Author Topic: Base Class suggestion: Swashbuckler  (Read 1395 times)

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
Base Class suggestion: Swashbuckler
« on: January 20, 2021, 02:21:36 PM »
So seeing as we have some more Base classes, hexblade and Voodan for example. I thought that possibly the Swashbuckler could be added, it feats a number of domains, like Deementlieu IMO. So below is the information from Complete Warrior on how the Swashbuckler is.

Swashbuckler
The swashbuckler embodies the concepts of daring and panache. Favoring agility and wit over brute force, the swashbuckler excels both in combat situations and social interactions, making her a versatile character indeed.

Adventures: Swashbucklers adventure for a variety of motivations, based on their alignment and background. Some seek to right injustices, while others seek only fame and fortune. All swashbucklers, however, share a tendency to leap into action when the call comes, regardless of their personal views.

Characteristics: The swashbuckler combines skill and fi nesse with sheer combat prowess. Though swashbucklers can’t dish out quite as much damage as a typical fighter or barbarian, they tend to be more agile and mobile than most melee combatants. When she can pick her battles carefully, a swashbuckler becomes a very deadly opponent (not to mention hard to pin down). Swashbucklers also hold their own in social situations, unlike most fighters.

Alignment: Like rogues, swashbucklers tend to be diverse in their outlooks, and thus in their alignments. Those who chafe under societal restrictions tend to be chaotic, while those who uphold honorable traditions may well be lawful.

Religion: Most swashbucklers pay at least some small amount of homage to Olidammara (deity of thieves), since that deity is renowned as being lucky. Lawful or chivalrous swashbucklers may revere Heironeous (deity of valor) or even St. Cuthbert (deity of retribution). Swashbucklers who choose the open road over a fixed residence often worship Fharlanghn(deity of roads).

Background: Many swashbucklers come from affluent backgrounds, but anyone valuing finesse over force can become a swashbuckler, regardless of background. A com mon shared element among swashbucklers’ backgrounds is life in an urban environment, whether the back alleys of a slum or the cultured halls of royalty.  Swashbucklers tend to see other swashbucklers as rivals rather than allies, even when sharing similar goals. The swashbuckler’s need for attention often outweighs her better judgment, leading either to friendly competition or even outright distrust and antipathy.

Races: Swashbucklers are most often humans, elves, or half-elves. Humans and half-elves tend to have the daring nature required of a swashbuckler, and the natural grace of elves makes them well suited for the class. Halflings and gnomes often have the temperament to become a swashbuckler, though their slower speed works against them. Dwarves tend to prefer fighting in heavy armor with big weapons, and thus rarely become swashbucklers. Among the savage humanoids, swashbucklers are virtually unknown.

Other Classes: Swashbucklers prefer to work with other quick, lightly armored characters. They get along best with rogues and bards, and appreciate the agility and combat talents of the monk (though chaotic swashbucklers may chafe at the monk’s ascetic nature). Lawful good swashbucklers often share the paladin’s honorable nature, but otherwise the classes tend to clash in their approach to life. Swashbucklers have no particular distaste for spellcasters, and they appreciate the utility of a cleverly chosen, well-timed spell. They don’t interact with barbarians, druids, or rangers very often, since these characters tend to prefer natural settings to the typical urban environment of the swashbuckler.

Role: The swashbuckler is an able melee combatant, particularly when paired with a fighter or rogue. She can also make a fi ne party leader or spokesperson, thanks to her access to Charisma-based skills.

Game Rule Information
Swashbucklers have the following game statistics.

Abilities: The lightly armored swashbuckler depends on a high Dexterity for her Armor Class, as well as for many class skills. High Intelligence and Charisma scores are also hallmarks of a successful swashbuckler. Strength is not as important for a swashbuckler as it is for other melee combatants.
Alignment: Any.
Hit Die: d10.

