Author Topic: A rolling stone gathers no moss - Creighton Norville  (Read 667 times)

Chaoshawk

• Dark Power
A rolling stone gathers no moss - Creighton Norville
« on: January 12, 2021, 10:23:53 PM »
It has been long since I wrote about my travels. Lately, I have thought about the past and reflected on the path that led me here. I relived my greatest regrets and when I close my eyes and daydream the vividity of these memories immerse me in what must be a trance. Although the night terrors I have are recurring, I have come closer to an understanding of where I have come. It’s hard to tell what was the beginning, but in 772 I recall the final harvest before I was taken from Upwich.

Just a stone’s throw from Hope’s End, the unmarked trail led me home to the hamlet immersed in the silent, eerie trees. With the Halan’s remedy in tow, I made my way home in hopes this would raise my father’s weakened spirits. The journey back home to Upwich was uneventful despite the common dangers of traveling alone. The summer rains were behind us and I greeted Uncle Audry at the hamlet by the midday sun. My dear misanthropic mentor was upset I recall, and I would soon realize just why he was on edge. The ides of autumn announced themselves in the falling of leaves heralded the inevitable cycle of death until the coming spring. Preparations for the Fall Festival were well underway with the great oak at the center of it. Tables were set, foodstuffs in view, and the wicker man stood amidst it all.

The villagers returned from their affairs. The hunters’ bounty was good with plenty of game and farmers celebrated a great yield. The atmosphere of the feast was pleasant, tranquil even with cheer in the air. Except for the outsider who watched us, bound and quiet. I had questions, but the celebration grounds were prepared just outside of the village in a clearing where food and drink readied. The sound of music was in the air and the revelry contagious. I told my father my dreams of traveling the Core. He shook his head, despite his apparent illness he seemed vigorous and strong. “A rolling stone gathers no moss,” the old man repeated the adage, “Family is all. Boy, there’s nothing for us out there.” He was wrong, there was far more out there than this ancient wood. I knew one day I’d see it all.

The villager elders called us forth to give an offering to the gods once more before the auspices of winter. In ceremony and ritual, the augur disemboweled a wolf and gazed into its entrails. The flight of distant birds was observed. There was a shift in the air as the outsider was taken to the center as the crowd looked on. Uncle Audry protested alone. I nearly spoke up, but my father’s stare silenced me. He knew I agreed, it was not the time to be sentimental. The druids took the outsider and trapped him inside the effigy to be burned. He was an offering to the gods so the forests would be full of game, the harvests would remain strong. Before long, a stoic silence contrasted between the screams of a dying man. The outsider would not be missed, Hope’s End’s peculiar neighbors in Upwich would not utter a word of it. The death also satisfied the wicked spirits of the de Boistribue Family manor, rumor of the lycanthrope's curse there cowed us in terror. Audry turned away. They told me it was the day he gave up on his humanity, the eccentric druid lost his faith in humanity and went to live among the beasts for good.There was a certain allure for some and it was the last I saw of him, but all I could think of was the screaming. “There’s nothing for us out there.”

The next spring would be plenty.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 03:47:10 PM by Chaoshawk »
"In all chaos there is a cosmos, in all disorder a secret order."

Chaoshawk

• Dark Power
The Nightmare
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 11:24:30 PM »
February 775

I shall find no rest.

A request from the man of the Long Death. He sought a guide through the mist and I did not heed the Vistani's omens.

It was to be a simple journey through the Mists. We have done this before, but I was comfortable. Complacent. The grinning skull shrouded in robes stared at us, gleeful and hateful in equal measure. It entrapped us, bid us find the Ezrites it hated and craved. The omen reminded us of the albatross around our necks. The cage was sprung and there would be no light to follow. No stars to guide us.

I began to advance on this jailor, but fear choked me. Could we even defeat it? What if I remain in this cage? What if she were trapped here forever? I would not do that to her at any cost. When those guided by the lost shepherd were found, it was inevitable. The fear spread like a pestilence and infected all within the cave. The dragon drew their ire and the anchorite spoke her words of power. Fire came and brought death not only to us but to those she once guided. The fog settled around my mind. Instincts seized me, the next moments were a blur. Anticipation. Claws and teeth rend their flesh, I tasted their blood and smelled their fear. Hunger. I listened to the blood-curdling screams as the predator tore its prey to pieces. Excitement. My fear and panic lessened at each went still. Triumph. My teeth sunk into the anchorite, her flesh melting into my jaws. Victory. I felt the thrill and it was terrifying.

