Author Topic: Hak Update 2_25 - First impressions  (Read 6137 times)

Chabxxu

Hak Update 2_25 - First impressions
« on: February 05, 2021, 12:21:58 PM »
I went to test some of the new fighter feats on the server to get a hang of them. Here are what I came up with:

First character: A lvl 20 fighter, using a bastard sword and a shield. This AB doesn't take into account the combat strike feat since it doesn't seem to work at the moment, and the character also doesn't have an enchanted weapon.

That's simply with the charisma feat that were changed today. When considering combat strike + enchanted weapon, it adds 8 AB to the mix, for 44 AB, unbuffed. Without counting all the other bonuses from the combat stance.

Second character: A lvl 20 fighter using two shortswords as weapon. The same points as the above picture should be taken into account.

In comparaison, here is the unbuffed AB of a lvl 20 Barbarian when in his rage:

And a lvl 20 character with a 13 fighter/7 weaponmaster spread:

For the last screenshot, the combat focus was activity. I'm not sure why it was working there and not when using it on the full fighter builds.

Finally, he's a little preview of what a lvl 20 fighter + lvl 20 Voodoo can do. Combat stance wasn't activate and we both had no gear.

Overall I think those new fighter feats are overwhelmingly powerful and will push all other melee classes to the background.

Lexica

• Red Vardo Traders Front
  • Dark Lord
Re: Hak Update 2_25 - First impressions
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2021, 12:35:41 PM »
While fighters with the new feats are certainly strong, I think it's important to look at them in the context of what already exists for martial characters. If we're talking about buffed statlines, what you posted is already in line with what's possible.

An example of a high level cleric based martial multiclass, posted with permission of the person whose character it is.

There's an argument to be made that cleric buffs are time limited, but so are the combat focus feats. More so even, considering the one minute cooldown between activations. When clerics and elemental shapes druids exist, I can only support pure martials getting buffs like this, and would personally like to see other martials getting similar buffs rather than these being toned down too much.
Michelle Anciaux

pumpikin

• The Underworld
  • New to the Mists
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2021, 12:46:16 PM »
My concern is that many of the feats completely negate the need for many of the Arcane Spells. There are feats that replace the need for Stoneskin, replace the need for Haste even. Admittedly, I don't know how these will interact with each other, whether you can have multiple up simultaneously or not, for example, but the ability to get many of the Low-to-Mid level Spells without needing to rely upon mages risks pushing away from the need to build a balanced party (or stock up on potions) before venturing out into the Darkness. My understanding was that the present set of goals was to encourage the need to build a coherent and diverse party. I worry that this will undermine that.

Maffa

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2021, 01:12:02 PM »
While fighters with the new feats are certainly strong, I think it's important to look at them in the context of what already exists for martial characters. If we're talking about buffed statlines, what you posted is already in line with what's possible.

An example of a high level cleric based martial multiclass, posted with permission of the person whose character it is.

There's an argument to be made that cleric buffs are time limited, but so are the combat focus feats. More so even, considering the one minute cooldown between activations. When clerics and elemental shapes druids exist, I can only support pure martials getting buffs like this, and would personally like to see other martials getting similar buffs rather than these being toned down too much.

exactly. all in all, i would like to see warriors being able to have the same freedom that other classes enjoy. As of now, my perception is that if a warrior doesn't have an arcanist on their side all they can do is to stay put somewhere, while.. well... any other classes (except barbs and maybe paladins to an extent?) are more free to... uh... "do stuff"?
And on the other hand, it would also free arcanists and priests to be something more than buff dispensers
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 01:15:45 PM by Maffa »

Character List:

Marph - Closured
Marius Rucescu - Closured
Romeo Lascaris - Closured

Khornite

• Grognard
  • Undead Master
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2021, 01:25:41 PM »
My concern is that many of the feats completely negate the need for many of the Arcane Spells. There are feats that replace the need for Stoneskin, replace the need for Haste even. Admittedly, I don't know how these will interact with each other, whether you can have multiple up simultaneously or not, for example, but the ability to get many of the Low-to-Mid level Spells without needing to rely upon mages risks pushing away from the need to build a balanced party (or stock up on potions) before venturing out into the Darkness. My understanding was that the present set of goals was to encourage the need to build a coherent and diverse party. I worry that this will undermine that.