The swashbuckler’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Jump (Str), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), and Use Rope (Dex)
Swashbuckler Progression

Level Base Attack BonusFort SaveRef SaveWill SaveSpecial
1st+1+2+0+0Weapon Finesse
2nd+2+3+0+0Grace +1
3rd+3+3+1+1insightful strike
4th+4+4+1+1-
5th+5+5+1+1Dodge bonus +1
6th+6/+1+5+2+2-
7th+7/+2+5+2+2Acrobatic charge
8th+8/+3+6+2+2Improved flanking
9th+9/+4+6+3+3-
10th+10/+5+7+3+3 Dodge bonus +2
11th+11/+6/+1+7+3+3Grace +2, lucky
12th+12/+7/+2+8+4+4
13th+13/+8/+3+8+4+4Acrobatic skill mastery
14th+14/+9/+4+9+4+4Weakening critical
15th+15/+10/+5+9+5+5Dodge bonus +3
16th+16/+11/+6/+1+10+5+5
17th+17/+12/+7/+2+10+5+5Slippery mind
18th+18/+13/+8/+3+11+6+6
19th+19/+14/+9/+4+11+6+6Wounding critical
20th+20/+15/+10/+5+12+6+6Dodge bonus +4, grace +3

Swashbuckler abilities

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Swashbucklers are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, and with light armor. Some of the swashbuckler’s class features, as noted below, rely on her being no more than lightly armored and unencumbered

Weapon Finesse (Ex): A swashbuckler gains Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat at 1st level even if she does not qualify for the feat

Grace (Ex): A swashbuckler gains a +1 competence bonus on Reflex saves at 2nd level. This bonus increases to +2 at 11th level and to +3 at 20th level. A swashbuckler loses this bonus when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load.

Insightful Strike (Ex): At 3rd level, a swashbuckler becomes able to place her finesse attacks where they deal greater damage. She applies her Intelligence bonus (if any) as a bonus on damage rolls (in addition to any Strength bonus she may have) with any light weapon, as well as any other weapon that can be used with Weapon Finesse, such as a rapier, whip, or spiked chain. Targets immune to sneak attacks or critical hits are immune to the swashbuckler’s insightful strike. A swashbuckler cannot use this ability when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load.

Dodge Bonus (Ex): A swashbuckler is trained at focusing her defenses on a single opponent in melee. During her action, she may designate an opponent and receive a +1 dodge bonus to Armor Class against melee attacks from that opponent. She can select a new opponent on any action. This bonus increases by +1 at every five levels after 5th (+2 at 10th level, +3 at 15th, and +4 at 20th). A swashbuckler loses this bonus when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load.  If the swashbuckler also has the Dodge feat, she need not designate the same target for this ability as for the Dodge feat. (If she designates the same target, the bonuses stack.)

Acrobatic Charge (Ex): A swashbuckler of 7th level or higher can charge in situations where others cannot. She may charge over difficult terrain that normally slows movement or allies blocking her path. This ability enables her to run down steep stairs, leap down from a balcony, or to tumble over tables to get to her target. Depending on the circumstance, she may still need to make appropriate checks (Jump or Tumble checks, in particular) to successfully move over the terrain.

Improved Flanking (Ex): A swashbuckler of 8th level or higher who is fllanking an opponent gains a +4 bonus on attacks instead of a +2 bonus on attacks. (Other characters flanking with the swashbuckler don’t gain this increased bonus.)

Lucky (Ex): Many swashbucklers live by the credo “Better lucky than good.” Once per day, a swashbuckler of 11th level or higher may reroll any failed attack roll, skill check, ability check, or saving throw. The character must take the result of the reroll, even if it’s worse than the original roll.

Acrobatic Skill Mastery (Ex): At 13th level, a swashbuckler becomes so certain in the use of her acrobatic skills that she can use them reliably even under adverse conditions. When making a Jump or Tumble check, a swashbuckler may take 10 even if stress and distractions would normally prevent her from doing so.

Weakening Critical (Ex): A swashbuckler of 14th level or higher who scores a critical hit against a creature also deals 2 points of Strength damage to the creature. Creatures immune to critical hits are immune to this effect.

Slippery Mind (Ex): When a swashbuckler reaches 17th level, her mind becomes more difficult to control. If the swashbuckler fails her save against an enchantment spell or effect, she can attempt the save again 1 round later at the same DC (assuming she is still alive). She gets only this one extra chance to succeed at a certain saving throw.

Wounding Critical (Ex): A swashbuckler of 19th level or higher who scores a critical hit against a creature also deals 2 points of Constitution damage to the creature. (This damage is in addition to the Strength damage dealt by the swashbuckler’s weakening critical class feature.) Creatures immune to critical hits are immune to this effect.

Now some of those abilities can exist in NWN or could be adapted. The big difficult ones being the Acrobatic Charge, Acrobatic Skill Mastery, and lucky. Though one could perhaps represent them with boosts to tumble and freedom of movement? But it could also be replaced with something fitting if it couldn't be represented. Lucky is probably the only real thing IMO that could not be added. 

