You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: New Dungeon Feedback Wanted  (Read 5409 times)

Vissy

• Dark Lord
Re: New Dungeon Feedback Wanted
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2020, 05:11:46 AM »
You're right. I've found the problem and corrected it. Basically, the dice roll was defaulting to a D0, which makes hitting the DC a little tricky if you have less than 10 Tumble..
You'll now get feedback on the check being made, which is good. On the downside, something else seems to have gone awry with the balance transitions.. a little fade-in-fade-out VFX is supposed to play, and you're meant to take a little damage and a KD if you fail. This is working on my version, but not in the module version because the implementation of the transition placeables changed a little. I don't really know what the problem is, but I suspect it's got to do with the underlying script system. TLDR: I'll ask EO and Soren to have a look. Bottom line, the slippery log transitions will work, just without the bells and whistles. Which is good enough for now.

I've also adjusted the entry room of the wasps to make it less ambush nasty. And the lore placeables will now work properly too! Same problem as above, defaulting to D0, not D20.

Excellent! The rest of the dungeon felt very flavorful and fun, it really /felt/ like trudging through a blighted magical swamp. I look forward to doing that dungeon again on my ranger.
Active Character: Heir Andarateia, Lia Lanthaloran
Other Character(s): Gilraine Alean'ani
Shelved Character(s): Vinyafael Yavanna, Callistrae Dawnshadow, Vika van Voytz
Closured Character(s): Rakel Leviken, Celeste Seifert

Crowl

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2020, 12:32:51 PM »
Blightwood: The dungeon seems alright and it has a very good aesthetic and concept, I did not manage to finish it however due to the log. Nonetheless in the first portion of the dungeon there seem to be 'Invisible walls' of a sort when you are walking about, starting when you're approaching the ramp to go to the elevated area. This makes it difficult because despite it being flat and empty terrain your character cannot walk through it as it keeps being held back by some kind of invisible force-field and you have to try to figure out where it ends, so you can skitter along it's edge so you don't trigger the traps right next to it.

Something similar happens when you have to move past the other traps that come next, on the way to the log. There are some invisible walls or obstacles in the way that like bumps in the way, there's nothing there and yet you must slide around it.

The Burnt House: Nothing to add here, I thought this dungeon was fantastic to low levels, it felt worthwhile and challenging. Didn't manage to finish it to the very end but even the traps seem like a fantastic introduction to the server.
Playing: Maeldwen Erynaedh/Irach

DM Erebus

• Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2020, 01:36:58 AM »
Blightwood: The dungeon seems alright and it has a very good aesthetic and concept, I did not manage to finish it however due to the log. Nonetheless in the first portion of the dungeon there seem to be 'Invisible walls' of a sort when you are walking about, starting when you're approaching the ramp to go to the elevated area. This makes it difficult because despite it being flat and empty terrain your character cannot walk through it as it keeps being held back by some kind of invisible force-field and you have to try to figure out where it ends, so you can skitter along it's edge so you don't trigger the traps right next to it.

Something similar happens when you have to move past the other traps that come next, on the way to the log. There are some invisible walls or obstacles in the way that like bumps in the way, there's nothing there and yet you must slide around it.

The Burnt House: Nothing to add here, I thought this dungeon was fantastic to low levels, it felt worthwhile and challenging. Didn't manage to finish it to the very end but even the traps seem like a fantastic introduction to the server.

If you could get me some screenshots with the minimap in them of the problem spots, I can have a proper look.

Ashbringer85

• New to the Mists
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2020, 04:47:22 AM »
Burnt House - It feels very easy with a group that has a rogue when i first went through with a group we were never really threatened. However without a rogue the traps are extremely dangerous..i got hit for 27 damage in a place there were two traps next to each other and died this is understandable as I was level 3 but a few minutes later another guy came through and got my body only to be hit for 46 damage from a trap and he died too and he was level 6+.

While traps are part of the game, I find it them plain annoying when they are hitting so hard you die instantly or get so close to dying instantly the next hit will down you. Keep in mind the dart throwers have 11 AB and normals have 5 AB...chances are you will not be going through this dungeon on full h/p all the time without a healer.

Nezmith

• Outlander
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2020, 08:48:08 AM »
I'm not sure if you got those screenshots for Blightwood, but I picked up a couple to help verify the problem areas if possible

Spoiler: show

First image shows the problem area in red. There is a discernible line in the terrain connecting the slope to the flat ground and that appears to be the full extent of what is blocking players' paths. There is also a particular issue in this area which causes players and NPCs to float high in the air around the problem area, shown in this next screenshot.