I see this concern almost in every balance thread and nothing has ever changed. These changes to fighter are short lived buffs. Just because a fighter gets a minute (or two) worth of buffs per encounter doesn't mean they're not going to want the wizard there to back them up once that minute expires. Keep in mind that these buffs are also limited to a number of times per day. Once those buffs are gone, the mage is still just as useful as they've ever been. This is even more true in late game where having a balanced party is a necessity. The only thing restricting the number of mages in a party is the number of mages on the server.

And this buff to fighters also benefits mages as well. Now since fighters might need less buffs, a wizard has more freedom to bring other spells instead of just being a buff bot that follows a party around.
"No, you." -Captain America

CorruptiveAries

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2021, 01:40:10 PM »
The feats and options for fighters definitely can make them overpowered especially with the right items and builds they'd be practically untouchable especially if these stack with buffs. I understand it would make them less reliant on buffs but as was said, the need for building a party gets diminished.

The other factor is that while mages would have more flexibility in that they can prepare more offensive spells, some spells have been toned down reducing the offensive capability because unfortunately at higher levels there are specific spells you need to rely on to have any hope of damaging enemies due to either immunities or resistances they have. Which in my opinion, the mages shouldn't be penalized for it by having the spells nerfed. If specific spells are always being used in dungeons, perhaps examining the dungeon or monsters themselves, or diversifying it so other spells can actually work and do damage would allow for more spell options being used rather than the same ones over and over.
CST-Based Player

Active Characters: Enryn Lewe
Infrequent Characters: Hasani Fezim, Phades Atclin
Shelved Characters: Too many to list.

Ophie Kitty

• Inactive - Quit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2021, 02:39:24 PM »
I think the biggest power spike in my own tests with the feats is the huge flat AB bonus and stacking of combat strike, and the charisma feats. These feats essentially offer a total off  +11 attainable, or +13 attack bonus as a fighter-exclusive buff, which is a huge advantage in comparison to the other warrior classes, especially since the exclusivity of the bonuses.

The biggest power of the feats is the distinct AB gap between fighters and non-fighters; considering they already have access to greater weapon focus and such too. I looked at the Combat Strike feat source material and the bonus damage/attack for that skill is only suppose to be for one round and at the expense of ending your combat focus early. I think the following suggestions as tweaks to nerf the powerful feats slightly to lessen the huge gap that fighters would have over other classes, while still retaining the uniqueness of the feats and potential of the feats.

Combat Strike: +1 AB; +1 Damage / Feat, +4 Cap
Combat Vigor: +2 Regen; +1 Regen / Two Feats, +5 Cap.

Inspiring Courage: +1 AB; +1 Damage; +1 Damage/5 Levels, +4 Cap.
Rallying Cry: +1 AB & 20% Speed, +2 at 15th

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2021, 03:10:39 PM »
Open these feats up for monks.
: )

pumpikin

• The Underworld
  • New to the Mists
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2021, 03:22:20 PM »
I am also concerned that, with the Nerfs to the Arcane Damage spells, and these Feats, any Arcane vs fighter combat will ultimately result in the Fighter winning, being immune to 80% of the high end spells and already having the Existing Balance Techniques (like KD) to deal with them.

BlackEmperor

• Undead Slayer
  • !God Speed
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2021, 06:05:48 PM »

My painfully low AB agrees with Baha

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2021, 06:35:40 PM »

God, no.  Monks need to have weaknesses.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Mayvind

• Red Academy
  • Dark Lord
  • I won't Bite
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2021, 07:22:39 PM »

Is this on Test server or normal server because i want thaaaaat.....

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2021, 08:00:49 PM »
And coming from the Mayvind that's saying something!
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

Khornite

• Grognard
  • Undead Master
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2021, 09:21:36 PM »

Is this on Test server or normal server because i want thaaaaat.....

That's from the normal server without any of the new content.
"No, you." -Captain America

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
  • "Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2021, 09:25:10 PM »
These are short-lived, encounter-only buffs. They aren't very applicable to dungeons unless you've gone pure Fighter, in which case you end with ten uses of it, which may or may not suit a dungeon. More importantly, this provides a much needed PvP advantage to Fighters to offset their lack of skills, lack of detection, lack of stealth, and lack of flexibility. The most optimal fighter here is unable to ninja loot, unable to hide, unable to gank, and unable to enjoy many of the buffs of other classes.