I do think that the this class would be fitting especially for Dementlieu. Still I am curious what others think of the Swashbuckler and it being added? Would it a be a good addition. or would it not be that good?

Marcus Weyland

• Society of the Erudite
  • Undead Master
Re: Base Class suggestion: Swashbuckler
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 02:43:46 PM »
I love the Swashbuckler class and think it's a natural fit for the setting-- Dementlieu in particular.

A Dex-based, non-caster, non-stealther seems like it shouldn't be stepping on anybody's toes. Currently, we see Bards, Rogues, and Rangers doing the dashing derring-do style of combat, but if you're not interested in themes of nature, stealth, or music, you're pretty much out of luck.

-Lucky could be replaced with, maybe a bonus to Universal saves.
-Acrobatic Charge might be replaced with a bonus to Tumble (+1 per 2 levels of Swash, maybe less?) or maybe just Skill Focus: Tumble for free.
-Acrobatic Skill Mastery is a little trickier, but maybe Uncanny Dodge at the 13th level?

Revenant

• Noot Noot
  • Dark Lord
  • Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 03:08:26 PM »
Acrobatic Skill Mastery is, theoretically, just a take 10 on tumble in/out of combat. Haven't looked at how hard that would be to implement, could get weird.

Acrobatic Charge could be done with Immunity to Grease? That's about the only unsteady terrain we have.

Lucky would almost certainly need replacement.

The biggest stumbling point I see is the critical feats - NWN doesn't have a clean way to check for crits, with all of the vanilla feats being hardcoded to my recollection. Unless Beamdog suddenly graces us with OnCriticalHit(), that might be the nail in Swashbuckler's coffin.
Vicerimus Mortem.

The Doctor

• New to the Mists
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2021, 03:17:03 PM »
I would love to see Swashbuckler in the game. It won't be the most over powered class or the best of anything but I am quite sure it will grow its own fan base over the time. The concept is quite well known by many and can be adapted to the game (story-wise) with little to no effort.

As my suggestion to Lucky, I say Rogue's "Slippery Mind" could work. I don't know if it's hard coded to work against failed saving throws against Enchantment Effects or not but, even if it's it gives what "Lucky" gives: Ability to re-roll a dice. Of course in a way way more limited manner but it is better than nothing. Instead of getting Slippery Mind at level 17, the class can have it in early levels, 11, in this case.

In order to reflect Acrobatic Charge and Acrobatic Skill Mastery, first comes to mind is limited form of immunities but me, as a person not in fond of immunities given that easily so I have another, a bit out of the box suggestion for those.

The original abilities show us that Swashbucklers are masters of their fighting environment and they're quick to react ever-changing atmosphere of the battlefield. They can keep their focus on while doing risky moves like jumping ship to ship, swinging in a loose rope, walking on a tight wooden plank etc.

In NWN we don't have such encounters or obstacles but we have quite intense and ever-changing fights. Thus, these abilities can be adapted to combat directly. When they need to change their attacking target or need to retreat back in combat, being not able to cripple by enemy's blow would be great for them. I believe the feats Dodge, Mobiltiy and Spring attack can be added to class as the level progression continues on proper levels.

Also, for balance purposes these feats may be given in first 10~11 levels of the class so the class itself won't be underpowered. On top of that, I believe these free feats might give people chance to try the PrC Weaponmaster as Swashbucklers. I believe we don't have many light weapon user weapon masters and people who are chasing for the PrC will try for it anyway. Why don't we add an option and give a cool looking, nothing too powerful, absurt and fun to play option too?

Make rapier wielder, one eyed pirate swashbuckler weapon master a thing!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 03:47:04 PM by The Doctor »

Profezzor_Darke

• Undead Master
  • Join my club
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2021, 04:29:25 PM »
YES YES YES

Not only dementlieu, but all the Chivalric/Rennaissance regions on the westerns coasts. So far I had to awkwardly stitch my swashbuckler together out of Rogue and Fighter, and it's not really what I wanted. (Though this would let them still combine me with Rogue, to get the attack bonus, the int to damage etc. and the high Int that's worthwhile here adds even more to my skill points)

Lucky would need a replacement since we can't decide to reroll things (or live with the fact we could only do so in DM'd events for RP'd checks)

I would change a few more things though, because so far this looks like I could just add in those feats as Fighter Feats and achieve a similar effect, with the exception I don't get the social skills.

I would add more thoughts about this, but I have little time right now.

