Author Topic: The Passage of Time  (Read 644 times)

bloodless

• The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • ?
The Passage of Time
« on: January 09, 2021, 03:51:32 PM »
Of course I know that demons exist, filling up their nine Hells and some times spilling out to trouble the mortal realm. It was one of the first stories my mother used to scare me with as a child, more than fifty winters ago. Even here, I've heard they crawl in some far off desert where they jealously guard fallen lumps of sky metal, and that some years back a pack of them attacked Vallaki, burning down the Lady's Rest in the fighting. The girl told us one of the fiends was down below the temple, menacing her brother and so we prepared as best we could for it, it wasn't a surprise. It shouldn't have been. I know all this, and yet to see it with my own two eyes...

Not a day goes by that I don't wonder what it is I'm doing here, did the mists have a reason for snatching me when they did? Idle thoughts, and so far they haven't stopped me from placing one step after the other, but the journey is becoming increasingly bewildering, with no signs of things getting any better. Though I suppose I was walking to my grave, so who am I to complain? Could very well have refused the militia draft on account of old age, and no one would have blamed me. But I couldn't stand the thought of another winter in the house, so empty for so very long. Athaulf, my old folks named me. Father of wolves. Their way of blessing me, I suppose, with their hopes and dreams. It was not to be.

With the old maille poorly fitting and the best sword our smith could hammer out on short notice, I was on my way. Nothing close to the blades of legend, after all the man mostly deals in horse shoes and barrels, but decent enough for my means and ends. It was along the way to the mustering grounds that the mists fell and I lost my way, turned around in a fog which barely let me see a step in front of my own nose. I imagine I must have passed out somehow though I do not remember laying down, for the next thing I knew I was by what I now know is a Vistani camp, nursing a splitting headache. I remember the early days as a jumble of impressions, having to quickly get used to so many new things, and Gods only know where I would have ended up had the first few folk I ran into not been decent and kind. It hurts to think that one of them no longer remembers me, more so than I would have thought. And what has become of me? Some days it is difficult to trace how I've changed, other days it startles me. Earlier today a near-panicked girl caught me on the road, asking for aid for her fallen friends in a nearby cave. Turns out they'd run into hobgoblins, big ones too. One of them spotted me on entry and rushed with a war cry, but just as he was about to come within measure, I saw fear overtake him, and he ran for dear life. Was it the demon's scent he caught still clinging to me from the night before? Wolves have been avoiding me as well.

We met the brother down in the crypts, alive and well. I'd seen him before, one of the folks that serve in the Morninglord's temple in the outskirts. With him in tow we rushed towards where the demon was, and it was like a haze fell over my eyes when I saw those horns, those massive wings...

Some days are slow, uneventful, with little more than the rain for company. I complain about it, but it is for its own sake. How could anything in this land compare to the stillness of the past twenty winters, stuck in the mud and barely looking forward to more than the meal after a day's work? Were-beasts, necromancers and death knights, shades and vampires, mountains shaking, news of dragons somewhere far away - how could any this ever become so normal that it could be boring?

It seems that I'm easy to talk to, and it's not like I have to pretend to be interested in others either, not when everyone has such wild tales to tell. That has helped me get more or less settled in, here in the outskirts of Vallaki, and venturing out towards the mists. Made plenty of acquaintances, more than I can even remember some times. Good people, for the most part, or at least that's how it seems to me. Some of them important, well connected. Some I would even call friends. That empty, numb feeling seems to have loosened its grip on me somewhat, though if that is to be for good or simply the shock of it all still lingering, only time will tell. Time? How much of it do I even have left, in this land where danger lurks behind every corner. In some ways I feel like I'm playing at a young man again, but it is also true that last I remember being in this good a shape was a lifetime ago... It will be what will be, I suppose, and it is for the Lord of the Dead to be sorting the rest afterwards. I can't imagine it will be too long either way, the way my blood boils some times and I just can't help myself being reckless. Foolish even.

I swung for it with my newly made poleax but before the blade could rend its flesh, the fiend snatched it right out of my hands. I could swear that it was laughing at me. I always carry a spare - the first sword I got in these lands, treated with silver, and on any other day I would have drawn that to continue the fight. Instead, what I ended up doing was swinging at the thing with my bare fists, and even this I had to be told after the fact, for I did not understand it as it was happening. Neither that, nor that a second demon had joined its brother, not until both lay dead on the floor in pools of their own cursed blood. And all I felt gazing at that grisly sight was a deep, grim satisfaction, before wrenching my lost weapon free.

bloodless

• The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • ?
Re: The Passage of Time
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 08:56:42 AM »
All you really have is the next moment. And every moment is special - every smile, every waterfall and every clear night sky is the most beautiful thing you've ever seen. Even the way the snow falls is beautiful and that's one of the many things trying to kill me.

In all this beauty lies tragedy too, for at the end of this journey of survival always, inevitably, death awaits. A fundamentally sad and lonely experience. Everything - from the warmth of the fire in front of me to the finely cooked meal that is my dinner - carries a touch of foreboding because it won't last. Sooner or later, we all have to return to the wild outdoors, whatever shape they might take. And one day, my time will run out too.

This feeling is a sort of dread I have not felt even in the face of the darkest monsters, for it lingers long after danger has passed. It submerges everything else, envelops the totality of your existence, and forces you to live inside it. In these moments of reflection I find comfort in the dogma of the one God I ever felt kinship to. Within that dread there's an acceptance of your inevitable demise and the understanding that your task is not to conquer death - only to hold it off for however long you can, until the hour comes. And to find whatever pleasures you can in the time you have.

If life was a game, the goal wouldn't be to win - death always wins. What, then, would be the purpose of playing? To accept that winning is beside the point. To enjoy the game as best you can while it lasts. To try your best to play well, and to learn something about yourself from your decisions and your mistakes. Death can sneak up on you, whether you're ready or not and if it does, it's not a personal failure on your part.

We're all just doing what we can. Surviving. And when we fade away, everything will go on without us. But we don't have to be morose about it. We might not be able to win the game, but we can let that knowledge inspire us to play well in the time we have. Because there's only one life to live.

bloodless

• The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • ?
Re: The Passage of Time
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 02:00:22 PM »
Who would you be if you had everything stripped from you? Would you cower in fear? Would you be brave? Would you adapt quickly, or fail to? What's left after we take away everything we think makes us who we are? Almost nothing.

Yet I have come to believe that the pursuit of that state is desirable, noble even. There is something romantic about it. I may be just a speck on the landscape, but isn't there something freeing about that? In nature, I find a place to re-connect with myself, to meditate on my place in the world. Immersed in countrysides and rugged landscapes I find new insights: a renewed appreciation of simple pleasures, a rejection of greed, a reckoning with past mistakes and regrets, a realisation that everything is connected and it's the little things in life that matter.

It is the little things that make up my entire existence: a useful tool, a simple bed, a warm fire. Out here in nature, away from the distractions of society, I can re-discover myself, my real, authentic self. I can face the terror of death and realise how alive I am. I can look around me and see that life is nothing but the next decision, the next moment, the next feeling. Right now, right after reading my words, what will you do? Read another book? Seek out the latest news? Go back to work? Don't bother, it's a trap. When's the last time you were struck cold by the wonder and terror of the universе? Why not take a minute now? Put down this journal, step outside and look up. Peel back the curtain and let yourself peek into that beautiful, terrible vastness. You won't get a hero's journey or an epic quest, just a small story about yourself. About the now, about everyday decisions right here, in the shadow of all that brilliant, terrifying unknown. Because what else is there but right now?