This is honestly a step in the right direction. I kind of predicted that everyone would overreact to these buffs, just as they did Voodan. But this gives Fighters the much-needed ability to offset PvP potential of Rogues and other classes that are simply far, far too prominent due to their skill flexibility.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2021, 09:35:58 PM »
While I largely think these feats are OK, I think Combat Strike should be gated behind Fighter 16.

Type of Feat: Combat Form
Prerequisite: Combat Focus, Intelligence 13, Fighter 13.
Specifics: While maintaining his combat focus, the character is better able to exploit his enemies' weaknesses, landing more precise and deadly blows. He gains a +1 bonus to attack for each Combat Form feat he has up to a maximum of +5. If he has three or more Combat Form feats, this bonus also applies to damage.
Use: Automatic.

+5 AB for a Rogue 5/Fighter 15 to Rogue 7/Fighter 13 who will have access to stealth seems potentially too pro-ganky.  I'd lock it behind Fighter 16 to ensure only pure Fighters can do it.

Combat Vigor in turn could be lowered to Fighter 13.  At max feats, if I'm reading it correctly, it's 5 regen for 18 rounds.  That's 90 healing at max efficiency.  That's still less than a well-buffed Paladin's Lay on Hands.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 09:39:42 PM by aprogressivist »
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
  • "Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2021, 10:22:16 PM »
While I largely think these feats are OK, I think Combat Strike should be gated behind Fighter 16.

Type of Feat: Combat Form
Specifics: While maintaining his combat focus, the character is better able to exploit his enemies' weaknesses, landing more precise and deadly blows. He gains a +1 bonus to attack for each Combat Form feat he has up to a maximum of +5. If he has three or more Combat Form feats, this bonus also applies to damage.
Use: Automatic.

+5 AB for a Rogue 5/Fighter 15 to Rogue 7/Fighter 13 who will have access to stealth seems potentially too pro-ganky.  I'd lock it behind Fighter 16 to ensure only pure Fighters can do it.

Combat Vigor in turn could be lowered to Fighter 13.  At max feats, if I'm reading it correctly, it's 5 regen for 18 rounds.  That's 90 healing at max efficiency.  That's still less than a well-buffed Paladin's Lay on Hands.

Keep in mind that Regen triggers more than once per round, I believe it triggers 2-3 times per round. At the very least, it's always seemed that way; Paladins with Regen magic for instance, regen goes off about every 2 seconds at Cha modifier it felt, when I played Joachim. Making it vastly superior, but slow-acting. So it's closer to 180-270, assuming I'm correct. Whilst still not out of the realm of possibility, given the abilities of Paladins -- Who enjoy far more healing advanage than this, it's certainly choice for a duel.

Chabxxu

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2021, 10:31:17 PM »
If everyone thinks this is fine, please leave it as it is. It will be very fun to make a fighter and level it up to those levels where he will become unstoppable :)

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2021, 10:34:40 PM »
Keep in mind that Regen triggers more than once per round, I believe it triggers 2-3 times per round.

Nah.  It's once per round.

Edit: I was wrong about how many times Combat Vigor itself activates, however.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 11:58:49 PM by aprogressivist »

Serina Rhea

• Outlander
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2021, 11:10:28 PM »
So I just wanted to write a quick response without going into too much detail... and honestly I still feel like I didn't go into the details of the specifics of the whole thing, but it still gotten a bit out of hand >-<"
Either way, there is a simpler summery at the end if specifics aren't really your thing >-<
Was written in a rush, so please excuse any mirror errors, thank you

Firstly all of the combat form feats in source have a 13 wisdom requirement. This is thematically appropriate since like a monk's honed martial prowess, this is not something all fighters and sell sword or pillaging mercenary achieves but those who put in the time and training to hone their martial skills to a keen focus.
Mechanically speaking this also encourages non-minmaxed fighters. The 13 wisdom requirement is not very costly for your minmaxed fighter, just change your 18 str to 16, and you have a point spare after bringing them up from 8 wisdom.

