You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Dye mannequins  (Read 718 times)

Asous

Dye mannequins
« on: November 08, 2020, 06:24:05 AM »
While addition of the dye mannequins was excellent, there's one final thing that irks me about them somewhat. Dying your outfit is a very OOC thing, from the fact that you're staring at a mannequins that magically changes colours, the chat spam and the fact that it takes quite the length of time to get everything just right. I'll admit that I spend longer than most on customising outfits so maybe this is a me issue.

I'd suggest adding a number of these mannequins to the OOC lounge, given dying your outfit is an OOC act - while the effects can be roleplayed, the act itself renders you quite literally unable to read anything in either chat boxes given every change in page, colour selected or part selection floods the chat box.

An alternative would be to disable the messages printed in the chat box when you change an outfit colour or model.

FinalHeaven

• Ba'al Verzi
  • The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • dat boi
Re: Dye mannequins
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 10:19:42 AM »
Yes please to dye dummies in the OOC area.

Corpus

• New to the Mists
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2020, 10:21:59 AM »
I approve this message. +1

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2020, 10:33:15 AM »
Dying your outfit much like modifying it is an IC act actually, which is also why dummies aren’t available everywhere with all dyes. While QOL is important it shouldn’t override the IC world.

Asous

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2020, 10:50:35 AM »
I fail to see how staring at a mannequin wearing your clothing is an IC act, considering everyone does it solo. If that is the case, you're missing every message typed because of the useless information printed in the chat boxes.

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2020, 10:52:37 AM »
I fail to see how staring at a mannequin wearing your clothing is an IC act, considering everyone does it solo. If that is the case, you're missing every message typed because of the useless information printed in the chat boxes.

The process isn't perfect, and for the longest time, we actually only limited these dummies to DM/OOC areas because indeed they're stretching the limits of what is IC, but if we are to consider them OOC, since the dying process is an IC one, we'll go back to when people had to use the dyes on themselves directly. As it is, it's a compromise, but if players treat them fully OOCly they'll go back to New Character Area/DM ship only, not to the Lounge, because ultimately the process of dying your outfit should be an IC one.

Glowfire

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2020, 11:23:25 AM »
There's plenty of people who RP out their tailoring and dying clothes etc.

It's very difficult however to RP at the same time as someone's dying clothing or looking through clothing options via the rest menu due to the amounts of feedback messages which is created in the chat log. I feel like the feedback messages would be better placed in the combat log (as with merchant buy/sale, picking items up & putting them down).

Is it IC? Yeah... but the message feedback is the 'issue'.
Liss Santraeger - "Life is a song. Don't be scared to sing along."
Eglantine Desrosiers - "A rose is still a rose, even if it has only one petal left."

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2020, 11:56:58 AM »
There's plenty of people who RP out their tailoring and dying clothes etc.

It's very difficult however to RP at the same time as someone's dying clothing or looking through clothing options via the rest menu due to the amounts of feedback messages which is created in the chat log. I feel like the feedback messages would be better placed in the combat log (as with merchant buy/sale, picking items up & putting them down).

Is it IC? Yeah... but the message feedback is the 'issue'.

Which messages specifically? If you can provide examples (screenshot), would be even better, to know which part is disruptive, and to whom.

ObsidianOrb

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2020, 02:58:18 PM »
The original post has a small point, but ultimately the dying dummies are there for your convenience, if they where removed we would loose that convenience, and dying would revert back to being a very difficult and expensive thing to do. With the added ability to dye parts of the clothing/armour colours that you would not ordinarily be able too, because the appearance modifying was set to  Cloth/Leather/Metal, removing the dummies would make dying clothes/armor a very laborious affair, with lots of trail and error, it would also be prohibitively expensive for many characters.

At one point we used to have to buy individual pots of cloth, leather, and metal dyes. In which you had to guess which part of your clothing was cloth/leather or metal, and this was very impractical to keep track of.

Removing the dummies and going back to this wouldn't bring any positive change, so while I think there is some merit in saying that the dummies are a little inconvenient to explain IC, the alternative would be heavily restrictive, and would be a step back.

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2020, 03:50:11 PM »
I've always just run with the expectation that you go to the tailor, you talk design, they size you up, and they develop it based upon your designs.

Your character is not really a tailor, metalworker, or leatherworker unless they have those crafts, in which case they could make their own rather than rely on someone else's labour. But you still go there for the facilities they offer. Or you buy bulk dye pots and do it on your own somewhere, whatever way you want to do the process really.

I think it'd be nice to be able to do customisation in private. You can usually rely on inn rooms for this if your character is doing it on their own. At least they lock, unlike Emanuelle's changing rooms.

I also think there is merit to pushing the messages to the combat log, if that's possible. It might not be since it uses a dialogue. Not much combat going on when you're customising your gear.
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

Favee

• Undead Master
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2020, 10:15:28 PM »
Which messages specifically? If you can provide examples (screenshot), would be even better, to know which part is disruptive, and to whom.

When using a Dye dummy my chatlog is completely filled with the dialogue window of the Dye dummy itself.  Here is a screenshot.  Trying to find people talking between these messages can be difficult, as flipping through the colors, applying dyes to each section of the armor etc.  Will all fill your chatbox with text.  (Please do not think less of me for my dye choice.)

« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 12:45:03 AM by Ori »
Discord: Favee#4934