You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Legacy of the Living Fiend  (Read 1113 times)

Dardonas

Legacy of the Living Fiend
« on: January 26, 2021, 05:28:19 PM »
[Sitting on a solitary desk in the remote confines of a private study, a book recently written is left open to dry.]

Legacy of the Living Fiend

Book one in a series of works on philosophy, occultism, and the arcane sciences surrounding the Mists and the Core.

.: Preface :.

My name is Nasir Razthelyk.  I am the slave, the apprentice, and the successor of Halvor Hadiya.  None of my sibling pupils have lasted as long as I have, and even fewer in my graduating class have attained full mastery of the arcane with as much aptitude as I managed.  Though, I do not write this book in the shadow of Halvor Hadiya, even if it indeed looms over me and poisons my own legacy.  I write these words as the Instructor of Necromancy and former Instructor of Transmutation in the Red Academy of Hazlan.  I write these words as he who dares to steal the fire from the gods.  And, I write these words while drawing breath.

Reader, I wonder, did these words make it into your hands by way of myself?  Did they come from my apprentices, or perhaps their own apprentices? Do you delve through these pages seeking the mysteries of undeath?  Or, perhaps you seek the true nature of this prison and its jailors?

Consider the words within these pages my gift to you and your gift to me, reader.  The things I have done to uncover the knowledge I have will forever stain my soul.  I am damned, and I was never under any illusion otherwise.  Each word read, each page forward, you are complicit with every foul deed I have done — not as a witness, but as my accomplice. 

For as long as this knowledge lives, so too shall I.

.: Philosophy of the Mists :.

Truth — There is only one concise truth you must acknowledge: it is you or them.  Stand upon the shoulders of those you must for a time, but mind your attachments.  Mind those things which would steal your purpose, your fire – and snuff them out before they do so to you.

Obfuscation — This world is wrapped with shadows within shadows, lies within lies.  Reader, you must understand that you will not understand.  The glimpses of truth in-between the bars in this prison leads to more questions than answers. It was not meant for the comprehension of mortal minds.  Step back and do not attempt to read the threads, but follow them out like twine left behind in a labyrinth.

Morality — Is he who has not tasted of sin better than he who has?  The power fools place in their abstinence of their darkest urges does not beget that the urge is there to begin with.  Every saint can be corrupted because they define their morality by what they do not do.  In other words, to combat their tempter, they must inherently and intimately know their corrupter in some subconscious form.  What separates the “good” from the “evil” is a thin line that only one side admits to crossing.  Cross it freely, and cross it without remorse, or subject yourself to someone that will.

The Fall — My mentor once called evil the “wind in one’s sails.”  And there is some truth in that, but it is nothing without the abstract concept of “good.”  The corruption of mortals is a fascination of all fiends.  Perhaps it is some perversion of their kind, but I imagine there is something to be harnessed.  There is momentum in the fall; use it.  It is the most cherished and benign of men who can carve the most visceral wounds.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 08:22:26 PM by Dardonas »

Dardonas

Sacraments of Power
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 08:19:20 PM »
Sacraments of Power

Book two in a series of works on philosophy, occultism, and the arcane sciences surrounding the Mists and the Core.

.: Foundations of the Occult :.

What may seem like fundamentals to skilled arcanists as myself are often glossed over by the advanced works.  Yet, I have seen those I once considered subject matter experts blunder in what should be the most basic steps in the occult arts.

Objective — The primary and fundamental question asked in every ritual that is performed should be “What do I seek to accomplish?”  Summoning fiends and performing necromantic rituals should never be done for the arbitrary notch on one’s belt.  Rituals are costly endeavors and the resources expended to ensure one is performed should be enough of a deterrent not to engage in pointless matters. 

This is even more so true in Faustian bargains with fiends.  The carte blanche that is given can often tempt novice magi and the uninitiated into losing sight of their aims and even losing one’s soul for a tertiary goal, or unrelated prospect.  Distraction is the death of progress.

Symbolism — Such things are often delegated to the poet, the lyricist, the novelist, the bard.  Yet, symbols themselves hold within themselves an innate power in the occult. The sacrifice of the lamb, the blood of a virgin, the skull of the necromancer: these things all have in common potency that the mortal mind prescribes to it.  If a ritual is to be successful, one must include all possible advantages in doing so or the efforts are wasted.