"[...] being cool is never a waste"

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2021, 12:51:16 PM »
Not to say it will never happen but there are many problems with implementing this class, first and foremost being that the majority of its abilities can't be implemented in NwN with what we have.

Spoiler: show
Grace (Ex): A swashbuckler gains a +1 competence bonus on Reflex saves at 2nd level. This bonus increases to +2 at 11th level and to +3 at 20th level. A swashbuckler loses this bonus when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load.

Easy to add, subject to the cap.

Insightful Strike (Ex): At 3rd level, a swashbuckler becomes able to place her finesse attacks where they deal greater damage. She applies her Intelligence bonus (if any) as a bonus on damage rolls (in addition to any Strength bonus she may have) with any light weapon, as well as any other weapon that can be used with Weapon Finesse, such as a rapier, whip, or spiked chain. Targets immune to sneak attacks or critical hits are immune to the swashbuckler’s insightful strike. A swashbuckler cannot use this ability when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load.

Could only be implemented if the character is not dual-wielding or if they're dual-wielding light weapons.

Dodge Bonus (Ex): A swashbuckler is trained at focusing her defenses on a single opponent in melee. During her action, she may designate an opponent and receive a +1 dodge bonus to Armor Class against melee attacks from that opponent. She can select a new opponent on any action. This bonus increases by +1 at every five levels after 5th (+2 at 10th level, +3 at 15th, and +4 at 20th). A swashbuckler loses this bonus when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load.  If the swashbuckler also has the Dodge feat, she need not designate the same target for this ability as for the Dodge feat. (If she designates the same target, the bonuses stack.)

This is feasible, essentially just giving more Dodge AC, subject to the cap, though that's much more powerful than the PnP version.

Acrobatic Charge (Ex): A swashbuckler of 7th level or higher can charge in situations where others cannot. She may charge over difficult terrain that normally slows movement or allies blocking her path. This ability enables her to run down steep stairs, leap down from a balcony, or to tumble over tables to get to her target. Depending on the circumstance, she may still need to make appropriate checks (Jump or Tumble checks, in particular) to successfully move over the terrain.

No way to implement that at all.

Improved Flanking (Ex): A swashbuckler of 8th level or higher who is fllanking an opponent gains a +4 bonus on attacks instead of a +2 bonus on attacks. (Other characters flanking with the swashbuckler don’t gain this increased bonus.)

Hardcoded.

Lucky (Ex): Many swashbucklers live by the credo “Better lucky than good.” Once per day, a swashbuckler of 11th level or higher may reroll any failed attack roll, skill check, ability check, or saving throw. The character must take the result of the reroll, even if it’s worse than the original roll.

No way to implement that/hardcoded.

Acrobatic Skill Mastery (Ex): At 13th level, a swashbuckler becomes so certain in the use of her acrobatic skills that she can use them reliably even under adverse conditions. When making a Jump or Tumble check, a swashbuckler may take 10 even if stress and distractions would normally prevent her from doing so.

No way to implement that.

Weakening Critical (Ex): A swashbuckler of 14th level or higher who scores a critical hit against a creature also deals 2 points of Strength damage to the creature. Creatures immune to critical hits are immune to this effect.

Hardcoded, could be edited if one day we decide to hook into the attack/damage events but that seems prone to generate lag so doubt it will ever happen.

Slippery Mind (Ex): When a swashbuckler reaches 17th level, her mind becomes more difficult to control. If the swashbuckler fails her save against an enchantment spell or effect, she can attempt the save again 1 round later at the same DC (assuming she is still alive). She gets only this one extra chance to succeed at a certain saving throw.

Can give them the rogue version.

Wounding Critical (Ex): A swashbuckler of 19th level or higher who scores a critical hit against a creature also deals 2 points of Constitution damage to the creature. (This damage is in addition to the Strength damage dealt by the swashbuckler’s weakening critical class feature.) Creatures immune to critical hits are immune to this effect.

See above.

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2021, 04:52:38 PM »

No way to implement that at all.

What if this became an active ability that conferred a movement speed bonus, immunity to slow, and an increase to reflex saves?

I guess we don't really have the charge maneuver, but if swashbucklers were the class that was specifically allowed to use a custom active ability called Acrobatic Charge, it could be, for example, +2 AB, -2 AC, +x Reflex, +x% movement speed, immunity to slow. Only needs to last a few rounds for it to be effective.