I circled my summon in pink in the upper right hand area of the screenshot to show what it looks like. I've seen this happen twice now, once with my pet and the second time with a player who somehow got stuck over the tree on that ledge that I've circled in red.

I hope this helps somewhat if you didn't get enough information, and I can go back to clarify anything if needed.

DM Erebus

• Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2020, 10:59:50 AM »
That's super helpful, thankyou. I'll have a look at making that ramp up a tile wider. It might just move the tileset jank around, but it would at least give a little more room to maneuover.

DottorJergal

• New to the Mists
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2020, 01:42:45 PM »
Burnt House - It feels very easy with a group that has a rogue when i first went through with a group we were never really threatened. However without a rogue the traps are extremely dangerous..i got hit for 27 damage in a place there were two traps next to each other and died this is understandable as I was level 3 but a few minutes later another guy came through and got my body only to be hit for 46 damage from a trap and he died too and he was level 6+.

While traps are part of the game, I find it them plain annoying when they are hitting so hard you die instantly or get so close to dying instantly the next hit will down you. Keep in mind the dart throwers have 11 AB and normals have 5 AB...chances are you will not be going through this dungeon on full h/p all the time without a healer.

I'm that guy who come later. If is necessary, i've the screenshot of the trap damage. I quote enterily Ashbringer85.

Crowl

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2020, 11:02:45 AM »
That's super helpful, thankyou. I'll have a look at making that ramp up a tile wider. It might just move the tileset jank around, but it would at least give a little more room to maneuover.

In addition to the screenshots provided by Nezmith it also happens here, making you have to skirt really close to the traps as though some invisible obstacle was on the way

DM Erebus

• Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2020, 12:05:53 PM »
Brill. I've widened that ramp and shifted the trap a little so you get more of a turning circle.

I should say thst you don't have to shifty around the triggers, the intended solution is
you shoot out the launchers

DM Erebus

• Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2020, 01:39:53 AM »
Aight these changes are now in effect, have at it.

gotesu

• The Wayfarer Kinship
  • Undead Master
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2020, 02:26:31 AM »
Regarding the blighted forest

First thing - wanted to say it's an amazing dungeon, really, and as a player I want to thank you for putting so much thought and originality into it!

A couple of things concerning it:

a - there is one hidden passage which does not seem to have a way in, as shown in the screenie

b - if Im not mistaken, all of the unique critters in the dungeon lack a description, I think adding descriptions would help promote the atmosphere of the dungeon quite a bit.

thanks alot!

BwpsychoName

• Dark Power
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2020, 02:11:37 PM »
Minor thing in the Blighted Wood dungeon, the circled area can be walked through.

Probably one of my new favorite dungeons, thank you!

Crowl

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2020, 03:51:59 PM »
Brill. I've widened that ramp and shifted the trap a little so you get more of a turning circle.

I should say thst you don't have to shifty around the triggers, the intended solution is

The launcher seemed to be damage resistant (To arrows) and survived fireballs as well

DM Erebus

• Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2020, 04:28:52 AM »
Minor thing in the Blighted Wood dungeon, the circled area can be walked through.

Probably one of my new favorite dungeons, thank you!

Thanks, I’ll give it a shifty.

The launcher seemed to be damage resistant (To arrows) and survived fireballs as well

I’ll revise down the hardness and HP of the launchers. They are only plants, afterall.

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2020, 08:06:36 PM »
Just checked out the burnt farmhouse. What a great starter dungeon. It's well rounded, provides a fair challenge for a small (2-4 players) party, and the loot is very rewarding.

If anything, the loot needs to be a little less great, because higher levels might come and wreck the spawn just for cash. The amount of money you can make doing this dungeon is comparable to what you might find in dungeons 5 levels higher in practice, though a level 7 would just demolish the place.

Otherwise I would not want to see this dungeon change at all. It is a great little crawl that doesn't take too long and its rewards/XP feel like a real, tangible boost to a character that's just getting started.
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

tylernwn

• Dark Lord
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2020, 01:27:49 PM »
Just checked out the burnt farmhouse. What a great starter dungeon. It's well rounded, provides a fair challenge for a small (2-4 players) party, and the loot is very rewarding.

If anything, the loot needs to be a little less great, because higher levels might come and wreck the spawn just for cash. The amount of money you can make doing this dungeon is comparable to what you might find in dungeons 5 levels higher in practice, though a level 7 would just demolish the place.

Otherwise I would not want to see this dungeon change at all. It is a great little crawl that doesn't take too long and its rewards/XP feel like a real, tangible boost to a character that's just getting started.

Yeah agreed. The cash reward tends to be in the 200-500 coin range. It should probably be more in the 100-250 range depending on spawn level. I've already seen people crashing this dungeon for the cash rewards.

