 PM »
As a Halfling main. It makes no sense why Halflings don't get to use slings as a racial weapon, like heck Elves get bows! What makes pointy ears so special compared to the little ones! But Haven Digresses!

I believe it would be easier to add it as a Wizard weapon as they are the only ones who cannot use a sling. They can still use a Crossbow, which does more damage anyways. Slings would soley be as a RP weapon. I can use a bow on a bard but I choose to use a sling because its Halfling.

IHO (In Haven's Opinion) if a Wizard has the intelligent to crank a crossbow, load a bolt... They can throw a stone.

#FreeTheSling
Haven Deepockets - Halfling Entrepreneur
Rhil'annon Melarn - Dark Minstrel

The Splendiferous Haven
Tasha's Crippling Anxiety
Gedlee's Electric Boogaloo

GentleShade

• New to the Mists
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2021, 03:40:26 AM »
I am more for the idea that halflings would be able to use slings, all of them.