Author Topic: Cleric domain questions/deity lore  (Read 1134 times)

Hathor

• Dark Lord
Cleric domain questions/deity lore
« on: September 24, 2020, 07:26:31 AM »
Hello! While researching various faith's lore I've noticed some missing information and/or inconsistencies in the lore and domains of a few gods, specifically Akiri ones. I'm ondering if there can be a re-evaluation of the domains and/or lore descriptions for the following gods. They aren't mentioned much in the server's material, but the server's material itself contradicts what is written on the forums.

Referencing the Akiri pantheon which seems out of date or not consistent with canon.

For example, Hathor is listed as merely a goddess of happiness. However, in-game the Harp of Lyre expresses a completely different lore. The lore on the lyre is consistent with ancient Egyptian mythology and seems more likely to be the true canon lore.

She has no domains or  listed as an Akiri goddess, despite being powerful enough to have a magical item in game that references her existing worship. Two Hathors are listed elsewhere, for FR and ancient Egypt, but neither reference her focus on music.

Spoiler: show

I wish to note that I recognize Egyptian lore =/= Akiri lore, however, the game itself matches Egyptian lore in this respect. If Hathor is actually merely a goddess of happiness, the Lyre of Hathor should be renamed. I personally think the forums and wiki should be amended to match the Egyptian. The Egyptian version of course has many aspects to her, but something I've noticed in my research of ancient Egyptian music is that she is ALWAYS the big god mentioned for music.

Hathor's current domains: None (possibly Good or Luck)
Suggested domains: Copy the Ancestral Choir due to the high similarities (Mora, Luck). Alternatively, Mora/Death, Mora/Sun, Mora...trickery? The domains aren't too useful to choose from.
Suggested alignment: TN

Sources:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hathor
https://worldmusiccentral.org/2016/04/21/hathor-ancient-egypts-goddess-of-music/
Hathor being named prominently in discussions of music:
https://exhibitions.kelsey.lsa.umich.edu/galleries/Exhibits/MIRE/Introduction/AncientEgypt/AncientEgypt.html
https://www.ancient.eu/article/1075/music--dance-in-ancient-egypt/

and in this form she had a vengeful aspect that protected him from his enemies.Her beneficent side represented music, dance, joy, love, sexuality and maternal care...

Hathor has dual aspects, "good and evil", a balance, making her a good candidate for Neutral as well as music.

Bes is listed as a protector god for the Akiri, which is more accurate to Egyptian mythology. However the Egyptian mythology one lists:

Bes [m]   Luck, Protection, Trickery   CN

Which is not really accurate to Egyptian lore aside from protection, as Bes appears to merely be noted as a household protection god. There is a Bes icon in game which I think is Akiri rather than Egyptian, and is an icon of luck.

My suggestion is that the lore be adjusted to match whatever the icon of Bes states (I'm trying to get a screenshot of it to verify).

Nepthys is not noted at all in the Akiri pantheon, despite being a major aspect of Egyptian mythology. She is the wife of Set and twin sister of Isis, and very close to the goddess. She was just as major a goddess as Isis, just less popularly known in modern times.

she was associated with mourning, the night/darkness, service (specifically temples), childbirth, the dead, protection, magic, health, embalming, and beer.

Domain suggestions: Death, Darkness, Repose
Alignment suggestion: TN

Neith is the creator goddess of Egyptian lore, which wouldn't matter much except that she is mentioned in Akiri lore. For this reason it seems useful to include her domains.

"Neith is a goddess of war and of hunting, and had as her symbol two arrows crossed over a shield."

"She was said to be the creator of the universe and all it contains, and she governs how it functions. She was the goddess of wisdom, weaving, the cosmos, mothers, rivers, water, childbirth, hunting, war, and fate. She was a warlike goddess."

Suggested domains: War, Strength, Slaughter, Knowledge
Alignment suggestion: TN

Hathor

• Dark Lord
Re: Cleric domain questions/deity lore
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 07:11:25 PM »
Update!

Bes is indeed noted as an Akiri god of luck as well as protection, so I suggest "Luck" be added to his domain. Thank you tom for the screenshot!