That said this farmhouse sets the bar for starter dungeon pretty high. Maybe the gremishka cave should get a makeover next, to bring it up to the same level thematically? Maybe as their main base with a nice boarded-up entrance like the silver mines?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 01:33:14 PM by tylernwn »

Vissy

• Dark Lord
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2021, 02:32:22 PM »
Regarding the blighted forest

First thing - wanted to say it's an amazing dungeon, really, and as a player I want to thank you for putting so much thought and originality into it!

A couple of things concerning it:

a - there is one hidden passage which does not seem to have a way in, as shown in the screenie

b - if Im not mistaken, all of the unique critters in the dungeon lack a description, I think adding descriptions would help promote the atmosphere of the dungeon quite a bit.

thanks alot!

Several hidden doors are bugged for instance the screenshotted one here (get the proc for seeing the hidden door but it doesn't appear for anyone)

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2021, 09:51:15 PM »
Several hidden doors are bugged for instance the screenshotted one here (get the proc for seeing the hidden door but it doesn't appear for anyone)

I'll fix this one but can you point where the others are?

DM Erebus

• Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2021, 03:06:29 AM »
No don't! I got a patch for the Blightwood (and a bunch of other stuff) ready.

But yeah if you could tell me which secret doors don't work that'd be good.

Vissy

• Dark Lord
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2021, 05:01:10 AM »

I'll fix this one but can you point where the others are?

All of the others except the first hidden door you encounter seemed to be bugged and weren't even findable. I counted two or three more hidden chests that we could not find the hidden door for.

Hatsune

• Undead Master
  • Ninja-loots Extraordinaire!
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2021, 11:57:07 PM »
Hello, Hijacking this for the newest dungeon feedback.

Just had the joy of running the new Hara'kir temple. Looks great, though was lowest spawn, so look forward to seeing it at higher difficulties!

Just wanted to raise issue with the fact that its dropping Brains of the Archmage, despite being lowest spawn. Might make the canopic jar's something that only spawn at higher levels of difficulty, or not always drop brains (and perhaps they don't? I got 2 for 2, though).

Would hate to see this new dungeon bring high tier alchemy to trivial-status with a huge rush of brains (the same way we had issue with hag hearts when people started just running hags, etc.)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 12:53:04 AM by Hatsune »
Currently Playing:
Ayleese, Slyvan Bardess

DM Erebus

• Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2021, 01:09:10 AM »
Hello, Hijacking this for the newest dungeon feedback.

Just had the joy of running the new Hara'kir temple. Looks great, though was lowest spawn, so look forward to seeing it at higher difficulties!

Just wanted to raise issue with the fact that its dropping Brains of the Archmage, despite being lowest spawn. Might make the canopic jar's something that only spawn at higher levels of difficulty, or not always drop brains (and perhaps they don't? I got 2 for 2, though).

Would hate to see this new dungeon bring high tier alchemy to trivial-status with a huge rush of brains (the same way we had issue with hag hearts when people started just running hags, etc.)

They are already on a % drop, but I could definitely add a minimum threshold for them to spawn too.

Vissy

• Dark Lord
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2021, 03:07:03 AM »
Is the trivial-status a terrible thing? I would almost see it as a QoL improvement. Crafting already takes a long time to practice, so materials may as well not be incredibly difficult to find.

DM Erebus

• Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2021, 05:10:09 AM »
Is the trivial-status a terrible thing? I would almost see it as a QoL improvement. Crafting already takes a long time to practice, so materials may as well not be incredibly difficult to find.

Yes and no. Rough parity with the other har’akir dungeon which offers radiant varnish ingredients would be good. For the quality of everyone, we wouldn’t want people running Thoth all the time because they’re all-but guaranteed Archmage Brains, because the spawn would constantly be tanked.

It’s an oversight on my part, so I’ll fix it so they only appear at high spawn. Like with Anubis.

In other good news, I’ve made quality-of-life and a little spit and polish changes to the Blightwood, and I’ve fixed a bug/oversight that was causing Barbed Tentacles to do about twice as much damage with their Manticore Spikes than I was intending.

Glass Cannon

• Dark Power
  • Friendly Merchant
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2021, 05:27:38 AM »
Frankly we do need more sources of archmage brains if Perf's Temple is now locked behind a plot key (assuming that wasn't a DM event);  True Demonologists were probably the most reliable source because Anubis is often over-mined, and matriarchs are rare indeed.

But yes, limiting it to high spawn makes sense.
"Aristocrats and criminals have a lot in common. They’re both selfish, get bored easily, and have access to wads of cash they didn’t have to work honestly to get. The topper? Neither have any interest in bourgeois rules or morality."