Author Topic: The Blightwood - East, trap placement/type overkill?  (Read 620 times)

Duayne

• Undead Slayer
The Blightwood - East, trap placement/type overkill?
« on: October 26, 2020, 03:30:05 PM »
While I didn't check out too much of this area, the trap size that leaves very little room to scoot past, paired with the traps seeminly being acid fog (Examining them states they are "Electrical Trap, Strong", but triggering them does seem to cast acid fog under a different name)and assuming this dungeon is aimed at the lower level bracket, being in western Barovia seems very overkill and overly punishing, especially for traps that cannot be disabled and given little room to get around.

Comparing this to the
Spoiler: show
fireball traps in the warerat den in the VoB
, where plenty of room is available to get around them due to being undisablable, or the pitfall trap in the
temple of Hotep
Which is sometimes troublesome to get around, which comes with a rather low DC saving throw to avoid the trap, and I've seen many people trigger this accidently, and none of them have failed.

One thing I will really praise in this area, is the requirement for an item, that is often only carried for RP reasons now having a use to access a shortcut. At least this is my only find that requires this item.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 05:11:00 PM by Duayne »

inkcorvid

• Dark Power
Re: The Blightwood - East, trap placement/type overkill?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 03:54:42 PM »
Fireball traps (eg. in Eastern Barovia) when examined also seem to appear as "Electrical Trap, Strong". I guess "Electrical Trap, Strong" is the default fallback for any weird trap?
Active: Nissa Arden, Chiara Grassini
Shelved: Dindalmogra Ggol, Serinda Takmarin, Lyra Rimewood, Sofie Reiss, Aidelina Gatteux, Odette Sautereau, Livny Skovgaard, Innogen Ashe
Closed: Anjeza Bajramovic, Nim Farboffle

DM Erebus

• Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 06:46:52 PM »
While I didn't check out too much of this area, the trap size that leaves very little room to scoot past, paired with the traps seeminly being acid fog (Examining them states they are "Electrical Trap, Strong", but triggering them does seem to cast acid fog under a different name)and assuming this dungeon is aimed at the lower level bracket, being in western Barovia seems very overkill and overly punishing, especially for traps that cannot be disabled and given little room to get around.

Comparing this to the
fireball traps in the warerat den in the VoB
, where plenty of room is available to get around them due to being undisablable, or the pitfall trap in the
temple of Hotep
Which is sometimes troublesome to get around, which comes with a rather low DC saving throw to avoid the trap, and I've seen many people trigger this accidently, and none of them have failed.

One thing I will really praise in this area, is the requirement for an item, that is often only carried for RP reasons now having a use to access a shortcut. At least this is my only find that requires this item.

Assuming it's functioning properly, which it should be, I fear you may have missed the intended bypass solution.

Warning, this spoiler tells you how to deal with the traps.
Destroy the placeable projectile sources.

Duayne

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 06:58:19 PM »
Yup, I did... Whoops, great design then! :oops: