You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: New Dungeon Feedback Wanted  (Read 5414 times)

Vissy

• Dark Lord
Re: New Dungeon Feedback Wanted
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2021, 05:42:13 AM »
Is the trivial-status a terrible thing? I would almost see it as a QoL improvement. Crafting already takes a long time to practice, so materials may as well not be incredibly difficult to find.

Yes and no. Rough parity with the other har’akir dungeon which offers radiant varnish ingredients would be good. For the quality of everyone, we wouldn’t want people running Thoth all the time because they’re all-but guaranteed Archmage Brains, because the spawn would constantly be tanked.

It’s an oversight on my part, so I’ll fix it so they only appear at high spawn. Like with Anubis.

In other good news, I’ve made quality-of-life and a little spit and polish changes to the Blightwood, and I’ve fixed a bug/oversight that was causing Barbed Tentacles to do about twice as much damage with their Manticore Spikes than I was intending.

That's a good explanation, thank you.

And I look forward to running the Blightwood again once the changes are live! By Barbed Tentacles, you mean the Thrashing Root mobs?
Active Character: Heir Andarateia, Lia Lanthaloran
Other Character(s): Gilraine Alean'ani
Shelved Character(s): Vinyafael Yavanna, Callistrae Dawnshadow, Vika van Voytz
Closured Character(s): Rakel Leviken, Celeste Seifert

DM Erebus

• Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2021, 08:05:46 AM »
Barbed Tentacles in Blaustein. I don’t think the Thrashing Roots have any manticore spikes uses, but I’ll check. All the secret doors in the Blightwood are functioning properly though, and I made some changes to the movement and resistances\immunities of Choking Cinder Fungus so they’re now not basically invulnerable.

Vissy

• Dark Lord
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2021, 08:46:42 AM »
Barbed Tentacles in Blaustein. I don’t think the Thrashing Roots have any manticore spikes uses, but I’ll check. All the secret doors in the Blightwood are functioning properly though, and I made some changes to the movement and resistances\immunities of Choking Cinder Fungus so they’re now not basically invulnerable.

That's strange - we spent several minutes just looking for entrances to all of the hidden places, but they were either not in obvious places or we must have somehow missed them. How about the one at the entrance to the swamp section, the one where we saw the notice of 'found a hidden something' but didn't see the entrance itself?
Active Character: Heir Andarateia, Lia Lanthaloran
Other Character(s): Gilraine Alean'ani
Shelved Character(s): Vinyafael Yavanna, Callistrae Dawnshadow, Vika van Voytz
Closured Character(s): Rakel Leviken, Celeste Seifert

DM Erebus

• Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2021, 12:43:17 PM »

That's strange - we spent several minutes just looking for entrances to all of the hidden places, but they were either not in obvious places or we must have somehow missed them. How about the one at the entrance to the swamp section, the one where we saw the notice of 'found a hidden something' but didn't see the entrance itself?

Yeah that one was broken. I'd swapped the location and destination waypoints, whoops.

For the others, I suspect you were looking in the wrong places. It might help to imagine how the West and East areas connect, there's a seam thst runs right down the middle. You would be able to cross from the West to the East with a little help from a hidden tunnel..

MatticusCaesar

• Dark Power
  • Beware the Hinvasion!
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2021, 01:21:30 AM »
Just delved into the new Har'Akir dungeon this evening in a party of four characters.
It's got at least a little bit of everything to interest many different character types, and is delightful. 

It looks great, too - really authentic feel to the place.

If I had any criticism, it might be the lack of ambient music that exists in some of the other Har'Akiri ruins and tombs?  Maybe I just didn't notice it or it was too soft?

