You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Plate weight  (Read 627 times)

Ashbringer85

• New to the Mists
Plate weight
« on: November 12, 2020, 07:59:47 AM »
I bought a steel plate armour with an 80% weight reduction and it still has a weight of 48.0 which seems like a bug to me. I was totally confused how what I had that was so heavy...this explained it!

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
Re: Plate weight
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 08:28:10 AM »
80% of 60 is 48. Not sure what the problem is.

Ashbringer85

• New to the Mists
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 10:53:34 AM »
80% of 60 is 48. Not sure what the problem is.

60 not 50, that's what the problem was. Steel plate normally weighs 50 in D&D and NWN. That's what the problem was because from 50 it makes no sense. However this server changed the rules for plate, didn't know that. I admit I may not know every change Ravenloft has made to the game or the rules so sorry that.

https://nwn.fandom.com/wiki/Full_plate
https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Full_Plate_Armor

« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 10:59:32 AM by Ashbringer85 »

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2020, 03:37:06 PM »
The server has pretty tight stat distributions. One of the ways this affects gameplay and balance is that martials who can afford to spend more points on strength at creation/levelup get to wear heavier lootable gear. Many clerics, even, who have two spells to buff their strength, won't bother using steel, because it technically offers nothing to them unless they gild and there's an enchant bonus they're after.

They're also casters. Like all casters, they don't even really need good equipment to thrive, but it does help and it is noticeable.

On the other hand, it makes a really big difference on a martial who has no spells. They rely on the quality of their equipment and hope for spells from those adventuring with them.

This is a big picture thing that affects everyone. Lootable gear for combat purposes is generally heavier. Only problem is, its bonuses aren't typically better, and even the rarest stuff is only on par with enchanted gear as far as I can tell.

This is all to say that because crafted gear is practically universal, you should look at the 48.0 weight as being 2 lbs removed from the 50.0 weight norm. You cannot guarantee the odds of gear dropping. You could farm a dungeon for weeks or months and not see the thing you want drop, and you might never find someone selling it. There's still grandfathered items floating around and it's nice to dream about but in the end, crafted gear is not only designed to be the reliable standard, but enchanted gear is in fact the endgame equipment for most combatants. This has been passed down by Soren on the forums in the past, and whatever you think of it, that means crafted gear is essentially the baseline and should be judged as such, since it is an exception that players choose to use other gear in combat when crafted stuff covers your bases and enchanted gear excels.
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.