I stopped and watched the crimson water, the dozen lying accusingly, faces of death staring out in the abject terror I felt within. The woman’s head dangled by threads of sinew. Threads cut by teeth as the hunter wrestled free from his quarry. Still, in the moment of the hunt, I saw the survivors -- children and a frightened father. I at their mother’s remains and retched.

The pause was an eternity. I broke my taboo once more. I needed to help them escape this cage. I opened my mouth, but I was not kind. I barked harsh orders and bid them follow me with a veiled threat. I thought I would lead them to freedom, but the grinning skull greeted us once more. It took the survivors and watched me. I watched. She cried for me to save them. But it was the only way to save her from this cage. Her life was worth more than theirs. He took them, and I felt hollow. There was no worse feeling than to lose her.

I accused the pale snake. It was his fault, not mine. I said it again and She agreed. The voices laughed. I could not shake off the dark intrusions that I relished the kill. As I wiped prey’s blood off my face, I knew I had no fault.

I awoke, but the nightmare did not end.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 03:47:26 PM by Chaoshawk »

Chaoshawk

• Dark Power
Re: A rolling stone gathers no moss - Creighton Norville
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 06:39:44 PM »
August 775

I am angry.

The Nightsisters are a blight. Yet, the true parasites are those who enable them. Some did not seek their destruction, but their redemption? There is no redemption for such wretched abominations. They use our empathy against us.

It is known the bodies of the vampire continuously taint the souls unfortunate enough to be tied to the corpse. Filled with the dark energies that reanimate them and cause them to desire blood from living creatures especially from people, these monsters should know no mercy nor pity. Yet, sympathy for their past lives blinded some and the game these von Khorvich utilized to toy with their prey's emotions worked quite well. In this, there is no compromise.

Disturbingly, many became willing prey by offering their blood to these vampires. One of these degenerates was a druid called Rosemary who fell from her path. I sought her end to remove the black mark they left by supplicating herself to these deranged monsters. Worse yet, others have come to willingly feed these creatures. I spent years hunting with those of Vallaki to show them the dangers, to teach them how to survive, and some turn and show themselves to be mere prey for the creatures of the night.

I wasted my time, they are worthless. Mere food for the beasts and unworthy of their lives. Their actions will cost others.

Do they not see this or do they not care?

I joined the Wayfarer Kinship seeking to balance out evil with righteousness and to protect the innocent. Also, redemption for my sins. Out of spite, I consumed the hunter in the form of a beast. Out of fear, I sacrificed the lives of those children to save my beloved. The screams of the dead haunt me and yet, I still move forward. Yet, what is right is hard to place when the monsters I hunt hide behind their willing prey who consider themselves 'friends' to the very hunters who hunt the beasts they aid. With such willing prey, our quarry would always have plenty and the false promise of peace by offering oneself to feeding was a foolish ploy to fall into. Time and again the fools among us would take the word of these Night Sisters and their shallow appeals to empathy for their condition and slavery.

Their choice is to greet the morning sun. Others disagree, yet there are those who willingly aid these wretched abominations. They are no better and must be slain. I suffer no necromancer live. Each thrall to be returned to the earth. Those who might know me as kind may be shocked, but there is no greater kindness than ending those tainted by evil so that those who are innocent may survive.

This Kinship plagued by infighting and insufferable indifference or lack of cooperation from others. Were only more driven and magnetic like Giles. If only more were righteous as Faustus. If only more were as compassionate Yueshen. If only more were as gentle as Bardia. If only we were more than an indecisive rabble.

Why did I join the Wayfarer Kinship? Redemption or to escape the past and hope no one ever discovered who I could be. Sometimes I feel like I lied to Iridni Ren when I didn't tell her my whole story. When I look at the Kinship's oath, I realize I no longer belong. The Kinship would think of mercy, understanding, and unity. I did not trust Nix and Asariel who stood eerily silent even at our sacred druidic communions. I did not trust the Christian Order who were as likely to fall on their own blade as help us in this fight.

I realize how harshly I judge others for their perceived faults when I have my own, but I can no longer tolerate such compromise nor can I look at those who aid these monsters without thought of my ending their lives. I have finally realized.

I do not belong. I'm sorry Giles, you are a better man. You understand people better than I ever will.

I leave for the wilds and I do not know if I shall ever return.

Farewell.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 06:44:56 PM by Chaoshawk »