Geometry — I would implore the reader to seek out proper formations of magical geometry, as there is a plethora of resources scattered throughout the Core.  The most basic ones include the pentagram, growing to intermediate formations with the heptagram, and eventually the extremely advanced triskaidecagon.

Do not attempt to use more advanced formations for simple tasks, as the more straightforward the task the greater the chance of success.  Use each according to its need, doing the bare minimum of what is required for the ritual you are attempting to ensure there are no complications.

Acolytes — It is with great hubris that an occultist will tell you that they alone are capable of performing powerful dark rites and sacraments.  Acolytes and assistants in a ritual are as important as the ritual’s geometry, as to what I would argue as an extension of the circle itself. 

While it is certainly possible to perform acts of great power alone, the mortal eye is flawed, and every ritual has chance of backfiring if done incorrectly.  Take heed of my words and use the power of your acolytes and your allies.  The cult is not a trophy, it is a resource.

Setting
— Perhaps one of the most often glossed over points of ritual is the location and time it is performed.  Both of these have roots in my section on symbolism, but it is distinct enough to separate these into their own place. 

The location of a ritual must correspond to the significance of what is trying to be performed.  All rituals are visceral and act upon the land, and the land acts upon the ritual.  Magic is not created from thin air; it is drawn from like water from a reservoir.  Draw from a rich source in order to succeed, though take heed not to drink from a poisoned well.

The timing of a ritual holds its own merit in discussing.  There is power in the cycles of the moon, and the potential of a full moon is fully utilized when incantations correspond during the witching hour.  Lastly, neglect not the timing of the solstices; to each season there is significance and the positions of the sun and moon both work to help or hinder the ritual in question.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 08:39:22 PM by Dardonas »

Dardonas

Libris Immortalitatis Maleficarum: Book of Immortal Magi
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 12:25:06 AM »
Libris Immortalitatis Maleficarum: Book of Immortal Magi

Book three in a series of works on philosophy, occultism, and the arcane sciences surrounding the Mists and the Core.

.::Paradox of Immortality::.

Those who wish to attain true power typically do so through the avenues of two dark and powerful magics: Conjuration and Necromancy.  As the act of conjuring power revolves heavily on the dependence of fiendish entities and one-sided Faustian bargains, I would consider Necromancy the only infallible method of mortal empowerment.

Time is the great equalizer, and those who have learned and studied the majesty of death to purchase more years will always come ahead of those who make fiendish bargains for their souls.  Mortalkind is limited in their ability to learn before their death, but those who conquer death will have all the time they require.

Understand this, however, reader – if you seek the secrets of lichdom know that you will one day falter.  Perhaps you buy yourself several years, perhaps you buy yourself several centuries – one day your phylactery will be destroyed.  As too, one day my own will.  And thus, the paradox of immortality through the method I list is that it is not true immortality, but a facsimile.  Even more importantly than this, remember not to become blighted with the curse of elves: jaded and complacent.  One must remember their purpose and not spend their time idle.

.::Potion of Transformation::.

Reagents: [redacted] or [redacted], Basilisk's Blood, Belladonna

Only those skilled in alchemical processes should attempt this.  Additionally, this should be performed with those who can handle the magical steps involved, lest they waste valuable reagents.  Taken through the [redacted] process, the potion consists of the following heated up to 15 Yaroses for three hours.  Cast upon it: Cone of Cold, Feign Undeath, and Animate Dead.  It must be consumed within the next full moon.  Bodily death will ensue, and if the other steps are taken care of properly one will rise again as a lich.  It is crucial that one chooses between a [redacted] or [redacted], as it is dependent on whether the imbiber is to become a [redacted] or [redacted]. 

.::Phylactery::.

Provided one is capable of casting more advanced necromantic spells such as [redacted], the only substantial element to this step in lichdom is the nature of a phylactery.  Depending on what the mage intends their threats to be, sturdy materials are best suited for the phylactery’s creation.  Typically, this is adamantine or mithral.  However, if the imbiber of the potion is assisted by a sponsor lich, this vessel is a [redacted] and is much more vulnerable.  Ensure that this is created before imbibing the Potion of Transformation and that one is capable of casting [redacted] and binding the would-be lich to the artifact of choice.

.::State of Being::.

