You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: PrC Suggestion: Master of Radiance  (Read 958 times)

MatticusCaesar

• Dark Power
  • Beware the Hinvasion!
PrC Suggestion: Master of Radiance
« on: February 03, 2021, 11:39:29 AM »
Masters of Radiance channel the pure, undiluted power of the sun. Often originating in a good-aligned druid sect that reveres the sun, they have a holy purpose to scour the earth clean of undead. Wielding the sun's radiance as a weapon, they are the bane of any evil creature that lurks in the darkness.

Most Masters of radiance are Druids, due to their historical connection to sun-worshipping sects, though clerics and paladins with the correct domain devotions can also become a master of radiance.

Note: Unlike many other PrCs, the Master of Radiance caps out at level 5

- Base Attack Bonus: +1 / Level at levels 2, 3, 4 (see abilities table below)
- Hit Die: d8.
- Primary Saving Throws: Fortitude & Will (see abilities table below)
- Proficiencies: No additional proficiency is conferred by this PrC
- Skill Points: 4 + Int Modifier

Class Skills: Concentration, Heal, Influence, Lore, Spellcraft, Spot.
Unavailable Skills: Use Magic Device

REQUIREMENTS:
Alignment: Any non-evil
Spellcasting: Ability to cast 3rd Level Divine Spells (Original: Able to cast Daylight)
Divine Domain: Base Class Druid, or at least one of Animal, Plant, or Sun domains
Skills: Lore 8 ranks, Spellcraft 5 ranks (Original: Knowledge (nature) 8 ranks , Knowledge (religion) 5 ranks)

Abilities/advancement:

Level BAB    Fort    Ref    Will    Special                                                     Spells per Day
1st    +0    +2    +0    +2    Radiant aura 1x per day, turn undead             none
2nd    +1    +3    +0    +3    Searing light                                            +1 level of divine spellcasting class
3rd    +2    +3    +1    +3    Radiant aura 2x per day                            +1 level of divine spellcasting class
4th    +3    +4    +1    +4    —                                                            +1 level of divine spellcasting class
5th    +3    +4    +1    +4    Beam of sunlight, radiant aura 3x per day    +1 level of divine spellcasting class

Spells per Day/Spells Known: Beginning at 2nd level, a master of radiance gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if she had also gained a level in a divine spellcasting class to which she belonged before adding the prestige class level. She does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained (metamagic or item creation feats and so on; but see Turn Undead, below). If she had more than one divine spellcasting class before becoming a master of radiance, she must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining spells per day and spells known.

Turn Undead: Master of radiance class levels stack with levels of all other classes that grant the ability to turn undead for the purpose of determining the character's effective cleric level for turning. For example: a 7th-level cleric/5th-level master of radiance turns undead as a 12th-level cleric. A 6th-level druid/2nd-level master of radiance will turn undead as a 2nd level cleric.

Radiant Aura (Su): A master of radiance can emanate an aura of brilliant light that weakens undead creatures. The aura provides bright illumination in a 30-foot radius around the character, and shadowy illumination for an additional 30 feet beyond that. Creatures that take penalties in bright light also take them while within the radius of the bright aura. In addition, undead creatures within the radius of bright light take a —2 penalty on attack rolls, damage rolls, and saving throws.

Activating the radiant aura is a free action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity. While her radiant aura is active, a master of radiance casts spells with the light descriptor at +2 caster level.

A master of radiance can use this ability once per day at 1st level, twice per day at 3rd level, and three times per day at 5th level. Each use lasts 1 minute.

The radiant aura is the equivalent of a 5th-level spell with the light descriptor for the purpose of interacting with spells and effects with the darkness descriptor.

Searing Light (Sp): Beginning at 2nd level, a master of radiance can use searing light as a standard action once per round as long as her radiant aura is active. Treat the character's caster level for this effect as equal to her highest divine caster level, including the +2 caster level adjustment for the radiant aura (for example, a 7th-level druid/2nd-level master of radiance would use this effect as a 10th-level spellcaster).

Beam of Sunlight (Sp): A 5th-level master of radiance can evoke a dazzling beam of intense light (the equivalent of a beam from the sunbeam spell) once per round as a full-round action as long as her radiant aura is active. Treat the character's caster level for this effect as equal to her highest divine caster level, including the +2 caster level adjustment for the radiant aura (for example, a 7th-level druid/5th-level master of radiance would use this effect as a 13th-level spellcaster).

Optional/for consideration for PotM: Bonus Feats granted at levels 3 and/or 4
Optional/for consideration for PotM: Access to spell: "Anger of the Noonday Sun" at lvl 5

Source:  Collins, Andy, Cordell, Bruce R., Libris Mortis, The Book of Undead, c2004, Wizards of the Coast, Renton, WA, pp. 44-45.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 04:57:57 PM by MatticusCaesar »
Currently Playing:
Conner o'Clan Cunningham, Cando Weaselbite

On the sidelines but ready for action:
Tychon Corynian, Bjarna Blitzthorn, Remo Fenberry, Yerrith Greenstone, Gryllus Athens, Pristi Feld

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
Re: PrC Suggestion: Master of Radiance
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2021, 11:45:33 AM »
Main problem I see is that's a prestige class limited to only 5 levels. By design we only implement ones with a full 10 level progression.

I DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING!! *gives the evil eye to those smirking*
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 01:53:21 PM by MAB77 »
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

Revenant

• Noot Noot
  • Dark Lord
  • Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 11:59:29 AM »
Main problem I see is that's a prestige class limited to only 5 levels. By design we only implement ones with a full 10 level progression.

Is that a recent change in direction? People's Champion is 5 levels, for example. I think 5 level classes are fine, particularly when they're things like this that are flavorings/evolutions on a concept rather than an entirely unique pursuit of their own.

My main concern would be that the interest in development for custom classes is probably more focused towards base classes, and if prestige classes get added they'd likely be Ravenloft-specific.
Vicerimus Mortem.

MatticusCaesar

• Dark Power
  • Beware the Hinvasion!
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 01:29:24 PM »

I guess my response to that would be... why is that a policy?

Currently Playing:

Tychon Corynian, Bjarna Blitzthorn, Remo Fenberry, Yerrith Greenstone, Gryllus Athens, Pristi Feld

Khornite

• Grognard
  • Undead Master
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2021, 01:38:47 PM »

I guess my response to that would be... why is that a policy?

I'd have to agree with the policy. five level PRCs offer MUCH more power than their ten level counterparts merely by being only five levels. This allows the character to invest levels elsewhere, gain access to later leveled abilities in base classes, or even take a third class with greater ease.
"No, you." -Captain America

Fungal Artillery

• Undead Master
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2021, 01:50:16 PM »
My problem is that with comparatively minor sacrifice this is a straight up upgrade to any clerics that get this prestige class. This PRC works in an enviroment where there are a dozens of PRCs just like it and everyone is expected to grab a PRC or two.
"A man in a robe, claiming communion with the divine? Madness." - Narrator, Darkest Dungeon

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2021, 01:51:12 PM »
Wow look at that People's Champions IS only 5 levels. Sometimes I'm just incorrect in my affirmations. This one will be given a more serious look by the dev team.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

mccarthy00

• Undead Master
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2021, 02:09:20 PM »
if this becomes a thing every ML Paladin and cleric will take it, It will be like pale master for evil wizards

also giving druids a free turn undead with no real loss seems like a bad idea

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2021, 02:10:30 PM »
This seems really nice for clerics of sun deities be it Belenus, Morninglord, Pelor, etc.

Also I think that 5 levels is actually rather fitting for a PRC class IMO.

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2021, 03:50:11 PM »
also giving druids a free turn undead with no real loss seems like a bad idea

Trust me when I say being unable to turn into an air or water elemental is a valid tradeoff to be able to perform turn based feats that require charisma investment.

Druids do get a lot of sunlight spells except for searing light, a more caster oriented one being able to throw up to 30 extra sunbeams per rest*(3× 1min aura's, assuming Haste won't let them get two casts per round or it'd be 60x casts) would be the OP part.

inkcorvid

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2021, 04:21:52 PM »
How does:

Most Masters of radiance are Druids

... square with:

Divine Domain: at least one of Animal, Plant, or Sun

... as a requirement, given druids don't have divine domains?
Active: Nissa Arden, Chiara Grassini
Shelved: Dindalmogra Ggol, Serinda Takmarin, Lyra Rimewood, Sofie Reiss, Aidelina Gatteux, Odette Sautereau, Livny Skovgaard, Innogen Ashe
Closed: Anjeza Bajramovic, Nim Farboffle

Marcus Weyland

• Society of the Erudite
  • Undead Master
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2021, 04:35:18 PM »
My main concern would be that the interest in development for custom classes is probably more focused towards base classes, and if prestige classes get added they'd likely be Ravenloft-specific.

If the Devs aren't interested in a non-Ravenloft PrC such as Master of Radiance (which otherwise looks fine and balanced to me, mind), there IS a Morninglordian PrC, "Herald of Dawn," in one of the Gazes..

MatticusCaesar

• Dark Power
  • Beware the Hinvasion!
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2021, 04:43:45 PM »
I presume that was meant for for clerics who wanted to pursue the class.  I can add a note saying as much.
Druids are kind of innately associated with the plant & animal domains anyway.

The class is just a suggestion.  They can crumple it up and throw it in the garbage if they like.  lol
Currently Playing:

Stormy

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2021, 11:18:59 PM »
if this becomes a thing every ML Paladin and cleric will take it, It will be like pale master for evil wizards

I feel like it would end up being the reason a lot of people join the Cult. While I'm fine with people joining I'm not fine with them doing it only for PrC training. That being said I would apply for it the day it came/was announced because it just makes too much sense for the faction