Author Topic: Wererats in the city - Questions!  (Read 1425 times)

Ashbringer85

• New to the Mists
Wererats in the city - Questions!
« on: October 16, 2020, 06:39:24 AM »
Hey everyone! New to the server! Currently playing Lilith Veltrose but thinking about rolling another character with a friend and we could use some help on the lore.

Well I know there are wererats that come up to the city at night and the guard cannot stop them but I have a few questions as to their behaviour that could be observed/studied by anyone with an interest in doing so quite easily but not in game mechanics. Given a good vantage point and an ultra vision or dark vision I believe most of this information could be observed. So here are my questions!

1)Why do they come to the surface at night? is it for food/hunting? If so how often are they killing people? are they picky on what food they eat?

2) When the count wanders are the Wererats smart enough to stay out of his way? Do they hide from him or just attack him like anyone else?

3) Wererats are fairly strong but it seems they do not break into homes very often, why? (this might be harder to work out)

4) Are there any places the wererats avoid?

This is all information that might be useful at some point in the future. If these answers even exist lore wise would be good to know! thanks!

PrimetheGrime

• Full-time Hunter, Part-time Outlaw
  • The Wayfarer Kinship
  • Dark Power
Re: Wererats in the city - Questions!
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 07:45:03 AM »
1) The reasonings of the Wererat would depend on what type of Wererat you're dealing with. Majority of the Wererats in the city are "Shady guy" npcs, which would imply a wererat gang of sorts. It's not out of the realm of reason to give them different reasonings based on your observations.

2) This is more a foic as there's no way you'd know for certain, but a Wererat is conventionally a coward/survivalist.

3) They would either need reason to, or have the means to do so. Most Wererats don't stray too far from their friends for a reason ;)

4) A bit of a foic as well, though Wererats will avoid dangerous places, such as where groups of strong people gather

Any more information than that, I'd suggest finding yourself a DM or a player who can tell you more about their habits

Myrza

• Dark Lord
  • Under the Crimson Sun...
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 07:51:56 AM »
If you want some lore, you can check the wererat mpc thread on the forum! I will leave the link here

Most of the lore can be found in character though I highly recommend you to talk to people about it if your character is interested in wererats.

Dardonas

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2020, 08:16:08 AM »
Like others have said, you would probably have an easier (and more fun) time finding out in character.  As for what your character would observe, I would highly suggest clearing stuff with a DM first and trying to FOIC firsthand.  You may even be able to arrange a time with one to observe behavior in game.  I also recently finished my portrayal of my wererat AMPC and you won't be hard pressed to find people who've done some research on him or have observations to give. 

1) My wererat came out at night because the moon was a trigger for him, though not all wererats have lunar-based triggers.  It's also advantageous to sneak around during this time.  They're opportunistic, clever, and certainly not suicidal as many guards patrol the streets in the day with silver weapons.  If the average commoner crossed a wererat in the sewers or at night, they probably would end up being eaten, robbed, or both.  They wander about for many reasons, since they're vastly varied -- food (people), theft, curiosity, and territory.  There is also an element of mischief that I had integrated into my AMPC as well.  They're as diverse as people are.

2) Since wererats often compete for the same sources of food as vampires or other undead, they tend to stay away from them as they're weaker.   If the Count was walking about (highly unlikely, by the way), a wererat would likely not cross his path and would likely hunt elsewhere.  That said, each wererat would respond differently.  If he was dressed in valuables, a more daring wererat might try and pickpocket him (and probably not fare as well).

3) Wererats actually aren't all that strong. As for home invasion -- it wouldn't surprise me if it is technically more prevalent when you pull back the curtain of the "NPC world" vs. the "PC world."  Though, numbers, light, and locked doors would easily deter a wererat, who would better spend that time looking for an easier score.

4) Wererats avoid crowds and well-lit places.  If they can't sneak around and skulk the shadows, they probably won't go there.  They also aren't accustomed to going someplace crowded or enclosed, where they can be encircled or trapped.   While it doesn't answer what places wererat's avoid, they are territorial and would probably prefer to stalk out an area marked out as their own.

The link posted by Myrza will probably cover most of this, though there is much more nuance not included that you'd best find out in character.

Ashbringer85

• New to the Mists
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2020, 10:29:35 AM »
Our idea is not to know what a Wererat is...but how they behave within the city at night. So far as I am aware there is no scripted behaviour for them beyond attack anyone on sight and spawn when a person is nearby. Also far as i am aware there is no rooftop or overlooking vantage point accessable in game that gives a decent view of the streets. Watching whats going on would be very foolish from the street level and a needless risk. However we are a long way off needing to know all this was just wondering if it was something anyone looked into and it appears not.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 10:32:19 AM by Ashbringer85 »

Cyber Viking

• Undead Master
  • Discord: Cyber Viking#6572
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2020, 12:45:45 PM »
Our idea is not to know what a Wererat is...but how they behave within the city at night. So far as I am aware there is no scripted behaviour for them beyond attack anyone on sight and spawn when a person is nearby. Also far as i am aware there is no rooftop or overlooking vantage point accessable in game that gives a decent view of the streets. Watching whats going on would be very foolish from the street level and a needless risk. However we are a long way off needing to know all this was just wondering if it was something anyone looked into and it appears not.

Stealth Mode is a great tool for watching things and remaining safe. No need for a roof top over look.

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2020, 01:04:04 PM »

For all NPCs (including wererats), beyond what is scripted behavior is DM purview only. Your PC can interpret that scripted behavior in varying ways from personal perspective, but to behave in a way that goes beyond what the NPC actually does is considered cheesing. If you would like to RP something more meaningful than what is scripted, you should request an interaction with wererats that involves a DM operating one or more of them.

MPC wererats, on the other hand, can have as many varied motivations and behaviors as any PC.

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

HouseOfLament

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2020, 03:03:57 PM »

To join the Society of Erudites one must complete original research that survives Erudite peer-review.  This seems like a good research topic.  Who can say whether anyone else has looked into this before, I think this server has been running well over a decade now.  I think that current and former Erudite players will be helpful in how to approach this topic and it seems that you could benefit from coordination with a DM (who chooses to support this activity over the possible many other things that can be supported with their limited time -- it's not a sure thing)
Discord: Delawhere

Current:

Dementlieu: Willem van der Hoot, Outlander Beguiler
Barovia: Oliver Blumfeld, Mordentish Shaman

Previous: Anton Durand, Ezrite Cleric of the Fekete Sereg

PlatointheCave

• Dark Lord
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2020, 03:32:05 PM »
Wererats? In Vallaki?

A fine topic for research.