You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: [Subrace suggestion] Full blooded FR Orc  (Read 777 times)

White

• New to the Mists
[Subrace suggestion] Full blooded FR Orc
« on: October 27, 2020, 03:59:05 PM »
Greetings!

I'd like to throw out the suggestion to introduce full blooded forgotten realm Orcs into the mix of playable races.
The Orc Society is quite unique in style, and Orcs in general brings for a different style of characters which could be interesting to include in the mix, more so for outcast groups and such.

I'd think they'd a good choice overall for a race inclusion :)

JustMonika

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
Re: [Subrace suggestion] Full blooded FR Orc
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 06:18:09 PM »
I think these would be neat behind an app wall.

Cyber Viking

• Undead Master
  • Discord: Cyber Viking#6572
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 06:29:43 PM »
I think these would be neat behind an app wall.

Would be a cool AMPC race to play too.

White

• New to the Mists
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 07:00:11 PM »
Seems like a strange choice to put a Orc behind a AMPC, when Tanarukk is considered a regular subrace you may apply for?
It also makes no sense to be a AMPC, as its a ECL 0 race, which isn't particularly powerful at all, nor does it seem to fit in the overall theme of other AMPC's.

I'd rather think its more suitable as a normal subrace, potentially application walled if need be.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 07:04:00 PM by White »

Philos

• Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
  • Developers
  • Dark Lord
  • Detruisez tous, c'est une obligation!
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 07:25:21 PM »
How would a full Orc be substantially unique from a Half Orc?

slash

• Dark Lord
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2020, 08:09:36 PM »
I feel like a full-blooded orc option, as a race, would rob half-orcs and caliban of their niche, and as Philos says, they really don't seem substantially different than half-orcs. There is a tribal aspect to them, but with orcs not being native to Ravenloft, I find the idea that a clan would be established to be a bit far-fetched, so I don't see the RP being there, sadly.
"My soul is overflowing with obeisant reverence, and Your Most Illustrious Excellency of benignity, to you I most humbly bow." -Francesco Ferdinando Alfieri.

White

• New to the Mists
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2020, 04:24:26 AM »

Giving it some though, you are correct that Half orcs generally operate much like Orcs with the exception that they belong to both worlds.
I suppose it might not be enough value in terms of difference and uniqueness to be worth the development time required thou i do think they do offer a different flavor to the type.

Primary difference between a Orc and a Half orc is the choices they have available to them on Ravenloft.
Half orcs are, by definition half, and generally can adapt itself to both Orcish culture and human society, thou outcasts (more so on ravenloft) but they would be able to generally interact with other adventurers, and even if dislike be tolerated by elves and dwarven individuals, as Dwarves say, their half bad... because their half an orc.

Full-blooded on the other hand both struggling with their beastial temper, rage and fury (Half orcs suffer from this too, but to a lesser degree) makes them unsuited for the normal "civilized" lifestyle even if they somehow got accepted by another community, their bloodlust generally drives their activities and their generally prone to either be fighting, or preparing to fight (free time activities usually revolves around training, sparring, or preparing for a raid outside of gathering necessities and hunting).

A Orc would mean the character has to adept to a harsh situation where your choices of allies are limited, thou half orcs would remain valuable allies due to their ability to mix and potentially work as couriers and messengers for yourself who'd have to generally remain in the background.

There is also the fact that Gruumsh hold's control of his orcish kind rather harshly, and even Orcs whom were to abanadon Gruumsh will often hear him whispering in their ear gauging them on or feel his presence during the bloodlust of battle, thou half orcs too can experience this to some degree.. Gruumsh truly does not let go of his children and Orcs are surprisingly religious and follow their deities command.. not to mention every Orc is taught from youth about the betrayal of the other races deities.
Of when the gods gathered for the lottery of domains, where they would select which gods races got what territory, the other gods trigged the election.. and nothing was given to the Orcs.. instead Gruumsh ripped open the mountains to make the caves.. swearing his children would claim that which was stolen.

This drives Orcs to have a mentality that all was stolen, and they have a need to reassert this.. more so when a cleric begins to call for a great crusade, which they'd gather a hoard to form under a warchief to "reclaim"... few orcs escape this pattern with the exception of King Obould I Many-Arrows and some his descendants whom amazingly enough was intelligent enough to form a stable kingdom, thou rift with struggle as Orcs in general does not adapt to periods of peace easily.

Anyhow, Orcs do offer a different perspective, in a way by limiting their way of simply getting along with as many other races, and on the point that their warlike nature and bloodlust is ever more present than in a half orc, thou half orcs too ones that are present.

The last point is most half orcs are the result of a less than ideal situation, giving way to a sad past.. i generally don't favor such "pasts" for my character, as a upbringing for a half orc usually is extremely rough, be it in Orcish society or human society. While a Orc is just another clan member.

Ashbringer85

• New to the Mists
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2020, 06:22:59 AM »

Well you could ask the same about Tanarukk or difference between High Elves, Moon elves and any other except for a few sub species like drow. There will always be cross over between races that are similar but there will be differences, especially in RP. I think the main difference in an Orc would be the way people would react to him, they are outcasts even in FR but half-orcs are not. I would also say that Half-Orc's have more potential to be smart or even charismatic due to mixed heritage...where as an Orc its extremely rare. I would also argue that Orcs are even more driven by instinct than a half-orc having undiluted blood.

I don't think they would rob calibans or Half orcs of their place....but I do think it would be extremely hard to survive on Ravenloft as an Orc.