They could get it at level 7 with one use, maybe another use every 3 levels, that would be okay. There could also be an "extra charges" type feat.
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

Glass Cannon

• Dark Power
  • Friendly Merchant
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2021, 05:16:04 PM »
Could also give them the Mobility feat as a replacement for Acrobatic Charge, that might make it interesting for certain builds.
"Aristocrats and criminals have a lot in common. They’re both selfish, get bored easily, and have access to wads of cash they didn’t have to work honestly to get. The topper? Neither have any interest in bourgeois rules or morality."

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2021, 05:41:37 PM »
Could also give them the Mobility feat as a replacement for Acrobatic Charge, that might make it interesting for certain builds.

Sure, if it was one ability that didn't work it could be adjusted, which is what we already do, but as it is, the vast majority of abilities can't be implemented.

Maffa

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2021, 03:30:13 PM »
Could any of the feasible feats be available to warriors with an hefty DEX requirement for dex based fighters?

Character List:

Marph - Closured
Marius Rucescu - Closured
Romeo Lascaris - Closured

hugolino

• Dark Lord
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2021, 04:47:46 PM »

Sure, if it was one ability that didn't work it could be adjusted, which is what we already do, but as it is, the vast majority of abilities can't be implemented.

Would it be possible to remake the Swashbuckler class to better fit the limits of Neverwinter Nights while remaining faithful to the fictional archetype? Taking inspiration from D&D 3.0 and the D&D spinoff Pathfinder, how about the below proposal for a swashbuckler suited for Prisoners of the Mist.

PotM SWASHBUCKLER

Description: Whether a hero or scoundrel, the swashbuckler embodies the concepts of daring and panache. Rather than skulk about in the shadows, you harass and thwart foes with bravado, grace and style as you lightly dart about the battlefield, attack with weapon and wit, and cheat death as you go.

• Base Attack Bonus: +1/Level
  • Hit Die: d10
  • Primary Saving Throw: Reflex and Will.
  • Proficiencies: Proficient with all simple weapons, plus the rapier, scimitar, flintlock, short sword, and light armor. Swashbucklers are not proficient with shields.
  • Skill points: 4 + INT modifier ((4+ INT modifier) * 4 at 1st level)

Class Skills: Antagonize, Concentration, Discipline, Disguise, Heal, Influence, Listen, Lore, Parry, Perform, Spot, Tumble
Unavailable Skills: Animal Empathy, Use Magic Device

ABILITIES BY LEVEL:

1: Weapon Finesse - Melee attack rolls may use DEX instead of STR (whichever is higher)
Improved Disarm - No attacks of opportunity while disarming and less penalty
Called Shot
2: Bonetti's Defense - +1 shield bonus to AC when wielding only a one-handed weapon
3: Vivacious Speed - While wearing light or no armor, gain a 10% movement speed increase.
Sand in the Eyes - Blind a foe briefly with a dirty trick
5: Cleave - Free attack on new foe after defeating an enemy
6: Thibault's Geometry - +2 shield bonus to AC when wielding only a one-handed weapon
7: Improved Knockdown - Considered larger for knockdown attempts.
8: Careful Handling - Chance of backfiring with firearm is halved.
9: Improved Critical (must choose one-handed weapon)
10: Whirlwind Attack - Attack all foes within five feet as a full attack action
11: Agrippa's Fundamental Guards - +3 shield bonus to AC when wielding only a one-handed weapon
13: Defensive Awareness I - Keep DEX bonus to AC even if surprised
Luck of Heroes - +1 to all saves
15: Evasion - A successful Reflex save for half damage results in no damage.
17: Overwhelming Critical - Extra damage on a critical hit (must choose one-handed weapon)
20: Improved Whirlwind Attack - Attack all foes within 10 feet as a full attack action
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 01:08:51 AM by hugolino »

Abear

• Dark Lord
  • You are not a human being.
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2021, 05:05:26 PM »
Spoiler: show

Would it be possible to remake the Swashbuckler class to better fit the limits of Neverwinter Nights while remaining faithful to the fictional archetype? Taking inspiration from D&D 3.0 and the D&D spinoff Pathfinder, how about the below proposal for a swashbuckler suited for Prisoners of the Mist.

PotM SWASHBUCKLER

Description: The swashbuckler embodies the concepts of daring and panache. You harass and thwart foes with grace and style as you lightly dart about the battlefield, attack with weapon and wit, and cheat death.