Contrary to popular belief, a well built fighter even now is not terribly weak, if you asked them if they could use more feats, they would probably still say yes. There is actually a lot of good uses for fighter feats even now, so I see combat focus fighter being a variant option for fighter that requires a more balanced stat spread instead of just going entirely min-maxed and building into a general feats fighter (which would still be a viable option against a fighter that has to invest into wisdom and throw a ton of feats at forms).
For the same reason I think the influence requirements on the charisma feats should be brought back, they are great feats, one effectively adds +1 ab + dmg long enough to go from rest to rest, the other one adds up to 4 ab for three crucial fights in a rest (which is more than enough). 6-8 skill points isn't a big ask, if it is, consider 16 int? I don't think a fighter with /all/ of these at once on top of a 18 str starting point is very balanced, not even against cleric/druid/voodan (and lets be honest, these should not be used as a benchmark for anything >-<', though I will add that at least their strength comes with RP obligations and restrictions)

Secondly these combat focuses last plenty of time, 9 rounds + 1 per combat feat, effectively as long as 17 rounds, basically 2 turns. That's longer than most barbarian rages and is more than enough to last any fight, if it's not for some grand boss fight, disengaging for a min isn't the hardest thing to do, and 7-10 uses per rest is plenty. What I mean though is, fighter will have these buffs effectively at all times, more so than clerics will have their full selection of limited time wards on.

Onto more specific things >-<

- - Feat by Feat - -

So firstly, lets not be confused or worry about the whole "If he has five or more / If he has three or more Combat Form feats" thing, if someone is taking combat feats, they are taking that many, so for the sake of balance discussion we should just view those parts of the feats as included by default.

Combat Speed :
Prerequisite: Combat Focus, Dexterity 13, Fighter 16.
Specifics: While maintaining his combat focus, the character moves around faster in battle. He gains a 10% movement speed increase for each Combat Form feat he has up to a maximum of 50%. If he has five or more Combat Form feats, he also gains an extra attack per round
"Dexterity 13"?, "Fighter 16"? A buff for pure fighters only? and it has a nice extra 13 dex requirement? I support this one so much, assuming that extra attack per round does /not/ stack with haste? If it does... this is still a bit much... but possibly still fine because it's pure fighter only? I like most of the rest of it, but maybe just make it the haste effect rather than an additional attack that stacks... because 1 full bab attack is a lot...

Combat Hardiness :
Prerequisite: Combat Focus, Constitution 13, Fighter 13.
Specifics: While maintaining his combat focus, the character's body toughens, allowing him to absorb more blows. He gains damage reduction 2/+3 for each Combat Form feat he has up to a maximum of 10/+3. If he has three or more Combat Form feats, the damage reduction granted by each Combat Form feat improves to 2/+4.
13 fighter for basically perma stoneskin? seems fine honestly? It sounds more useful than it is, stoneskin potions can be prepared without too much trouble, in the long run this is one I could even consider reasonable to leave out of a build, which is a good sign for feat balance when you could consider something non-essential I think? I support.

Combat Absorption :
Prerequisite: Combat Focus, Constitution 12, Resist Energy (Any), Fighter 8.
Specifics: While maintaining his combat focus, the character becomes better at resisting the elements. He gains damage resistance 2/- versus acid, cold, electricity, fire, and sonic for each Combat Form feat he has up to a maximum of 10/-. If he has five or more Combat Form feats, he gains 50% immunity versus these elements.
I don't think this feat has any business existing... there is no reason for it to do so. Why should fighters all just suddenly at level 8 become essentially immune to almost all elemental damage? Immunity is applied before resist / reduction. So, this means a fighter with electrum bracers, or any of the resist amulets (fire/cold/electic/acid) or other 10 resist items like a Firebath Cloak can take 0 dmg from a 40 dmg elemental attack, before it goes to their reduction.
40 cold dmg / 2  = 20 - 10 from this feat - 10 from items = 0
Now, lets not forget that without any of this everyone else is already managing using things like energy buffer from druid/mages, this would just remove the need for that.
As an example of how strong this is, remember Malthor's Epic Spell: Hellball ? Well this feat makes it do 0 dmg on average.
The Resist Energy feats are great uses of a feat, they are balanced and not underwhelming by any means, this is some kind of super feat that makes them seem pointless.

Combat Vigor :
Prerequisite: Combat Focus, Toughness, Constitution 13, Fighter 16.
Specifics: While maintaining his combat focus, the character's clarity of purpose and relentless drive allow him to overcome his body's frailties. Minor wounds heal in a matter of seconds, and he quickly recovers from even a grievous blow. He regenerates 1 hit point per round for each Combat Form feat he has up to a maximum of 5. If he has five or more Combat Form feats, he also gains Damage Reduction 3/-.
This one is 25% stronger than the source book, /but/ it requires fighter 16, i.e. pure fighter on PotM, so I think the buff is fine to be honest. I think the is an insanely powerful feat, but also that there should be some rewards for commiting to pure fighter. I support.
As for the Damage Reduction 3/-, that's kind of trivial later on with Admantine armors anyway, so if this means a buff to fighters until they get that, then sure.
Both the Fighter 16 feats are great.