Suggestion: Don't spoil it for new people and play "tour guide" if you've already visited and insist on going through with them - let the first-time visitors drive the adventure.  Half the wonder of the place is the discovery and that "I have no idea where I'm supposed to go" sensation that slows you right down to a terrified crawl.  Yes, it will take a lot longer, but it will also be much more satisfying.
Currently Playing:
Conner o'Clan Cunningham, Cando Weaselbite

On the sidelines but ready for action:
Tychon Corynian, Bjarna Blitzthorn, Remo Fenberry, Yerrith Greenstone, Gryllus Athens, Pristi Feld

Revenant

• Noot Noot
  • Dark Lord
  • Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2021, 01:23:25 AM »
There is definitely custom/ambient music (and ambient chanting noises aside) but I know it doesn't always fire. I believe some of it may be related to new resources from the most recent premium modules? Uncertain. It's been playing for me the last times I've been there, and seemed very fitting and thematic. This as someone who typically keeps the ingame music muted.
Vicerimus Mortem.

Lexica

• Red Vardo Traders Front
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2021, 05:40:42 PM »
Just did the Burnt Farmhouse with a group of five level 2 characters. It was insanely fun. Incredible props to you Cosmic for how well designed that dungeon is.
Michelle Anciaux

HM01

• Undead Master
  • The Department of Gnomeland Security
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2021, 10:31:33 PM »
After running the Temple of Thoth a few times*, I think the loot table could probably use an adjustment. It is visually and thematically the most superior dungeon in the whole domain, but the loot that is dropping is very consistent - "rare" amulets and har akir drops seem to be close to a guarantee.

Just an observation, easily my favorite dungeon in the domain but I think the drop table is worth a glance.

DM Erebus

• Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2021, 04:29:02 AM »
After running the Temple of Thoth a few times*, I think the loot table could probably use an adjustment. It is visually and thematically the most superior dungeon in the whole domain, but the loot that is dropping is very consistent - "rare" amulets and har akir drops seem to be close to a guarantee.

Just an observation, easily my favorite dungeon in the domain but I think the drop table is worth a glance.

By rare Har'Akir drops I presume you mean Red Scarabs and Bar'ethels.
They're only rare because they're in the Har'akir Benevolent treasury, which was only used in Harvest until Thoth.
Har'Akir Sinister, conversely, is used in Anubis and Hotep.

So, as it stands now, the distribution of loot tables is balanced across Har'Akir with 2-2 on the main dungeons. I have brought balance.

Harvest, being the weakest of the Har'Akir dungeons, has the lowest chance of spitting out something good. Thoth is between Anubis and Hotep in difficulty, so of course it's going to churn out higher-valued rewards. Encounter CR drives chest value, that's just how it works.

And isn't a party walking away from a dungeon with at least one piece of good loot the ideal? I hate doing a dungeon and getting nothing but vendor trash. It's not like Thoth is a breeze to run with a full party, nor is it easy to cheeseloot or ninja.

I'm glad that it reliably produces commensurate reward for its difficulty and the time it takes to do.

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2021, 04:46:25 AM »
I think we're just so used to really bad loot that we assume it is a design decision that the party walks away with one piece of good loot one in every five or ten dungeons. We probably have so much vendor trash because the negatives are too steep to consider the weight of swapping it on when you need it, unless you're already a rich high level with a dozen magic bags.

If I recall, the loot in Thoth has been nerfed already. I think it feels fine where it is now, but it's hard to tell with so much randomness in the loot table.

I also think it's a top 3 dungeon, across the whole module, as far as general design goes.
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

HopeIsTheCarrot

• Dark Lord
  • Discord: HopeIsTheCarrot #5147
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2021, 07:16:33 AM »

They're only rare because they're in the Har'akir Benevolent treasury, which was only used in Harvest until Thoth.

So, as it stands now, the distribution of loot tables is balanced across Har'Akir with 2-2 on the main dungeons. I have brought balance.

Harvest, being the weakest of the Har'Akir dungeons, has the lowest chance of spitting out something good. Thoth is between Anubis and Hotep in difficulty, so of course it's going to churn out higher-valued rewards. Encounter CR drives chest value, that's just how it works.

And isn't a party walking away from a dungeon with at least one piece of good loot the ideal? I hate doing a dungeon and getting nothing but vendor trash. It's not like Thoth is a breeze to run with a full party, nor is it easy to cheeseloot or ninja.

I'm glad that it reliably produces commensurate reward for its difficulty and the time it takes to do.