It is not without passing on this knowledge that I offer to arm the reader with how my mental state has changed.  Since I began writing these series of books, I followed the steps I’ve outlined within these pages to become undead.  I am of a mind more sound than ever before.  Alas, I must mention this: you will attain power, and you will want more.  Do not forget your purpose.  I feel torn between what my goal was meant to be and my ambition for power.  Escape will come, and I will coalesce the power of the ages after I fulfill my promise…  Perhaps even reconcile the two.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 12:32:45 AM by Dardonas »

Dardonas

The Demiplane of Imprisonment
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 07:10:00 PM »
The Demiplane of Imprisonment

Book four of a series on philosophy, occultism, and the arcane sciences surrounding the Mists and the Core.

Reader, I am certain that the jailors in this land would not want me speaking on these things.  Though, they would prefer many things, wouldn’t they?  I know such ramblings might be reduced to the maddened musings of a crazed lich, but I can assure you I am saner now than I have ever been.  Is it insane of me to do whatever it takes to escape this prison?  Is it insane of me to kill those who stand in my way?  No, I think not.  I have untethered myself from my mortal bonds and petty things such as morality.  Reader, it is time you dare to ask yourself if it is sane that you would let yourself be trapped here and follow their rules.

.::The Prison::.

I have come to discover that the Demiplane of Imprisonment is nestled on the fringes of the Plane of Shadow.  Very few things can escape through the mists that brought them here.  Myself and my prodigy of an apprentice came to find out in our research that this world is nothing but an illusion.  An illusion, however, in the metaphysical sense that illusionary creations are created from material from the Plane of Shadow.  A world built on lies… lies within lies, shadows within shadows.  Any attempt to comprehend the nature of this great lie only goes to create more questions and more illusions… it’s all a lie.  All of it.

.::The Jailors and their Prisoners::.

I know even less of our captors than I do of our prison.  Even for one of my intellect, I cannot wrap my mind around these beings whose mechanizations are beyond my control.  Through the research I’ve managed, we are not the intended prisoners in these cells.  By my speculation: Barovia, Count Strahd von Zarovich.  By his own confirmation: Darkon, the Wizard-King Azalin Rex.  By my own eyes: the land of many doors, Halvor Hadiya.  I am only led to believe there are more of these cells. 

I saw the state they kept Halvor in.  An insatiable thirst for escape, and unable to achieve it.  He scarcely recognized me, his prodigy.  I knew they were not going to let him escape, but what was curious enough was what happened when he came so close.  I recall it now vividly: he had followed us through the Gate and ended up in the ritual circle, unable to leave.  A curious being appeared in the form of a pixie, denouncing his attempt.  I had immediately assumed it was some Degannwyite who had caught wind of our dealings with Halvor.  It was only the unearthly explosion that nearly reduced my lab in the Drain to rubble that later swayed my thoughts concerning the matter.  By some miracle I had survived with my apprentices, but Halvor was no where to be seen.  There was no doubt then as there is now: he was sent back to his cell.

I do not know how long the Wizard-King was imprisoned, but when I questioned him over the contents of the research notes I had come across so few months ago, he confirmed they were indeed written by his hand.  “Nameless tormentors” he calls them in his texts. He then went on to tell me that “the more he thrashes about, the tighter their grip becomes on him.”

.::On Escape::.

I have come across others, too, who have attempted to escape: the Chainbreakers.  As I have not seen them since our initial meeting, I am left to assume they are either dead or escaped.  I am much more inclined to believe the former.  Their plan was the use of an object of great power to sunder a vulnerable point in the Mists while using another artifact to conceal the attempt.  This is likely the best path forward, raw strength, raw power.  My current studies lead me to believe a book known as Libris Exitum holds within it spells with the capacity to sunder the mists themselves...

As I understand it, escape does not go unnoticed.  I am led to believe it is possible.  There were rumors brought to me that a man named Mark or something of the sort, utilized an artifact to escape.  Whether he actually escaped or just blew himself up is uncertain, the artifact was certainly alleged to be capable of pushing one through the veil.  The sheer lack of reproduction of this event leads me to believe they made it impossible to replicate.  They were aware of what happened and made it so it could not be done again.  It must mean they are watching us.

Not always, but perhaps always... They are watching.  Do not let them catch you, they are watching.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 07:14:07 PM by Dardonas »