Then we have these, which were already very very strong in their sourcebook versions, are just stronger still in these PotM implementations?
Examples being :

Combat Stability:
Prerequisite: WIS 13, base attack bonus +3,
Specifics: You gain a +4 bonus on checks or rolls to resist bull rush, disarm, grapple, overrun, and trip attempts made against you. If you have three or more combat form feats, the bonus granted by this feat increases to +8.
vs
Combat Stability:
Prerequisite: Combat Focus, Strength 12, Fighter 6.
Specifics: When maintaining his combat focus, the character becomes difficult to dislodge. His muscles lock into an unyielding position, granting him superior ability to resist attempts at disarming him or knocking him off his feet. He gains a +2 bonus to Discipline for each Combat Form feat he has up to a maximum of +10. If he has three or more Combat Form feats, he gains the benefits of Back to the Wall.
The first one was an amazing feat already, I don't see why it should be turned into something much stronger? Back to the Wall is a great feat if you can spare a feat for it, it shouldn't come as a free feat on top of an already amazing feat. There are skill focuses for +3, people take these earnestly already, including for discipline.

Combat Strike :
Prerequisite: WIS 13, any two other combat form feats, base attack bonus +15
Specifics: If you choose to end your combat focus as a swift action, you gain a bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls equal to your total number of combat form feats for the rest of your current turn. You immediately lose all BENEFITS: of combat form feats that affect you only while you are maintaining your combat focus.
vs
Combat Strike :
The first one gives up /all/ other combat focus powers for less than 1 turn of +1 ab/dmg per combat form feat (which, it should be noted, when it was implemented also only numbered a total of 5 forms, not the 8 we are seeing on PotM, which I guess is probably the reason for the very reasonable +5 cap)
In the PotM version... well.... it's basically all of the main reason for people picking the Barbarian class into this one feat? 5 ab / dmg ? sure, you get hp and other things in other parts of Barbarian's rage, but that's not the best counter point when you look at all the rest that fighter has. On top of that, I would like to note, that it's rare that someone hits the +20 ab from spells cap, but it's very easy to hit the +12 str cap, so Barbs rarely make use of most of their rage's ab bonus when warded, this bonus to fighter will work a lot better with warders than the barb class in general does.

Combat Defense :
Prerequisite: Dodge (PH) , DEX 13, WIS 13, base attack bonus +6
Specifics: While you maintain your combat focus, you can change the target of your Dodge feat to a new opponent as an immediate action. If you have three or more combat form feats, you gain an additional +1 dodge bonus to AC against the target of your Dodge feat.
vs
Prerequisite: Combat Focus, Dodge, Dexterity 12, Fighter 9.
Specifics: While maintaining his combat focus, the character become better at dodging blows. He gains a +1 dodge bonus to AC for every two Combat Form feats he has up to a maximum of +5. If he has three or more Combat Form feats, he gains the benefits of Uncanny Dodge I.
This one is just... another case that's just a bit much... the original is +1 ac vs one attacker basically... this is... 5 ac.... and on top of that getting Uncanny Dodge I? (The character retains his dexterity bonus to AC, even if caught flat-footed or attacked by a hidden or invisible creature.). I... don't see why this is needed...? Fighter doesn't have an ac problem. Not any more than anyone else? They can be warded just like everyone else, an enchanted fighter even only ends up with about +5 ac from mage wards anyway, so this is giving those fighters all the ac they would get warded, on top of having it be able to stack with those wards as well? Dragonic Discipline takes 10 levels of a 3/4 bab class to get to +4 ac, this is just adding +5 to fighter on top of the Uncanny Dodge of rogue / barb.

