Author Topic: Herbalism Update 2.0 - A proposal  (Read 3001 times)

Crimson Shuriken

• Happy Shoulders
  • Dark Power
  • Flying through the air with deadly intent!
Re: Herbalism Update 2.0 - A proposal
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2021, 06:11:53 PM »
I too think heal potions are a problem. Raise dead potions too.

I'm so casual, my shoes look like feet.

Inti

• Undead Master
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2021, 06:49:20 PM »
Herbalism... exploration + herbalism on my first PC here is what made me stick around in the first place. So well done to the past and present designers!  :)

I think it's largely fine as it is, though I agree with expanding spawn sites/rates in line with an increased server population.

If I were to ask anything is to please change back the DC for Cowardice/Expeditious retreat potion to what it was. Along with weakest heal it is part of an essential survival kit for any new starters, in my experience.

Otherwise - assuming this is balanced out with extra spawn nodes - it would also be nice to see more other plants growing in the wild that can be fairly easily found among the merchants (e.g. garlic, bay leaf, ginseng  -with the more 'expensive' ones perhaps being rare spawns in obscure locations) or as consumables among lower loot tables.  There could even be new consumables - berries and herbs in the wild that either give a very minor benefit or a larger benefit offset by a downside (e.g. if you eat more than 2-3 at a time - something bad happens to you: 'sleep', 'daze', 'blindness', even mild 'poison').
“What makes the desert beautiful,' said the little prince, 'is that somewhere it hides a well...”  ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Kaninchen

• Undead Master
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2021, 10:22:26 PM »
I like the idea of adjusting DCs in between levels, to make some aspects of it easier to grind through. Going from 22-32, and then up to 42 was a nightmare for me, and then the next big hump for my PC is getting up to Set's reliably. It doesn't come off as fun, personally.

I dislike the idea of different caster levels for items, for reasons others have stated, the biggest of which is how this would effect PCs starting out at the craft. It already takes a bit of a start-up to learn, from bottle expenses, to being able to afford herbs, if picking personally isn't always an option. Making the lower DC potions less desirable because of the lower caster level could have the opposite effect of the change simply because there isn't as good a rate of return for the potions you make, so can't afford bottles, or herbs.

Some nodes might need adjustment, as well. Looking at you, Bride's Locks!

Maffa

• Dark Power
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2021, 02:17:18 AM »
I wonder how much of the "easy/difficult" debate is biased around the notion on how much time some people spend on the server. For someone that can spend 3-4 hrs a day it means they have a few gaming sessions per season, and if they also want to do something else except gather herbs this aint much time dedicated to the grind. Rising any sorts of difficulties against people that seems to have taken residence inside the server, there is no limit you can place because they are going to smash it regardless.

And i would endorse longer potion effects too. Last time i went to a dungeon that required mind blanks and since the warder we had with us didn't have enough i had to use my own stock of potions: ive run out of these and then some more dreamcatchers, and i barely managed to "babysit" the less experienced characters that were with me. "Encouraging" partying up does not mean "gun to your head". It's not always possible having a full 5-6 people parties, and call it bad luck or what, but as of late i havent managed to find any around MC nor outskirts either.

Character List:

Marph - Closured
Marius Rucescu - Closured
Romeo Lascaris - Closured

A humble sage

• New to the Mists
« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2021, 02:43:13 PM »
I want to echo a few points that were made earlier. The exploration that came with herbalism is part of what encouraged me to keep on this server during the "early" stage where you don't have steady people to RP with. I like the concept of enhancing certain potions with longer durations, and it would encourage more herbalists to travel to non-barovian locations earlier, however I do think the practicality of more variations of potions will end up increasing the amount of time spent sorting through bags more than anything else.

I personally find herbalism to be in a good to possibly a bit strong position. Even if you aren't using all of the potions you make yourself, they sell for quite high prices, in comparison to other crafts which will actively drain your funds until you reach the best things it can provide. If I were to try to "de-power" herbalism I would decrease the stacking limit on potions more than I would further extend the DCs. Make them more annoying to hoard then more difficult to obtain.

I don't personally find the lack of herbs to be overly noticeable, and I think that higher level characters buying herbs from the newly misted is one of the best ways for low-level characters to get funds without having to make constant delivery trips. I do recall there being "gaps" in the potion progression that were frustrating when I was still learning the recipies, so smoothing out that curve might be appreciated for newer players who don't have mentors to ask about which ones to pursue.
Quiliti "Q" Kharnessa - Lucky charm
Shelved: Merrin Vlen - wandering scholar

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2021, 12:51:56 AM »
Greetings, based on feedbacks received about this proposal both here or through discussions with players, we will hold on this update for now. That isn't to say that it will not be implemented, but we'll take some more time to assess the potential impacts of this change and address the problems with Heal potions.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2021, 05:39:09 AM »
FYI just so you know that we have revised the parameters of this change and tweaked a few values here and there based on your observations, as well as on feedbacks received here and privately.

These changes can now be tested on the test server.

Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.