In this case I would counter that the Benevolent Treasury is far superior to the Sinister Treasury. In all the countless times I’ve cleared Hotep on Max spawn, I’ve never found anything as good as the items I’ve found in Harvest & Thoth on max spawn (in considerably fewer attempts). I love the Thoth dungeon but have to agree with the original poster, it seems out of balance. If Thoth is representative of what the loot is intended to look like across the server, then Sinister Treasury needs a boost. As well as whatever treasury the ruined church in Ghastria runs on. 20 runs at the ruined church on Max spawn produces pitiful loot compared to 20 runs at 5-10 dungeons of similar CR across different domains. I tend not to complain too much about the loot dynamics on this server, as the dungeons are otherwise outstanding.

HM01

• Undead Master
  • The Department of Gnomeland Security
« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2021, 07:28:00 AM »

Spoiler: show
Eyes of Ra, and Greater Amulet of Mask were what I was seeing regular enough in my meager samples  was what made me scratch my chin. I'm sure its just a perception issue or just chance then. I truly think the dungeon is great and I've never felt under-rewarded for attempting it.  The atmosphere alone is it's own reward. 

I think we're just so used to really bad loot that we assume it is a design decision that the party walks away with one piece of good loot one in every five or ten dungeons. We probably have so much vendor trash because the negatives are too steep to consider the weight of swapping it on when you need it, unless you're already a rich high level with a dozen magic bags.

I slightly agree. I don't think we've been conditioned necessarily - and its not even about trash. The conversation probably ends with community suggestions for more thematic har akir table items (if I can think of any, I'll certainly try and pitch them). I also definitely agree with your tier listing putting it in the top 3, it's a grand slam and it deserves praise.

Wild Thing

• New to the Mists
« Reply #62 on: October 11, 2022, 11:19:49 PM »
I tried out the Wasp dungeon with a group and thought it was cool with all the respawns that made it more challenging alongside the poison. The group was between 5-6 with 4 people with neutralize poison and attribute and AC spells to help us fight between 28-35 AC with a bear druid tanking. The bolt attacks hit for 20-25 damage each and they spam it once you get inside that makes it possibly a death trap. I think having them spawn further back inside would make it less punishing if a group is not prepared since they do spawn just before the door. I am unsure whether to say to nerf the bolt itself, it adds a new challenge inside alongside the floor traps. The spawning on the roof plus the bolt attacks make it very difficult at level 6 and I am too ignorant to know if it was top or low spawn. Overall a fun dungeon, if tough at that level with good experience, two-three 'prouds' points for the challenge.
Active - Vespasian Astafei - Shadowy Druid
Inactive - Basilio Popovici - Heterodox Home Faith Warden

Folly

• Outlander
« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2023, 04:05:09 AM »
I'm only necro-ing this thread because its a dungeon feedback and started by Cosmic and this is one of his dungeons im pretty sure.
I know its not a balance issue.
Just a map texture thing. The floor remains black until you open the "hanging cloth" door.
If you are picky about dungeon polish, then here ya go.

In the section with the mechanical enemy.

Wilkins1952

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Lord
  • For good to win evil must do nothing
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2023, 12:14:44 PM »
I'm only necro-ing this thread because its a dungeon feedback and started by Cosmic and this is one of his dungeons im pretty sure.
Just a map texture thing. The floor remains black until you open the "hanging cloth" door.

Pretty sure this is a tileset issue, Same thing happens with the Vallaki Sewers towards the Drain and a few places around the server. Not much to do to fix it sadly.
"Its like watching people walk up to the line for "Be excellent to each other" and seeing how far they can spit across it." -GMNO

cheese tornado

« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2023, 12:26:02 PM »

Pretty sure this is a tileset issue, Same thing happens with the Vallaki Sewers towards the Drain and a few places around the server. Not much to do to fix it sadly.
This occurs in a section of the flooded Scrag Tunnels in Barovia too, and in a couple of other secret locations. I think it might have something to do with your graphics hardware? Because it doesn't do it on my laptop, and that has a 3050, whereas my poor desktop is only a 1060 (but upgrading to a 3070 next week!) I will report in if there are any changes!