Combat Focus :
Required For : Combat Awareness (PH2) , Combat Defense (PH2) , Combat Stability (PH2) , Combat Strike (PH2) , Combat Vigor (PH2)
Prerequisite: WIS 13,
Specifics: In battle, you push aside the chaos of the fight and attain a focused state that grants you a keen, clear picture of the battle. Fear and pain ebb away as you focus solely on defeating your enemy. The first time you make a successful attack during an encounter, you gain your combat focus. In this state, your mind and body become one, allowing you to overcome mundane physical limits. You can maintain your combat focus for 10 rounds after entering it, +1 additional round per combat form feat you possess aside from this one. You can only gain your combat focus once per encounter. While you are maintaining your combat focus, you gain a +2 bonus on Will saves. If you have three or more combat form feats, this bonus increases to +4.
vs
Combat Focus :
Prerequisite: Fighter 6.
Required For: Combat Absorption, Combat Awareness, Combat Defense, Combat Hardiness, Combat Speed, Combat Stability, Combat Strike, Combat Vigor
Specifics: In battle, the character pushes aside the chaos of the fight and attains a focused state that grants him a keen, clear picture of the battle. Fear and pain ebb away as he focuses solely on defeating his enemy. The first time he attacks a creature, he gains his combat focus, his mind and body becoming one, allowing him to overcome mundane physical limits. He maintains his focus for 9 rounds + 1 per Combat Form feat he has after entering it. He can only gain his combat focus once per encounter. While maintaining his combat focus, he gains a +1 bonus on Will saves for each Combat Form feat he has up to a maximum of +5. If he has three or more Combat Form feats, this bonus applies to all saving throws.
Again... I don't see why the massive upgrade from 4 will save (which is already a /very/ good use of a feat) into +5 Will save, +5 Reflex save , + 5 Fortitude save...
I just don't see why this is needed...? Fighter is not struggling for saves any more than anyone else, maybe will saves, but items + feats more than solve this, adding the +4 will is nice on top of that sure, but 5 to /all/ saves? That's like just making them immune to anything with a save if you add it on top of everything else.

- - - - Summery - - - -

Though just for the sake of it, here is the summary of what a fighter is working with after investing 8 feats of their insanely large feat pool.

From these 8 Combat Form Feats you get while in combat :
(Note, where it's marked *, it is dependent on fighter level)
Spoiler: show

- 10/- resistance to acid, cold, electricity, fire, and sonic

- 50% immunity to acid, cold, electricity, fire, and sonic (which, even if it doesn't stack with the 10/- resist above will stack with items, giving effective immunity to many many things)

- +10 parry

- True Seeing spell for +10* spot/search and see invis / ethereal

- +5 to all saves

- 10/+4 damage reduction

- +5 ab

- +5 damage

- +10 discipline

- +2 ab and ac  when below 25% hp (Back to the Wall)

-  +4 ac

- Retains dexterity bonus to AC, even if caught flat-footed or attacked by a hidden or invisible creature (Uncanny dodge)

As a pure fighter they also get :

- +1 ac more (from the 16 feats adding to Combat Defense)

- +50% movement speed

- One full bab free attack per round

- 5 hp per round healing

- 3/- damage reduction

What I would propose  :
(Note, where it's marked *, it is dependent on fighter level)
Spoiler: show

- 5/- resistance to acid, cold, electricity, fire, and sonic

- +10 parry

- True Seeing spell for +10* spot/search and see invis / ethereal

- +5 to Will Saves

- 10/+4 damage reduction

- +2 ab (remember this is still on top of +1 fighter ab from Greater Weapon Focus, and the potential of as much as 5 ab more from charisma fighter feats for just 12 charisma)

- +2 damage (remember this is still fighter with +4 from Normal/Greater Weapon Specialization)

- +8 discipline

-  +2 ac (change Combat Defense to +1 ac per 3 feats)

- Retains dexterity bonus to AC, even if caught flat-footed or attacked by a hidden or invisible creature (Uncanny dodge)

As a pure fighter they also get :

- +1 ac more (from the 16 feats adding to Combat Defense)

- +50% movement speed

- One full bab free attack per round

- 5 hp per round healing

- 3/- damage reduction

- - - - Conclusion - - - -

In conclusion I feel like this might be a bit of an over correction... too many steps in the right direction. Just because it's the default martial class fighter is found in a lot of chars who are build terribly, equipped terribly, woefully under supplied and under-prepared and not played so very well, this only exaggerates how people see the gap between fighter and other classes. They could certainly use a buff, I wouldn't say otherwise, but this is more than a bit much.