• Proficiencies: All simple and martial weapons and light armor

Class Skills: Antagonize, Concentration, Discipline, Disguise, Heal, Influence, Listen, Lore, Parry, Perform, Spot, Tumble

ABILITIES BY LEVEL:

1: Weapon Finesse - Melee attack rolls may use DEX instead of STR (whichever is higher)
2: Bonetti's Defense - +1 shield bonus to AC when wielding only a one-handed weapon
3: Vivacious Speed I - While wearing light or no armor, gain a 10% movement speed increase.
5: Mobility - Gain +4 dodge bonus to AC against attacks of opportunity
6: Thibault's Geometry - +2 shield bonus to AC when wielding only a one-handed weapon
7: Vivacious Speed II - While wearing light or no armor, 20% speed boost total
Cleave - Free attack on new foe after defeating an enemy
9: Evasion - A successful Reflex save for half damage results in no damage.
Skill Focus: Antagonize - +3 with attempts to taunt or intimidate
11: Vivacious Speed III - While wearing light or no armor, 30% speed boost total
Agrippa's Fundamental Guards - +3 shield bonus to AC when wielding only a one-handed weapon
13: Uncanny Dodge - Keep DEX bonus to AC even if surprised
15: Vivacious Speed IV - While wearing light or no armor, 40% speed boost total
19: Vivacious Speed V - While wearing light or no armor, gain an extra attack per round.
20: Epic Skill Focus: Antagonize - +10 bonus with attempts to taunt or intimidate

I'm certain I could make a rogue/fighter that functions almost exactly like this aside from the movement speed buffs, which I already think aren't fun or easily balanceable in NWN.
Current: Sásha Kostoviç
Occasionally: Blair Florescu

hugolino

• Dark Lord
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2021, 05:20:49 PM »
I'm certain I could make a rogue/fighter that functions almost exactly like this aside from the movement speed buffs, which I already think aren't fun or easily balanceable in NWN.

That's not surprising considering that I tried to propose an approximation of the swashbuckler archetype within what seems to be the limits of NWN and Prisoners of the Mist programming. If I had allowed myself to be more daring, I would have proposed something akin to Divine Might (Charisma modifier added to attack damage) since the charismatic aspect of the swashbuckler is weak in my proposal and its damage is too

EDIT: I do feel some degree of speed increase is suitable for the archetype of a swashbuckler, which is a bit of a charismatic skirmisher or duelist I think. Anyway, I made some tweaks.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 05:34:42 PM by hugolino »

Heresyteller

• Undead Slayer
  • "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2021, 05:36:45 PM »

PotM SWASHBUCKLER

Description: The swashbuckler embodies the concepts of daring and panache. You harass and thwart foes with grace and style as you lightly dart about the battlefield, attack with weapon and wit, and cheat death.

• Proficiencies: All simple and martial weapons and light armor

ABILITIES BY LEVEL:

3: Vivacious Speed I - While wearing light or no armor, gain a 10% movement speed increase.
5: Mobility - Gain +4 dodge bonus to AC against attacks of opportunity
7: Vivacious Speed II - While wearing light or no armor, 20% speed boost total
Cleave - Free attack on new foe after defeating an enemy
9: Evasion - A successful Reflex save for half damage results in no damage.
Skill Focus: Antagonize - +3 with attempts to taunt or intimidate
11: Vivacious Speed III - While wearing light or no armor, 30% speed boost total
Agrippa's Fundamental Guards - +3 shield bonus to AC when wielding only a one-handed weapon
13: Uncanny Dodge - Keep DEX bonus to AC even if surprised
15: Vivacious Speed IV - While wearing light or no armor, gain an extra attack per round.
20: Epic Skill Focus: Antagonize - +10 bonus with attempts to taunt or intimidate

I mean the class itself doesnt focus in play one handed, that would limit the class in my opinion, maybe a choice between two wepon defense and one hand defense feats?

hugolino

• Dark Lord
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2021, 05:44:17 PM »
I mean the class itself doesnt focus in play one handed, that would limit the class in my opinion, maybe a choice between two wepon defense and one hand defense feats?

That would step on the toes of the Ranger class I would think and it also doesn't fit the fantasy archetype of a swashbuckler very well. But that brings up an idea associated with swashbucklers that I had forgotten - flintlocks to go with those one-handed swords! Inspired by the below videos, I tweaked my proposal a bit more to remove some of the speed, add some firearm feats, improved knockdown, whirlwind attack, and an underhanded maneuver fitting to a freebooter.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 10:55:34 PM by hugolino »