Author Topic: The Halfbloods Dance  (Read 567 times)

NorthernStorm

• New to the Mists
The Halfbloods Dance
« on: November 03, 2020, 05:17:46 AM »
The Inconsequential Memories of a Half Vistana

Rozalina Ionescu

NorthernStorm

• New to the Mists
Re: The Halfbloods Dance
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 06:36:38 AM »
The writers style seemed unfocused, the quill with which it was written clearly held unsteadily. A few curly spots on the paper seem to indicate some liquid having dripped on it at some point during the writing

I have been watching the candleflame for a while now, until I decided to begin writing. My teacher, the old Ilja, once said that writing got easier once one had actually started doing it. For all his faults, he had possessed a certain amount of wisdom it seemed. That is, when his mind was not more occupied with placing his hand around a bottle of cheap alcohol or under the skirts of girls, which at one memorable occasion earned him a strike with a bottle from one of the former.

This corner of Barovia has recently seen a flurry of activity. A small army of outlanders has arrived here, and so have a variety of dark creatures. Vrolocks, neuri, some glowing warrior followed by undead, reptilian lizard creatures who probably are crocodiles or alligators, judging by what Theodore told me.
I spoke to a vrolock who's next victim I would have likely become if I had not rejected its advances, while it still cared to preserve its cover. Shapechangers hide among the outlanders. It's frightening to say the least, to know that the moment I turn my back to someone, they might turn into a monstrosity, ready to slit my throat.

Still, it is not all bad. I have made great strides when making tonics. It almost feels like I have a natural instinct for this, possibly earned by my fathers heritage. Or maybe not. I know little enough about the vistani, and my own blood has given me little enough in terms of insight. I have made some new acquaintances and even friends recently. Tall and kind Ekaterina, the minstrel with the wonderful voice Crina, the handsome foreigner Theodore... and many more. I know many of them will dissipate if and when the current situation is resolved, which, insane as it may sound, almost makes me wish it will not be. Particularly since I have seen some I would not mind getting a little friendlier with...

I am a stupid girl, aren't I? Aunt Mariena always said so, and as much as I may resent her for it, maybe she has a point there. Still, sometimes I do wish I had a pair of arms around me when I fall asleep. Even if it may not last. This gets even worse during the nights of the full moon, when the lunatio strikes fully. I am strong willed, so I suffer it less harshly than others might, yet I am by no means immune to its effects, even if the worst does not strike me too often. Lying alone in bed, sleepless night after night seems to make the sensations worse. I am alone with my thoughts with little enough to distract myself, which is part of why I often work in the night. Better to stand at the kettle brewing than that.

Maybe it is a result of this that I am wearing this now. After the first of my most recent sleepless nights I got this idea of getting a dancers outfit. It is quite scandalous, leaving most of my legs, belly and arms uncovered. My mother would possibly die of shock if she saw me in it. Yet... I like the look of myself in it. It was probably frivolous, even foolish that I decided to make it. Why would I even have reason to wear it? Yet, possessing it makes an inexplicable part of me a little happier. And in times like these, one has to take what one can get.

NorthernStorm

• New to the Mists
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 09:49:40 AM »
I sometimes think that only few questions have been asked in Barovia as often as the one for why. It was the first one that came to mind when I found the mutilated outlander woman with her dead friend north of Lake Zarovich. I only have a vague idea of the horror she must have gone through and I think this was maybe the first time I truly understood the meaning of the word evil. I am no stranger to the ferocity nature can show. I have killed animals, I have seen animals kill and it is not a pretty sight. Nature can be pretty yes, but it can be just as harsh and brutal. One thing it is not however, is cruel for the sake of ideals, sheer sadism, or cruelty itself.

In a way, that is what truly frightens me. I hope the womans wounds, physical and mental, will heal in time. For all my talents as a herbalist, I know however, no tonics that can truly heal the latter.

NorthernStorm

• New to the Mists
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2020, 01:00:15 PM »
Once more I read the cards.

The transmuter, the dictator,  the philanthropist.

I am still unsure if my ability to read the tarokka is anything but idle guesswork, or maybe by own views informing me of what part of me thinks I should do. But if so, is that any worse then if I could actually read the future through them? For ultimately, is it not a revelation for the things on my own mind? I have found new guidance through them I think. Now the question is... how to approach it.