Suggestion :
Tone some of them down to be in line with their source book version, add back the wisdom 13 requirement (so that a combat focus fighter is an optional build variant, just like the commander fighter with charisma is, not a given. And you could give fighters the chance to remake if they really want to) and please remove Combat Absorption, or at least remove the immunity entirely (not tone it down, just... it's not needed and it's a dangerous stat for anyone to have, it also stacks with other immunity items).
If combat strike can't be changed to sacrificing your Combat Focus because of technical reasons, I think the suggestion of moving that behind fighter 16 by aprogressivist is probably a good idea.

With these changes I think it's still a strong buff to fighter as a class in general, and a massive buff to pure fighters, with the 13 wisdom cost added in, I think it's a fair buff as well and one that can be forgone if someone chooses to go a simpler str / charisma figher, while still leaving fighters that go all into str and dumb wisdom viable using the feats for other things.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 11:22:47 PM by Serina Rhea »

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2021, 11:23:33 PM »
Why play a paladin when you can play a LG fighter now, aside from the fun of stricter roleplay?

The Combat Strike is too much, it needs to be a buff that only activates for 6-18 seconds and ends the combat focus prematurely. Its a stronger version of Divine Favor which caps out at +3 on this server.

I'm fine with every other feat but a greater than divine favor simulator should req wisdom and cap at the same spot, or last for shorter.

If anyone has played Final Fantasy VIII, Combat Strike as it is right now is like casting Aura on your main character and spamming the O button until your Limit Break provokes and entering right into it deliberately and perpetually, instead of Limit Break being that last burst of strength when the chips are down and your hitpoints are low like it otherwise would be.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 11:31:46 PM by zDark Shadowz »

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2021, 11:49:43 PM »
Oops, I misread...

+5 to all saves, 10/- against all elements, +5 Dodge AC, 10/+4, +5 AB, 60+ Regeneration and 3/-

All that, 10 times per day at level 20, for 9+ rounds, and automatically activated when you hit something?

10 times per day lasting for 18 rounds is going to outlast the Paladin's Divine Might/Strength by a considerable margin, and that makes Combat Vigor potentially regenerate from 600 to 900 HP's worth of damage.

This is too much, by about a factor of 2 or 3 IMO.  Reducing the number of times to use per day to Fighter levels/4 or 5 would still make this devastatingly strong in short bursts.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 11:56:32 PM by aprogressivist »

Revenant

• Noot Noot
  • Dark Lord
  • Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2021, 11:59:11 PM »
The design of the feats suggests that the designer or the team wants fighters to be the undisputed best at hitting things and being in combat.

If that's the goal, this achieves that. It allows a fighter to outpace buffers, although they will run into the issue of extraneous buffs pushing them past the +20 cap.

I won't comment on whether that design is right or wrong to me. At the end of the day, we're not design by committee.
Vicerimus Mortem.

Phantasia

• Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • ¿
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2021, 12:03:10 AM »
If anyone has played Final Fantasy VIII, Combat Strike as it is right now is like casting Aura on your main character and spamming the O button until your Limit Break provokes and entering right into it deliberately and perpetually, instead of Limit Break being that last burst of strength when the chips are down and your hitpoints are low like it otherwise would be.

This reference is not lost on me. I appreciate it, even.

I can't agree with it. This is nothing like spamming a win button that doesn't even go away as combat continues.

That said if the numbers are toned down I think these changes are more than fine. Fighters needed that little extra kick in the pure department. And yes, this makes Rogue/Fighters better, but it should vault pure Fighters where they need to be--undisputed for those 18 or so rounds of combat. Which is fine. Pure Fighters really don't have anything else going on for them other than consumables.
Le cœur voit plus loin que l'esprit.
The heart sees further than the mind.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2021, 12:07:51 AM »
The design of the feats suggests that the designer or the team wants fighters to be the undisputed best at hitting things and being in combat.

If that's the goal, this achieves that. It allows a fighter to outpace buffers, although they will run into the issue of extraneous buffs pushing them past the +20 cap.

I won't comment on whether that design is right or wrong to me. At the end of the day, we're not design by committee.

This is an interesting point.

I think the design goal of these feats is to make Fighters the best at combat for short bursts of time.  I think that's a very laudable design goal.  Making a Fighter go Beast Mode a few times per day sounds entirely appropriate and fun.

Right now, though, I think this overshoots the mark, this will allow high level Fighters to be in Beast Mode for a large number of rounds every fight, and they can do this probably in most if not all encounters.  In other words, it might allow a Fighter to be in Beast Mode all the time.