stefan pall

• Outlander
« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2023, 05:00:04 AM »
I'm going to start by saying I think the Burnt Farmouse is THE best dungeon in the game, in my opinion. 
It challenges PCs of the appropriate level by putting them up against a horde of high AC enemies that die in one hit but hit often for the lowest possible damage. It's a perfect introduction to what players can expect to see in many dungeons moving forward as their character progresses and moves on to greater challenges by making them navigate mobs of enemies, traps and tough boss enemies. I just recently got to check it out with all the enemies present and think that the two big enemies in the dungeon are awesome, especially the boss. As a level 2 or 3 PC, it's a perfectly challenging dungeon that rewards players a good amount of coins for clearing it so there's an alternative to running deliveries to afford cheap gear. I really, really think this dungeon sets the bar for content in the game, especially with that flavor text and music change to set the mood.

Now I'm going to flip-flop and say I think the Blaustein Tentacle dungeon might be the worst.
It's extremely challenging even for high-ish level PCs, with wave after wave of high hp + high damage enemies with the ability to tap your entire party including backline fighters for consistent damage that really adds up as the fights drag on. The length of the tentacle fights are mostly the issue with the dungeon I think, because after a point it just becomes a slog. This dungeon is unironically harder than the temple in Perfidus, but the loot is really not reflective of that in my experience. I do love the idea though.

Absolutely not.
Perfidus temple - you can die only trying to get there 10 times.

Blaustein with the right equipment and knowledge is an absolute cakewalk that all decent high levels run WAY TOO MUCH due to how short and rewarding it is - both loot and XP.

I don't think that should be toned down one bit, if anything maybe bumped up.

Zyemeth

• Undead Master
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2023, 11:07:09 AM »
I'm going to start by saying I think the Burnt Farmouse is THE best dungeon in the game, in my opinion. 
It challenges PCs of the appropriate level by putting them up against a horde of high AC enemies that die in one hit but hit often for the lowest possible damage. It's a perfect introduction to what players can expect to see in many dungeons moving forward as their character progresses and moves on to greater challenges by making them navigate mobs of enemies, traps and tough boss enemies. I just recently got to check it out with all the enemies present and think that the two big enemies in the dungeon are awesome, especially the boss. As a level 2 or 3 PC, it's a perfectly challenging dungeon that rewards players a good amount of coins for clearing it so there's an alternative to running deliveries to afford cheap gear. I really, really think this dungeon sets the bar for content in the game, especially with that flavor text and music change to set the mood.

Now I'm going to flip-flop and say I think the Blaustein Tentacle dungeon might be the worst.
It's extremely challenging even for high-ish level PCs, with wave after wave of high hp + high damage enemies with the ability to tap your entire party including backline fighters for consistent damage that really adds up as the fights drag on. The length of the tentacle fights are mostly the issue with the dungeon I think, because after a point it just becomes a slog. This dungeon is unironically harder than the temple in Perfidus, but the loot is really not reflective of that in my experience. I do love the idea though.

Absolutely not.
Perfidus temple - you can die only trying to get there 10 times.

Blaustein with the right equipment and knowledge is an absolute cakewalk that all decent high levels run WAY TOO MUCH due to how short and rewarding it is - both loot and XP.

I don't think that should be toned down one bit, if anything maybe bumped up.
I agree that shipwreck is fine. I duo'd it as a rogue/fighter level 13 with only a bard. No wizard or cleric in sight. Was a challenge for sure but it's by no means more dangerous than perfidus

DM Erebus

• Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2023, 01:41:26 PM »
Guys the quote from cavecrawler is from 2020 when the Barbed Tentacles had the wrong version of Manticore Spikes.

Maffa

• Dark Power
« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2023, 04:34:16 PM »
I have some problems highlighting the trap and door by the walls of Naillat's mansion because the gargoile gets often in the way. I need to zoom all the way in in order to interact with the trap especially because if I misclick I'm ded...

Character List:

Marph - Closured
Marius Rucescu - Closured
Romeo Lascaris - Closured